Mailing List Archive: Zope: CMF

Getting i18n to fire

Zope cmf RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Jun 30, 2010, 2:16 AM

Getting i18n to fire

Hi,

I've noticed that the CMF now does not do i18n work, ie. all
notifications, form values, etc. are the default values. At the same time
I've noticed the new buildout directives in trunk related to i18n. I think
I'm just not joining the dots - what do I need to do if I want a CMF site
with i18n running?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

y.2010 at wcm-solutions

Jun 30, 2010, 3:23 AM

Re: Getting i18n to fire [In reply to]

Hi!

Charlie Clark wrote:
> I've noticed that the CMF now does not do i18n work, ie. all
> notifications, form values, etc. are the default values. At the same time
> I've noticed the new buildout directives in trunk related to i18n. I think
> I'm just not joining the dots - what do I need to do if I want a CMF site
> with i18n running?

The only thing missing are (publicly available) translations.

CMF/trunk is currently unmaintained, maybe we should merge CMF.buildout
back into CMF. But that's a different discussion. Anyway the "Installing
Translations for CMF" part of INSTALL.txt is still correct:
http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/INSTALL.txt?rev=82766&view=auto

Maybe with the addition that zope.app.locales is no longer part of Zope
trunk. So you have to add it as a dependency to get formlib messages
translated.

The i18n parts in buildout.cfg are just necessary for updating the .pot
files.

Translations are not shipped with CMF because so far nobody wanted to be
responsible for maintaining them.

HTH,

Yuppie

charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Jun 30, 2010, 4:00 AM

Re: Getting i18n to fire [In reply to]

Am 30.06.2010, 12:23 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:

> CMF/trunk is currently unmaintained, maybe we should merge CMF.buildout
> back into CMF. But that's a different discussion.

I meant CMF.buildout/trunk...

> Anyway the "Installing
> Translations for CMF" part of INSTALL.txt is still correct:
> http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/INSTALL.txt?rev=82766&view=auto

Duh! RTFM Charlie! ;-) But we should at least get this information on to
the PyPI page and/or into docs.zope.org

> Maybe with the addition that zope.app.locales is no longer part of Zope
> trunk. So you have to add it as a dependency to get formlib messages
> translated.

Thanks for the tip.

> The i18n parts in buildout.cfg are just necessary for updating the .pot
> files.

> Translations are not shipped with CMF because so far nobody wanted to be
> responsible for maintaining them.

This is entirely understandable given the resources available. I wonder
how many CMF (as opposed to Plone) sites are actually multilingual? I
usually need only one language.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Jul 1, 2010, 7:03 AM

Re: Getting i18n to fire [In reply to]

Am 30.06.2010, 12:23 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:

Hiya,

> Maybe with the addition that zope.app.locales is no longer part of Zope
> trunk. So you have to add it as a dependency to get formlib messages
> translated.

I've done this and the i18n still isn't firing - it's pretty much just the
formlib stuff that needs translating as the rest of the site is in German.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

y.2010 at wcm-solutions

Jul 1, 2010, 7:16 AM

Re: Getting i18n to fire [In reply to]

Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 30.06.2010, 12:23 Uhr, schrieb yuppie<y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:
>> Maybe with the addition that zope.app.locales is no longer part of Zope
>> trunk. So you have to add it as a dependency to get formlib messages
>> translated.
>
> I've done this and the i18n still isn't firing - it's pretty much just the
> formlib stuff that needs translating as the rest of the site is in German.

Well. It works for me. Do you have registrations like these in your product?

<i18n:registerTranslations directory="locales"/>
<configure package="zope.app.locales">
<i18n:registerTranslations directory="."/>
</configure>

HTH, Yuppie

charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Jul 1, 2010, 7:32 AM

Re: Getting i18n to fire [In reply to]

Am 01.07.2010, 16:16 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:

> Well. It works for me. Do you have registrations like these in your
> product?
> <i18n:registerTranslations directory="locales"/>
> <configure package="zope.app.locales">
> <i18n:registerTranslations directory="."/>
> </configure>

ah, that, along with the necessary
xmlns:i18n="http://namespaces.zope.org/i18n" declaration was missing.
Working great now.

To clarify: localisation requires *one* declaration per site. Either as
above or adding zope.app.locales to a the buildout zcml list?

Each package that needs localisation resources must have its own
registered "locales" resource directory?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director