Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Zope: CMF

Portal type actions

 

 

Zope cmf RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


charlie at begeistert

Mar 29, 2010, 12:21 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1304 views)
Permalink
Portal type actions

Me again ;-),

it now says in the actions tab of a portal type:
"""Storing actions here is deprecated. Please move to using Action and
Action Category objects. See the CMF ActionsTool implementation for
details. Starting with CMF 2.4, the "Actions" tab will no longer be shown
for tools provided by the CMF."""

This might be glaringly obvious but how do I add a type-specific action to
the CMF such as "Rename Items" for folders without adding this to the type
information?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-938-5360
GSM: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


y.2010 at wcm-solutions

Apr 9, 2010, 1:07 AM

Post #2 of 10 (1258 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

Hi!


Better late than never...

Charlie Clark wrote:
> it now says in the actions tab of a portal type:
> """Storing actions here is deprecated. Please move to using Action and
> Action Category objects. See the CMF ActionsTool implementation for
> details. Starting with CMF 2.4, the "Actions" tab will no longer be shown
> for tools provided by the CMF."""
>
> This might be glaringly obvious but how do I add a type-specific action to
> the CMF such as "Rename Items" for folders without adding this to the type
> information?

That warning should not show up for type-specific Actions. They are not
deprecated. This is a bug.

There were different opinions how to modernize these Actions, so we are
still stuck with the old implementation.


Cheers,

Yuppie
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Apr 9, 2010, 1:54 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1256 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

Am 09.04.2010, 10:07 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:

> That warning should not show up for type-specific Actions. They are not
> deprecated. This is a bug.

I'll remove it from editToolsActions.dtml then. Can we backport this to
CMF 2.2?

> There were different opinions how to modernize these Actions, so we are
> still stuck with the old implementation.

In my work on the Absolut skin I noticed that Actions don't enforce icon
expression deprecation as TypeTools do. I don't know if anybody's looked
at this but I'd like to make icons as CSS images.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


jens at dataflake

Apr 9, 2010, 1:58 AM

Post #4 of 10 (1256 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 4/9/10 10:54 , Charlie Clark wrote:
>> That warning should not show up for type-specific Actions. They are not
>> deprecated. This is a bug.
>
> I'll remove it from editToolsActions.dtml then. Can we backport this to
> CMF 2.2?

Sure.


> In my work on the Absolut skin I noticed that Actions don't enforce icon
> expression deprecation as TypeTools do. I don't know if anybody's looked
> at this but I'd like to make icons as CSS images.

Sounds like a good idea.

jens

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAku+7D4ACgkQRAx5nvEhZLLmhQCbBxJ1tvdSeCjYzx0glVQOEQsM
wW4AoIYfInf2JgA+hBezlpLCW1XNC7S/
=VEo7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Apr 9, 2010, 2:09 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1257 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

Am 09.04.2010, 10:58 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens [at] dataflake>:

>> I'll remove it from editToolsActions.dtml then. Can we backport this to
>> CMF 2.2?
> Sure.

Committed to trunk. For 2.2 do I just make the same change to the branch?

>> In my work on the Absolut skin I noticed that Actions don't enforce icon
>> expression deprecation as TypeTools do. I don't know if anybody's looked
>> at this but I'd like to make icons as CSS images.

> Sounds like a good idea.

@@icons.css will check for the action icons property and return a CSS
appropriately. Unfortunately it currently actions globally so you either
have icons (Cut, Publish, Folder) or not. Fine for menus but not if you
want to be able to use the same CSS in content in say the folder list
view. Still thinking on the best way to approach this so that using them
is as easy as possible. I suppose composing the CSS like class="action
icon folder" and "icon folder" is probably the best way to do this.

My tests showed me that the view is about 50% slower than simply returning
CSS from the file system. While I don't think this to be a real issue, it
would be nice to have it not run the checks for every page rendering.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


y.2010 at wcm-solutions

Apr 9, 2010, 2:12 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1255 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

Hi!


Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 09.04.2010, 10:07 Uhr, schrieb yuppie<y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:
>
>> That warning should not show up for type-specific Actions. They are not
>> deprecated. This is a bug.
>
> I'll remove it from editToolsActions.dtml then. Can we backport this to
> CMF 2.2?

That warning is correct for all the tools, just not for type Actions.
Please don't remove the warning completely. I propose to use a condition
or to override the form for type Actions if necessary.

>> There were different opinions how to modernize these Actions, so we are
>> still stuck with the old implementation.
>
> In my work on the Absolut skin I noticed that Actions don't enforce icon
> expression deprecation as TypeTools do. I don't know if anybody's looked
> at this but I'd like to make icons as CSS images.

I hope we find a way to use the new implementation for type Actions as
well. Maintaining the old code for ever was not my plan.


Cheers

Yuppie
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


jens at dataflake

Apr 9, 2010, 2:16 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1257 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 4/9/10 11:09 , Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 09.04.2010, 10:58 Uhr, schrieb Jens Vagelpohl <jens [at] dataflake>:
>
>>> I'll remove it from editToolsActions.dtml then. Can we backport this to
>>> CMF 2.2?
>> Sure.
>
> Committed to trunk. For 2.2 do I just make the same change to the branch?

Why would you make a different change on the branch? ;-) (This is
piddly stuff, you don't need to ask. Only feature changes on the branch
require assent.)

jens
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAku+8GYACgkQRAx5nvEhZLIVPACfXCDxKaGapOPDoaL3vaFoq0z3
NZMAn3P/kQTcKEzb7/eGblPbanpTR+W4
=h9lU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Apr 9, 2010, 3:24 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1257 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

Am 09.04.2010, 11:12 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:

> That warning is correct for all the tools, just not for type Actions.
> Please don't remove the warning completely. I propose to use a condition
> or to override the form for type Actions if necessary.

Ah, I see it - the actions, types, catalog, and skins too have an Actions
tab all to themselves. I've never noticed that before and never used them
and by the Actions tool that's down right confusing! I'd better revert the
change. Can't think of an easy condition to check for.

>>> There were different opinions how to modernize these Actions, so we are
>>> still stuck with the old implementation.
>>
>> In my work on the Absolut skin I noticed that Actions don't enforce icon
>> expression deprecation as TypeTools do. I don't know if anybody's looked
>> at this but I'd like to make icons as CSS images.

> I hope we find a way to use the new implementation for type Actions as
> well. Maintaining the old code for ever was not my plan.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


y.2010 at wcm-solutions

Apr 9, 2010, 5:53 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1258 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

Hi Charlie!


Charlie Clark wrote:
> Am 09.04.2010, 11:12 Uhr, schrieb yuppie<y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:
>
>> That warning is correct for all the tools, just not for type Actions.
>> Please don't remove the warning completely. I propose to use a condition
>> or to override the form for type Actions if necessary.
>
> Ah, I see it - the actions, types, catalog, and skins too have an Actions
> tab all to themselves. I've never noticed that before and never used them
> and by the Actions tool that's down right confusing! I'd better revert the
> change. Can't think of an easy condition to check for.

Type Actions are the *only* place where the old Actions are not
deprecated. So a check for ITypeInformation (or an attribute specific to
that interface) should be sufficient.

If you don't want to fix this: Could you please revert your change on
the trunk and make a bug report?


Cheers,

Yuppie
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests


charlie.clark at clark-consulting

Apr 9, 2010, 5:59 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1257 views)
Permalink
Re: Portal type actions [In reply to]

Am 09.04.2010, 14:53 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2010 [at] wcm-solutions>:

> Type Actions are the *only* place where the old Actions are not
> deprecated. So a check for ITypeInformation (or an attribute specific to
> that interface) should be sufficient.

Do I have access to the "context" variables in DTML or do I have to pass
them in?

> If you don't want to fix this: Could you please revert your change on
> the trunk and make a bug report?

I don't mind trying to fix it but I've reverted it so that it can be
properly fixed.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Zope-CMF maillist - Zope-CMF [at] zope
https://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-cmf

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope-cmf/ for bug reports and feature requests

Zope cmf RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.