Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

Bad Xen RAM Performance

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

probst at informatikteam

Aug 5, 2012, 2:10 AM

Bad Xen RAM Performance

Hello there,

I have bad performance on a special DomU application. I did some benchmarks and wonder about bad RAM performance at my DomU. First I used Passmark because the application Maintainer requests it. The Values “Read cached”, “Read uncached” and “Large memory” are very bad. To compare Dom0 and DomU, I setup a second DomU with linux and check them with ramspeed (a cache and memory benchmarking tool) for linux and other. I run several ramspeed test on dom0 and my linux and windows domUs. The test results on the DomUs were only about half as good as on Dom0.

Is there a way to increase the RAM performance on DomU? Do you have such problems, too?

My setup:

Dom0:
HP DL360g7
CPU: 1x Xeon E5645 @ 2.4 GHz (six core CPU)
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 RDIMM @ 1333MHz ECC
HDD: 2x 300 GB SAS 10k RAID I
OS: SLES11 SP2 with XEN 4.1.2 from suse

DomU:
Windows 2008 R2 64bit
CPUs: 4
RAM: 8GB
Virtual Disk configured with LVM

At the moment, no other DomUs running.

Thanks
Martin

i.A. Martin Probst

Informatik Team GmbH
Allensteiner Strasse 79
56566 Neuwied

Tel.: 02631/9692-15
Fax.: 02631/9692-20
www.informatikteam.de

Finanzamt Neuwied:
Steuer-Nr.: 32/660/1524/9

Geschäftsführer:
Jürgen A. Boos; Utz Hafner
HRB 14034; AG Montabaur

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

probst at informatikteam

Aug 7, 2012, 2:19 AM

Re: Bad Xen RAM Performance [In reply to]

Hello,

no, I haven't tried this. I'll test it next days. My XEN Version is 4.1.2

i.A. Martin Probst

Informatik Team GmbH
Allensteiner Strasse 79
56566 Neuwied