Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

xen i/o errors

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kacper at kacper

Jun 11, 2012, 1:59 AM

xen i/o errors

Hello,
I've been trying to setup xen on Debian Squeeze but it isn't going that well.
When booting with the xen/hypervisor kernel the system hangs with i/o
errors thrown in console. The standard kernel is working fine and the
disk has been tested and swapped.
Errors include:
ata1.00: failed command: READ DMA
task xend:1404 blocked for more than 120 seconds
Buffer I/O error on device sda1
end_request: I/O error, dev sda
Attachments: dmesg.20120610 (41.5 KB)

kacper at kacper

Jun 10, 2012, 4:17 PM

xen i/o errors [In reply to]

When booting with the xen/hypervisor kernel the system hangs with i/o
errors thrown in console. The standard kernel is working fine and the
disk has been tested and swapped.
Errors include:
ata1.00: failed command: READ DMA
task xend:1404 blocked for more than 120 seconds
Buffer I/O error on device sda1
end_request: I/O error, dev sda
Attachments: dmesg.20120610 (41.5 KB)

kacper at kacper

Jun 11, 2012, 3:38 PM

Re: xen i/o errors [In reply to]

At least can someone point me to where and how I can start debugging
this problem. Could it be an IRQ conflict?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Kacper <kacper [at] kacper> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been trying to setup xen on Debian Squeeze but it isn't going that well.
> When booting with the xen/hypervisor kernel the system hangs with i/o
> errors thrown in console. The standard kernel is working fine and the
> disk has been tested and swapped.
> Errors include:
> ata1.00: failed command: READ DMA
> task xend:1404 blocked for more than 120 seconds
> Buffer I/O error on device sda1
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

cdelorme at gmail

Jun 11, 2012, 3:40 PM

Re: xen i/o errors [In reply to]

Hello,

Additional information about your hardware might help others debug the
situation.

What version of Xen are you using? Are you compiling or is it from the
package manager?

I have experienced a DMA READ issue before but I have no idea if it is
relative to your configuration. Something to do with a Marvell SATA
controller and intel's IOMMU, which was optional when compiling the kernel
but required fror VT-d/IOMMU Passthrough.

I don't know if that is much help to you, but feel free to add more system
information to help everyone debug.

~Casey

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Kacper <kacper [at] kacper> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been trying to setup xen on Debian Squeeze but it isn't going that
> well.
> When booting with the xen/hypervisor kernel the system hangs with i/o
> errors thrown in console. The standard kernel is working fine and the
> disk has been tested and swapped.
> Errors include:
> ata1.00: failed command: READ DMA
> task xend:1404 blocked for more than 120 seconds
> Buffer I/O error on device sda1
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda

> Xen-users [at] lists
> http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

kacper at kacper

Jun 11, 2012, 4:00 PM

Re: xen i/o errors [In reply to]

Thanks,

Let's see now.

Xen version: xen-hypervisor-4.0-i386 (4.0.1-4)
Kernel: 3.2+44~bpo60+1 (debian squeeze backport)

It was all installed using apt-get (eg. the package manager).

The system I have xen troubles with is a Dell PowerEdge 2600 (32-bit,
2 x 1 Xeon. no Intel Vt-d) with a via_sata controller and two sata
drives.

Intel IOMMU, doesn't that require Intel Vt-d?

Please let me know if there is more information I can provide.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Casey DeLorme <cdelorme [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Additional information about your hardware might help others debug the
> situation.
>
> What version of Xen are you using?  Are you compiling or is it from the
> package manager?
>

> I have experienced a DMA READ issue before but I have no idea if it is
> relative to your configuration.  Something to do with a Marvell SATA
> controller and intel's IOMMU, which was optional when compiling the kernel
> but required fror VT-d/IOMMU Passthrough.
>
> I don't know if that is much help to you, but feel free to add more system
> information to help everyone debug.
>
> ~Casey
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Kacper <kacper [at] kacper> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I've been trying to setup xen on Debian Squeeze but it isn't going that
>> well.
>> When booting with the xen/hypervisor kernel the system hangs with i/o
>> errors thrown in console. The standard kernel is working fine and the
>> disk has been tested and swapped.
>> Errors include:
>> ata1.00: failed command: READ DMA
>> task xend:1404 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>> Buffer I/O error on device sda1
>> end_request: I/O error, dev sda

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

cdelorme at gmail

Jun 11, 2012, 4:14 PM

Re: xen i/o errors [In reply to]

Thanks, that helped me begin looking for you.

Unfortunately going on these posts your hardware may not work with Xen out
of the box:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-90/xen-on-debian-hangs-my-machine-4175410758/

http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2010-07/msg00696.html
http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2010-07/msg00699.html

No responses to a 2010 post is not promising, but the second of the two
archived messages states that there is no hardware virtualization on the
PowerEdge 2600.

Not sure where to proceed from here, I have never used server hardware.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Kacper <kacper [at] kacper> wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> Let's see now.
>
> Xen version: xen-hypervisor-4.0-i386 (4.0.1-4)
> Kernel: 3.2+44~bpo60+1 (debian squeeze backport)
>
> It was all installed using apt-get (eg. the package manager).
>
> The system I have xen troubles with is a Dell PowerEdge 2600 (32-bit,
> 2 x 1 Xeon. no Intel Vt-d) with a via_sata controller and two sata
> drives.
>
> Intel IOMMU, doesn't that require Intel Vt-d?
>
> Please let me know if there is more information I can provide.
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Casey DeLorme <cdelorme [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Additional information about your hardware might help others debug the
> > situation.
> >
> > What version of Xen are you using? Are you compiling or is it from the
> > package manager?
> >

> > I have experienced a DMA READ issue before but I have no idea if it is
> > relative to your configuration. Something to do with a Marvell SATA
> > controller and intel's IOMMU, which was optional when compiling the
> kernel
> > but required fror VT-d/IOMMU Passthrough.
> >
> > I don't know if that is much help to you, but feel free to add more
> system
> > information to help everyone debug.
> >
> > ~Casey
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Kacper <kacper [at] kacper> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >> I've been trying to setup xen on Debian Squeeze but it isn't going that
> >> well.
> >> When booting with the xen/hypervisor kernel the system hangs with i/o
> >> errors thrown in console. The standard kernel is working fine and the
> >> disk has been tested and swapped.
> >> Errors include:
> >> ata1.00: failed command: READ DMA
> >> task xend:1404 blocked for more than 120 seconds
> >> Buffer I/O error on device sda1
> >> end_request: I/O error, dev sda

> Xen-users [at] lists
> http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

kacper at kacper

Jun 13, 2012, 1:55 PM

Re: xen i/o errors [In reply to]

Hi,

I tried to make a debug trace of xend and I think I found something relevant.

---
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/lib/xen-4.0/lib/python/xen/xend/xenstore/xswatch.py",
line 63, in watchMain
   we = xs.read_watch()
Error: (22, 'Invalid argument')
---

Can this be causing the machine to hang (it appears multiple times in
the trace, and the trace ends with this error)? The whole log can be
found at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1008610/xend.trace.txt