Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

domU backup strategy

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

slawek.k_xl at wp

domU backup strategy

I'm looking for efficient backup method of all domUs. I've searched the group and googled for perfect backup solution - without good enough results.

My configuration is following (PV):
3 zones: FW, DMZ, LOC

dom0 in LOC minimal config, only hypervisor
domU1 as FW with OpenVPN running
domU2 in DMZ with external services
domU3 in LOC with local services

All domains run with LVM. I can afford for some downtime during the night to make consistent snapshots. Domains are reasonably small < 10 GB. Presumably domU3 will have DB partition growing ~150MB / week.
Now, dom0 won't have an acces to the Internet when domU1 is down. However, I can reconfigure interface on dom0 when doing backup - but I don't want dom0 to have direct access to the net.

Therefore, the idea would be to keep snapshots in separate logical volumes and then mount them to additional domain that will send them to NFS attached with VPN. This solution would require 2x disk space, assuming that volumes would be copied and other domains already running.
I can keep them stopped and then send the snapshots via NFS, but this would increase the downtime significantly.

By copied I mean rsynced :)
I plan to backup dom0 by making LVM snapshot on unmounted system.

How it can be done better ?

Slawomir Kosowski

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

jonnyt at abpni

Re: domU backup strategy [In reply to]

On 17/05/2012 09:44, SÅ‚awek Kosowski wrote:
> I'm looking for efficient backup method of all domUs. I've searched the group and googled for perfect backup solution - without good enough results.
>
> My configuration is following (PV):
> 3 zones: FW, DMZ, LOC
>
> dom0 in LOC minimal config, only hypervisor
> domU1 as FW with OpenVPN running
> domU2 in DMZ with external services
> domU3 in LOC with local services
>
> All domains run with LVM. I can afford for some downtime during the night to make consistent snapshots. Domains are reasonably small< 10 GB. Presumably domU3 will have DB partition growing ~150MB / week.
> Now, dom0 won't have an acces to the Internet when domU1 is down. However, I can reconfigure interface on dom0 when doing backup - but I don't want dom0 to have direct access to the net.
>
> Therefore, the idea would be to keep snapshots in separate logical volumes and then mount them to additional domain that will send them to NFS attached with VPN. This solution would require 2x disk space, assuming that volumes would be copied and other domains already running.
> I can keep them stopped and then send the snapshots via NFS, but this would increase the downtime significantly.
>
> By copied I mean rsynced :)
> I plan to backup dom0 by making LVM snapshot on unmounted system.
>
> How it can be done better ?
>
> Slawomir Kosowski
Generally, my "rule of thumb" is to just take a snapshot of the running
DomU and rsync it to the destination. No downtime required. I completely
ignore consistency issues, except where it is really important. For
example, if a DomU runs a database, I also run an additional backup
method (eq SQL dump from within the DomU).

Hope this makes sense

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

linux at thehobsons

Re: domU backup strategy [In reply to]

>I've searched the group and googled for perfect backup solution

There is no such thing.

You'll see there have been a couple of "fairly vigorous" discussion
of the subject in this list. Look for a thread called "Backup domU"
from July last year - I think everything was "well discussed" then.

--
Simon Hobson