Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

Debian Squeeze SAMBA3 und XEN

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sk71 at gmx

Debian Squeeze SAMBA3 und XEN

Hi @ll,

i use XEN with Debian Squeeze Server (amd64). I installed a minimal
Debian Squeeze System and then install/configure XEN like the howto (
http://wiki.debian.org/Xen)

Further on i installed on same system a SAMBA3 server as PDC with server
based user profiles.

The server is configured with two network cards, but SAMBA is configured
to use (bind) only one of them.

Is it a problem to use both XEN and SAMBA3 on the same machine?

I ask this, because i have trouble with this SAMBA installation.

Thanks.

Best regards
Stefan

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Ian.Campbell at citrix

Re: Debian Squeeze SAMBA3 und XEN [In reply to]

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 23:54 +0100, S. Kremer wrote:
> Hi @ll,
>
> i use XEN with Debian Squeeze Server (amd64). I installed a minimal
> Debian Squeeze System and then install/configure XEN like the howto (
> http://wiki.debian.org/Xen)
>
> Further on i installed on same system a SAMBA3 server as PDC with server
> based user profiles.
>
> The server is configured with two network cards, but SAMBA is configured
> to use (bind) only one of them.
>
> Is it a problem to use both XEN and SAMBA3 on the same machine?

I've not heard of any problems with Samba vs Xen, although I don't run
Samba myself so I've not got any direct experience of the sorts of
issues one might encounter.

In general you should be able to run anything in a virtual machine which
you would run on a physical host, that's rather the point ;-) (there are
obviously exceptions, e.g. requirements to access particular hardware
etc)

Ian.

> I ask this, because i have trouble with this SAMBA installation.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Best regards
> Stefan

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

linux at thehobsons

Re: Debian Squeeze SAMBA3 und XEN [In reply to]

Ian Campbell wrote:

>In general you should be able to run anything in a virtual machine which
>you would run on a physical host, that's rather the point ;-) (there are
>obviously exceptions, e.g. requirements to access particular hardware
>etc)

I've come across another incompatibility. Netatalk won't start up
it's Appletalk protocol daemon - it needs multicast which doesn't
seem to be provided by the virtual NIC driver.

--
Simon Hobson

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Ian.Campbell at citrix

Re: Debian Squeeze SAMBA3 und XEN [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 13:01 +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> >In general you should be able to run anything in a virtual machine which
> >you would run on a physical host, that's rather the point ;-) (there are
> >obviously exceptions, e.g. requirements to access particular hardware
> >etc)
>
> I've come across another incompatibility. Netatalk won't start up
> it's Appletalk protocol daemon - it needs multicast which doesn't
> seem to be provided by the virtual NIC driver.

Yes, that's right there's no multicast support in the PV drivers (at
least the Linux ones) -- an interesting compatibility issue which I had
never considered.

Ian.