Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

[XCP] [XAPI] General Question about XenAPI on Debian 32 / 64 bit Dom0

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cyberhawk001 at gmail

[XCP] [XAPI] General Question about XenAPI on Debian 32 / 64 bit Dom0

I have also been very confused with this change around with where to ask
questions about XenAPI. I have asked the following in the Xen-API list,
but no one answered SO i am trying it here, so please be considerate as
i have been following this thread on here and on Xen-api, but until it
is figured out, it will be a mess it seems like. So anyways i was
wondering about 3 pretty simple things regarding XenAPI:
Just have a few simple questions that I am still not 100% clear about.

I have looked thru the past 5months of posts on the Xen-api list, but
those have not answered all of my questions. I have read thru the Kronos
Wiki page,
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XCP_toolstack_on_a_Debian-based_distribution
like so many out there have, which i also wish was updated with more
current information... :) , and read thru other wiki pages and etc...

*My software Setup:*
Operating System: Debian Wheezy 64 bit
Kernel: Kernel 3.3.4, compiled from source and
enabled all Xen features into the kernel, nothing are modules, nothing
else was changed.
Xen: Xen 4.2-unstable, cloned and compiled
from the mercurial, and i believe revision 25256 was the last i compiled.

*Questions:*
The above setup seems to work and i can reboot the system into Xen
4.2-unstable, but have not done much else with it for now. I am wanting
to install the XenAPI on it so i can try to use Citrix XenCenter to
manage the creation / installing of VMs and do all that fun stuff from a
Windows based computer. What i am not clear about is:

*1.)* Some websites say the XenAPI needs / recommends a 32bit Dom0 to
run on, some say the 64 bit version is there and is experimental, so a
work in progress. SOO, since i like my 64bit Wheezy Dom0, will the
XenAPI install and run fine on that a 64bit Dom0? As of today, is there
a 64bit version of the XenAPI?

*2.)* In the above Viki guide (and again wish it was more current), you
can only install the XenAPI by running the two commands:

sudo apt-get install xcp-xapi
sudo apt-get install xcp-xe

HOWEVER, i already have complied and installed Xen 4.2-unstable and the
xcp-xapi package depends on xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64, xen-utils-4.1 and
others, which it will download and install it automatically. SO,
wouldn't that mess up my installation of Xen 4.2-unstable already
running on there? Is there a way to install just the XenAP Toolstack and
not let it install the xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 and other related things?

*3.)* Sometimes it is nice to have the latest revision of the XenAPI
toolstack, so to get that you need to compile form source. if you do the

git clonehttps://github.com/jonludlam/xapi-autobuilder.git

and run make, does it also try to download or install the
xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 with it OR compiles just the toolstack. Looking
at the README file, it says *"This repository serves as an autobuilder
for xapi and all of it's dependencies, to include the Xen hypervisor
itself. "* I guess that means it will build or retrieve the
xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 OR similar. SO, again any way to get it to NOT
do that and just compile and build the XenAPI toolstack so you can
install that on a system with a compiled Xen from source?

Well, at least i think the above things make sense or was worded
correctly AND thank you in advanced for any advice...