Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

How to set up 1GBit NIC for "Other template" on XCP 1.5

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ms at it-infrastrukturen

How to set up 1GBit NIC for "Other template" on XCP 1.5

Hello,

I didn't find any information in the reference manual for xen-server 6.

When installing e.g. Ubuntu 11.10 there is RTL-8139 with "only 10/100MBit".

Thank you in advance for any hints.

regards, Mark

--
ms [at] it-infrastrukturen

http://rsync.it-infrastrukturen.org

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

linux at thehobsons

Re: How to set up 1GBit NIC for "Other template" on XCP 1.5 [In reply to]

Mark Schneider wrote:

>When installing e.g. Ubuntu 11.10 there is RTL-8139 with "only 10/100MBit".

I assume you are talking about installing a PV guest, and this is the
only NIC that shows up ? You needn't worry as this is a virtual NIC,
there is actually nothing explicitly limiting data rates as there is
with a real NIC (where rates are determined by hardware).

The actual rate achieved will be limited by the real NICs in the
host, and the ability of the networking thread in Dom0 to shift the
bits around.

--
Simon Hobson

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

ms at it-infrastrukturen

Re: How to set up 1GBit NIC for "Other template" on XCP 1.5 [In reply to]

Am 14.04.2012 21:18, schrieb Simon Hobson:
> Mark Schneider wrote:
>
>> When installing e.g. Ubuntu 11.10 there is RTL-8139 with "only
>> 10/100MBit".
>
> I assume you are talking about installing a PV guest, and this is the
> only NIC that shows up ? You needn't worry as this is a virtual NIC,
> there is actually nothing explicitly limiting data rates as there is
> with a real NIC (where rates are determined by hardware).
>
> The actual rate achieved will be limited by the real NICs in the host,
> and the ability of the networking thread in Dom0 to shift the bits
> around.

Thanks a lot for your hint Simon.

I use "Other template" and it is (as far I understood) HVM.

When transfering big size image from another stand alone server to the
VM (ubuntu 11.10) I have 4 to 12MBit/s only (and I saw RTL-8139 during
installation of this ubuntu-VM).

I have tested it yet also with CentOS 6.2 on the same XCP-host (I used
"Other template" for the VM too) and got network speed a bit over
30MBit/s. It would be to fast for 100MBit/s, so I am a bit confused now.

On bare metal I am getting over 70MBit/s (the host is an HP DL385g7
machine).

I use bounded interfaces however only one port is connected to the
switch at the moment.

--
ms [at] it-infrastrukturen

http://rsync.it-infrastrukturen.org

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

nd at syndicat

Re: How to set up 1GBit NIC for "Other template" on XCP 1.5 [In reply to]