Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12

 

 

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


cyberhawk001 at gmail

Apr 11, 2012, 8:56 AM

Post #1 of 7 (553 views)
Permalink
Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12

I am still trying to get Xen to run on my machine. This time around i
did the following:

1.) installed a clean Debian Squeeze
2.) Compiled and installed Kernel 3.3.1 (Config was setup with all
defaults using menuconfig AND all xen options were set to Y)
3.) Rebooted into Kernel 3.3.1
4.) Upgraded to Debian Wheezy
5.) Setup Serial output to a second PC using null-model cable and added
the following to /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4 console=com1,vga"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"

6.) Using Synaptic, installed *xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64*, *xen-tools
4.2.1-1*, and it installed all additional dependent packages.

7.) Added the following to /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4 console=com1,vga"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"


The downside is that once i add those lines above, i can't boot back
into the normal non-Xen kernel anymore....

8.) Rebooted into kernel 3.3.1 with Xen 4.1 AND recorded the trace log,
which ended with a KERNEL PANIC

I am not experienced with reading trace logs, SO i have attached it here
as a TXT file. I am hoping someone can take a quick peek at it as it is
not that long and see if it reveals anything of useful to why the kernel
panics.......

AS always thanks to all...


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attachments: Xen 4.1 Error Log.txt (13.2 KB)


desired.mta at gmail

Apr 11, 2012, 9:24 AM

Post #2 of 7 (517 views)
Permalink
Re: Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12 [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 18:56, <cyberhawk001 [at] gmail> wrote:
> I am still trying to get Xen to run on my machine.

Hi,
I tried to port Xen-4.1 to Squeeze as well. Was tough, but I did it
(without libvirt stack, anyway).

Basically I built *testing* packages on squeeze using pbuilder and
some hacks. Some info here:
http://m.jakstys.lt/tech/2012/03/xen-saga-part3/ (most info here)
http://m.jakstys.lt/tech/2012/02/xen-part-2/
http://m.jakstys.lt/tech/2012/02/xen_on_squeeze_laptop/

The hypervisor booted, I don't really remember did I made a VM. I used
kernel from testing as well (3 something, 3.2? Don't remember now).

After a while I gave up.. And now running Xen-4.0 from stable
packages. Because it's just too much hassle.

Tell us if you manage to run Xen 4.1 on Squeeze , and how :)

--
Motiejus Jakštys

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


Ian.Campbell at citrix

Apr 12, 2012, 12:14 AM

Post #3 of 7 (522 views)
Permalink
Re: Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12 [In reply to]

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 16:56 +0100, cyberhawk001 [at] gmail wrote:
> I am still trying to get Xen to run on my machine. This time around i
> did the following:
>
> 1.) installed a clean Debian Squeeze
> 2.) Compiled and installed Kernel 3.3.1 (Config was setup with all
> defaults using menuconfig AND all xen options were set to Y)
> 3.) Rebooted into Kernel 3.3.1
> 4.) Upgraded to Debian Wheezy
> 5.) Setup Serial output to a second PC using null-model cable and
> added the following to /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4 console=com1,vga"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"
> 6.) Using Synaptic, installed xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64, xen-tools
> 4.2.1-1, and it installed all additional dependent packages.
>
> 7.) Added the following to /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4 console=com1,vga"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"
>
> The downside is that once i add those lines above, i can't boot back
> into the normal non-Xen kernel anymore....

Not sure what this issue is

You might have wanted to use GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_XEN_REPLACE instead of
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX since the options you have used there are not going
to work with native, although I'd expect it to silently boot with no
console and then become available on the network.

>
> 8.) Rebooted into kernel 3.3.1 with Xen 4.1 AND recorded the trace
> log, which ended with a KERNEL PANIC

A bug was introduce into 3.1.12. A fix is in the pipeline for the next
update but in the meantime you can try reverting:

commit 73d63d038ee9f769f5e5b46792d227fe20e442c5
Author: Suresh Siddha <suresh.b.siddha [at] intel>
Date: Mon Mar 12 11:36:33 2012 -0700

x86/ioapic: Add register level checks to detect bogus io-apic entries

(I don't seem to see anything newer than 3.1.10 in the git tree, how
odd)

Ian.

>
> I am not experienced with reading trace logs, SO i have attached it
> here as a TXT file. I am hoping someone can take a quick peek at it as
> it is not that long and see if it reveals anything of useful to why
> the kernel panics.......
>
> AS always thanks to all...
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>



_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


cyberhawk001 at gmail

Apr 12, 2012, 5:46 AM

Post #4 of 7 (529 views)
Permalink
Re: Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12 [In reply to]

On 4/12/2012 3:14 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 16:56 +0100, cyberhawk001 [at] gmail wrote:
>> I am still trying to get Xen to run on my machine. This time around i
>> did the following:
>>
>> 1.) installed a clean Debian Squeeze
>> 2.) Compiled and installed Kernel 3.3.1 (Config was setup with all
>> defaults using menuconfig AND all xen options were set to Y)
>> 3.) Rebooted into Kernel 3.3.1
>> 4.) Upgraded to Debian Wheezy
>> 5.) Setup Serial output to a second PC using null-model cable and
>> added the following to /etc/default/grub
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4 console=com1,vga"
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"
>> 6.) Using Synaptic, installed xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64, xen-tools
>> 4.2.1-1, and it installed all additional dependent packages.
>>
>> 7.) Added the following to /etc/default/grub
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=115200,8n1,0x3f8,4 console=com1,vga"
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"
>>
>> The downside is that once i add those lines above, i can't boot back
>> into the normal non-Xen kernel anymore....
> Not sure what this issue is
>
> You might have wanted to use GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_XEN_REPLACE instead of
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX since the options you have used there are not going
> to work with native, although I'd expect it to silently boot with no
> console and then become available on the network.


Ya, when i modified those those two lines above in the
/etc/default/grub, i was just following the Wiki Page on enabling the
Serial Console on Xen so i could view or troubleshoot why Xen was not
booting. Just using the line GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN, adds all of those
commands to the end of the multiboot line in the grub.cfg for only the
XEN menuentries. If i also use the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX, it adds
those lines to just to the end of the kernel line for all non-Xen
menuentries. Which in this case, prevents those kernels from booting. SO
I don't think those are important to use anyways so i just omit the
changes to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and it works just fine.

>> 8.) Rebooted into kernel 3.3.1 with Xen 4.1 AND recorded the trace
>> log, which ended with a KERNEL PANIC
> A bug was introduce into 3.1.12. A fix is in the pipeline for the next
> update but in the meantime you can try reverting:
>
> commit 73d63d038ee9f769f5e5b46792d227fe20e442c5
> Author: Suresh Siddha<suresh.b.siddha [at] intel>
> Date: Mon Mar 12 11:36:33 2012 -0700
>
> x86/ioapic: Add register level checks to detect bogus io-apic entries
>
> (I don't seem to see anything newer than 3.1.10 in the git tree, how
> odd)
>
> Ian.


AHH ok i see, so this bug goes back that far in the Kernel revisions.
So, the kernel that comes compiled with Debian Wheezy is Kernel 3.2.0.2,
is that bug in that version as well or it has been patched / fixed. I
have tried before to use Wheezy with the kernel they have for it,
3.2.0.2 and install Xen 4.1 from Synaptic and all that, still didn't
boot. BUT, that was before when i didn't have the Serial Console Setup
yet, so don't know what the error messages where.

IF Kernel 3.1.10 does not have those kind of bugs, i suppose i can just
mess around with that version instead. Really do not know how much XEN
options or etc have changed from kernel 3.1.10 to 3.3.1 as those are the
only things i am concerned about, but if they haven't, than Kernel
3.1.10 sounds perfectly ok for me

REALLY, wish this was a bit easier, BUT all i want to find is just ONE
stable kernel that perfectly plays nice with XEN and is in the 3.xx.xx range


>> I am not experienced with reading trace logs, SO i have attached it
>> here as a TXT file. I am hoping someone can take a quick peek at it as
>> it is not that long and see if it reveals anything of useful to why
>> the kernel panics.......
>>
>> AS always thanks to all...
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


Ian.Campbell at citrix

Apr 12, 2012, 7:16 AM

Post #5 of 7 (517 views)
Permalink
Re: Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12 [In reply to]

(please don't drop people from the CC line)

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 13:46 +0100, cyberhawk001 [at] gmail wrote:
> >> 8.) Rebooted into kernel 3.3.1 with Xen 4.1 AND recorded the trace
> >> log, which ended with a KERNEL PANIC
> > A bug was introduce into 3.1.12. A fix is in the pipeline for the next
> > update but in the meantime you can try reverting:
> >
> > commit 73d63d038ee9f769f5e5b46792d227fe20e442c5
> > Author: Suresh Siddha<suresh.b.siddha [at] intel>
> > Date: Mon Mar 12 11:36:33 2012 -0700
> >
> > x86/ioapic: Add register level checks to detect bogus io-apic entries
> >
> > (I don't seem to see anything newer than 3.1.10 in the git tree, how
> > odd)
> >
> > Ian.
>
>
> AHH ok i see, so this bug goes back that far in the Kernel revisions.

Actually, I think I misspoke in a confusing way.

A patch was recently added upstream which broke Xen support in the Linux
kernel. It was unfortunately then backported to various stable (3.x.y)
trees. If you go back one version from the latest on any of those then
you should be ok.

v3.4-rc1 was buggy but AFAIK v3.4-rc2 is OK.

It seems that v3.3.1 and v3.2.14 both got the bad backport. However
3.3.0 and 3.2.13 should both be OK as far as I know. I expect that 3.3.2
and 3.2.15 will get the fix too.

> So, the kernel that comes compiled with Debian Wheezy is Kernel 3.2.0.2,

> is that bug in that version as well or it has been patched / fixed. I
> have tried before to use Wheezy with the kernel they have for it,
> 3.2.0.2 and install Xen 4.1 from Synaptic and all that, still didn't
> boot. BUT, that was before when i didn't have the Serial Console Setup
> yet, so don't know what the error messages where.

The last ".2" should be "-2" and is the Debian revision. The underlying
kernel would be 3.2.0. I don't think 3.2.0 has the bug mentioned above,
but it may well have had some other.

Wheezy right now has 3.2.12-2 which I think should be OK.

> IF Kernel 3.1.10 does not have those kind of bugs,

v3.1.10 doesn't look to have the error in question. But actually I'm not
sure where 3.1.10 comes from, the only mention of 3.1.y is 3.1.12 in
your subject line (which is what confused me when I could only find
3.1.10, since 3.1.10 is actually the latest) but your text only refers
to 3.3.1 anyway so the mention of 3.1.12 seem to be entirely spurious.
As noted above 3.3.1 has the bug, while 3.3.0 does not.

Ian.


_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


giamteckchoon at gmail

Apr 12, 2012, 7:37 AM

Post #6 of 7 (511 views)
Permalink
Re: Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12 [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell [at] citrix> wrote:
> (please don't drop people from the CC line)
>
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 13:46 +0100, cyberhawk001 [at] gmail wrote:
>> >> 8.) Rebooted into kernel 3.3.1 with Xen 4.1 AND recorded the trace
>> >> log, which ended with a KERNEL PANIC
>> > A bug was introduce into 3.1.12. A fix is in the pipeline for the next
>> > update but in the meantime you can try reverting:
>> >
>> > commit 73d63d038ee9f769f5e5b46792d227fe20e442c5
>> > Author: Suresh Siddha<suresh.b.siddha [at] intel>
>> > Date:   Mon Mar 12 11:36:33 2012 -0700
>> >
>> >      x86/ioapic: Add register level checks to detect bogus io-apic entries
>> >
>> > (I don't seem to see anything newer than 3.1.10 in the git tree, how
>> > odd)
>> >
>> > Ian.
>>
>>
>> AHH ok i see, so this bug goes back that far in the Kernel revisions.
>
> Actually, I think I misspoke in a confusing way.
>
> A patch was recently added upstream which broke Xen support in the Linux
> kernel. It was unfortunately then backported to various stable (3.x.y)
> trees. If you go back one version from the latest on any of those then
> you should be ok.
>
> v3.4-rc1 was buggy but AFAIK v3.4-rc2 is OK.
>
> It seems that v3.3.1 and v3.2.14 both got the bad backport. However
> 3.3.0 and 3.2.13 should both be OK as far as I know. I expect that 3.3.2
> and 3.2.15 will get the fix too.

Yes, it is in stable queue tree and it currently under review/rc:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=blob;f=queue-3.0/revert-x86-ioapic-add-register-level-checks-to-detect.patch;h=8918314741edb229d6fbaeb0b634753ad927fda1;hb=1c23e65fb052a6e31ac7fb67ceb9bdb3afda1dc3

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=blob;f=queue-3.2/revert-x86-ioapic-add-register-level-checks-to-detect.patch;h=0b24a11689a78b410633bd67e8887957d2be747b;hb=1c23e65fb052a6e31ac7fb67ceb9bdb3afda1dc3

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=blob;f=queue-3.3/revert-x86-ioapic-add-register-level-checks-to-detect.patch;h=656fb3d8dc220dc57f7f0ad2fb7aeda290578dab;hb=1c23e65fb052a6e31ac7fb67ceb9bdb3afda1dc3

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon


>
>> So, the kernel that comes compiled with Debian Wheezy is Kernel 3.2.0.2,
>
>> is that bug in that version as well or it has been patched / fixed. I
>> have tried before to use Wheezy with the kernel they have for it,
>> 3.2.0.2 and install Xen 4.1 from Synaptic and all that, still didn't
>> boot. BUT, that was before when i didn't have the Serial Console Setup
>> yet, so don't know what the error messages where.
>
> The last ".2" should be "-2" and is the Debian revision. The underlying
> kernel would be 3.2.0. I don't think 3.2.0 has the bug mentioned above,
> but it may well have had some other.
>
> Wheezy right now has 3.2.12-2 which I think should be OK.
>
>> IF Kernel 3.1.10 does not have those kind of bugs,
>
> v3.1.10 doesn't look to have the error in question. But actually I'm not
> sure where 3.1.10 comes from, the only mention of 3.1.y is 3.1.12 in
> your subject line (which is what confused me when I could only find
> 3.1.10, since 3.1.10 is actually the latest) but your text only refers
> to 3.3.1 anyway so the mention of 3.1.12 seem to be entirely spurious.
> As noted above 3.3.1 has the bug, while 3.3.0 does not.
>
> Ian.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Xen-users mailing list
> Xen-users [at] lists
> http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


cyberhawk001 at gmail

Apr 12, 2012, 7:39 AM

Post #7 of 7 (513 views)
Permalink
Re: Advice on compiling Xen 4.1.2 on Debian 6.0.4 Kernel 3.1.12 [In reply to]

> Actually, I think I misspoke in a confusing way.
>
> A patch was recently added upstream which broke Xen support in the Linux
> kernel. It was unfortunately then backported to various stable (3.x.y)
> trees. If you go back one version from the latest on any of those then
> you should be ok.
>
> v3.4-rc1 was buggy but AFAIK v3.4-rc2 is OK.
>
> It seems that v3.3.1 and v3.2.14 both got the bad backport. However
> 3.3.0 and 3.2.13 should both be OK as far as I know. I expect that 3.3.2
> and 3.2.15 will get the fix too.
>

Ahh ok i see. Casey DeLorme also mentioned that the Kernel 3.3.0 worked
fine for him so i will probably try that one.



>
> The last ".2" should be "-2" and is the Debian revision. The underlying
> kernel would be 3.2.0. I don't think 3.2.0 has the bug mentioned above,
> but it may well have had some other.
>
> Wheezy right now has 3.2.12-2 which I think should be OK.

OK ya i had the version wrong before. When looking on Synaptic, the
version i see is *linux-image-3.2.0-2-amd64* (assuming x64 of course). I
don't see 3.2.12-2, and doesn't mean its not there, so not a big deal.

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.