Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

kernel panic on Gentoo kernel 3.3.1

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

davidshen84 at gmail

kernel panic on Gentoo kernel 3.3.1

Hi,

My base system is Gentoo x86. I have both kernel 3.2.11, and 3.3.1 on my
system. With 3.2.11, the system can boot as native and xen dom0. With
3.3.1, system can boot in native mode without any problem. But when I try
to boot as xen dom0, I got kernel panic, and the system got reboot
automatically.

My 3.3.1 kernel configuration file is copied from 3.2.11, and build with
'make oldnoconfig'. So I think the kernel configuration is basically the
same.

The system reboot so quickly, I cannot see what was the exact messages. I
remember I saw 'PCI' and 'IRQ'...

--
Regards´╝î
David Shen

http://about.me/davidshen
https://twitter.com/#!/davidshen84

modelnine at modelnine

Re: kernel panic on Gentoo kernel 3.3.1 [In reply to]

Am 11.04.2012 12:05, schrieb Xi Shen:
> My base system is Gentoo x86. I have both kernel 3.2.11, and 3.3.1 on
> my system. With 3.2.11, the system can boot as native and xen dom0.
> With 3.3.1, system can boot in native mode without any problem. But
> when I try to boot as xen dom0, I got kernel panic, and the system
> got
> reboot automatically.

The 3.3.1 kernel (any variant, i.e. either vanilla-sources or
gentoo-sources) is broken wrt. being used as a Xen-Dom0 pv_ops-system;
it has a bug stemming from incorrectly trying to validate the
virtualized IOAPIC. In case you (reverse-)apply the attached patch, it
will boot (and work) properly.

--
--- Heiko.
Attachments: message-rfc822.eml (3.66 KB)

fbcyborg at gmail

Re: kernel panic on Gentoo kernel 3.3.1 [In reply to]

On 11 April 2012 13:24, Heiko Wundram <modelnine [at] modelnine> wrote:
> The 3.3.1 kernel (any variant, i.e. either vanilla-sources or
> gentoo-sources) is broken wrt. being used as a Xen-Dom0 pv_ops-system; it
> has a bug stemming from incorrectly trying to validate the virtualized
> IOAPIC. In case you (reverse-)apply the attached patch, it will boot (and
> work) properly.
Thank you for the patch, but do you mean that such issue will affect
kernels >3.3.1 and higher versions up to an unknown date?

reverse-applying such patch worked for me too. Thank you.

--
Flavio

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

modelnine at modelnine

Re: kernel panic on Gentoo kernel 3.3.1 [In reply to]

Am 11.04.2012 14:18, schrieb Flavio:
> Thank you for the patch, but do you mean that such issue will affect
> kernels >3.3.1 and higher versions up to an unknown date?

Currently, I've not seen a confirmation that the corresponding patch
(which went into 3.3.1, because of an oversight) will be removed for
3.3.2, but I guess that's being worked on.

--
--- Heiko.

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

mcbeagle at gmx

Re: kernel panic on Gentoo kernel 3.3.1 [In reply to]

On Wednesday, 11. April 2012 14:18:10 Flavio wrote:
> Thank you for the patch, but do you mean that such issue will affect
> kernels >3.3.1 and higher versions up to an unknown date?
>
> reverse-applying such patch worked for me too. Thank you.

I also had the problem with kernel-3.3.1.
I gave kernel-3.4_rc2 (gentoo package 'git-sources') a try (mainly because of
the xen-acpi-processor driver) and it works w/o any problems so far.

Regards