Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users
Re: Windows 7 as guest on a physikal disk

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

alk at ondore

Re: Windows 7 as guest on a physikal disk [In reply to]

Hello.

El 10/04/12 08:52, Jens Krause escribió:
> Thanks Joseph, I am one step further. The setting
>
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda,hda,w' ]
>
> will boot from the disk. Since there is grub, I can see
> the grub menu in my vncviewer and I can choose Windows
> (which was installed without xen). That works and Windows
> is there.
>
> But I would prefer to use
>
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda1,hda,w' ]
>
> as you suggested (using partition sda1 and not whole disk sda)

Windows can't work with unpartitioned block devices. When you give it a
sda as hda, it will read the partition table, pick up it's system
partition and boot from it. When you give it sda1 as hda, it will expect
to read a partition table, fail, and give up.

The setup you are describing is possible, but it will render your
Windows installation unusable outside of hypervisor. All you have to do
is create a partition table within a partition. You can try to move your
existing Windows installation to a partition with something like
dd if=/dev/sda of=somefile
dd if=somefile of=/dev/sda1
...but that is tricky: the whole sda will not fit within sda1 by at lest
some hundreds of bytes, so you will have to shrink it somehow.

The whole thing is that:
- Windows unusable outside of hypervisor (but you probably could switch
hypervisors)
- it would be easer to make a clean install (Windows spirit is in that
phrase)

Oh, read your original message, you don't need to run windows outside of
Xen. My advice, reinstall. Why on a partition? LVM is much more flexible.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users