Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

k at itoc

Mar 28, 2012, 1:06 AM

Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x

I want to buy a working 10G NIC for use with linux 3.x. (and xen of course)

If you have any experience with certain cards (broadcom, intel etc..) I'd
really like to know about it.

*Not working:*
Qlogic QME8242-k 10GbE Dual Port Mezzanine Card Board

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

xenware at gmail

Mar 29, 2012, 3:46 PM

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

Hello,

definitely go Intel X520 (DA2 or SR1/2)

Br

Peter

Dne 28. bųezna 2012 10:06 Kristoffer Harthing Egefelt <k [at] itoc> napsal(a):
> I want to buy a working 10G NIC for use with linux 3.x. (and xen of course)
>
> If you have any experience with certain cards (broadcom, intel etc..) I'd
> really like to know about it.
>
> *Not working:*
> Qlogic QME8242-k 10GbE Dual Port Mezzanine Card Board

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

joseph.glanville at orionvm

Mar 31, 2012, 8:10 PM

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

On 30 March 2012 09:46, Peter Braun <xenware [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> definitely go Intel X520 (DA2 or SR1/2)

+1 For Intel NICs.
Also Mellanox are great for this sort of stuff.

IMO Intel NICs have the best support for SR-IOV which might come in
handy if you want to reach line-rate on your guests.

> Br
>
> Peter
>
> Dne 28. března 2012 10:06 Kristoffer Harthing Egefelt <k [at] itoc> napsal(a):
>> I want to buy a working 10G NIC for use with linux 3.x. (and xen of course)
>>
>> If you have any experience with certain cards (broadcom, intel etc..) I'd
>> really like to know about it.
>>
>> *Not working:*
>> Qlogic QME8242-k 10GbE Dual Port Mezzanine Card Board
>>
>> --
> Xen-users [at] lists
> http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

Joseph.

--
Founder | Director | VP Research
Orion Virtualisation SolutionsĀ |Ā www.orionvm.com.auĀ | Phone: 1300 56

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

mohitdhingras at gmail

Mar 31, 2012, 10:37 PM

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

*Hello All,*

I also want a 1-Gig SR-IOV NIC for my system (intel i7), which works with
Xen4.0 and OpenSUSE 11.4. Can you please suggest one.

*
----------------------------
Thanks & Regards
Mohit Dhingra
+919611190435*

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

On 1 April 2012 15:37, Mohit Dhingra <mohitdhingras [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I also want a 1-Gig SR-IOV NIC for my system (intel i7), which works with
> Xen4.0 and OpenSUSE 11.4. Can you please suggest one.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-031492.htm

List of adapters that suppot SR-IOV.

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

It depens on budget and purpose.

If your budget is low than you should definitely look at Infiniband.
You can get Mellanox or Qlogic IB 10/20 or even 40Gbps adapters at
unbelivatle prices. Just yesterday I spotted 40Gbps dual Qlogic
adapter for 200USD and 10Gbps dual card is easy to get for 20USD.

For small deployment it would be perfect option and i do not mention
other advantages of Infiniband (lower latency, bigger throughput etc.)

I think Infiniband popularity will rise rapidly with Windows 8 because
will have full support.

Br

Peter

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

On 2 April 2012 23:10, Peter Braun <xenware [at] gmail> wrote:
> It depens on budget and purpose.
>
> If your budget is low than you should definitely look at Infiniband.
> You can get Mellanox or Qlogic IB 10/20 or even 40Gbps adapters at
> unbelivatle prices. Just yesterday I spotted 40Gbps dual Qlogic
> adapter for 200USD and 10Gbps dual card is easy to get for 20USD.
>
> For small deployment it would be perfect option and i do not mention
> other advantages of Infiniband (lower latency, bigger throughput etc.)
>
> I think Infiniband popularity will rise rapidly with Windows 8 because
> will have full support.

I love Infiniband and we use it extensively. :)

However this doesn't answer his question unless Qlogic or Mellanox
have released SR-IOV Infiniband drivers without telling me!

Currently the only 2 vendors that have good (read: I have used/tested)
SR-IOV support are Intel and Mellanox Ethernet.

Joseph.

--
Founder | Director | VP Research
Orion Virtualisation SolutionsĀ |Ā www.orionvm.com.auĀ | Phone: 1300 56
99 52 | Mobile: 0428 754 846

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users

lsc at prgmr

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 04:47:53AM +1000, Joseph Glanville wrote:
> On 2 April 2012 23:10, Peter Braun <xenware [at] gmail> wrote:
> > It depens on budget and purpose.
> >
> > If your budget is low than you should definitely look at Infiniband.
> > You can get Mellanox or Qlogic IB 10/20 or even 40Gbps adapters at
> > unbelivatle prices. Just yesterday I spotted 40Gbps dual Qlogic
> > adapter for 200USD and 10Gbps dual card is easy to get for 20USD.
> >
> > For small deployment it would be perfect option and i do not mention
> > other advantages of Infiniband (lower latency, bigger throughput etc.)
> >
> > I think Infiniband popularity will rise rapidly with Windows 8 because
> > will have full support.
>
> I love Infiniband and we use it extensively. :)
>
> However this doesn't answer his question unless Qlogic or Mellanox
> have released SR-IOV Infiniband drivers without telling me!

Long before SR-IOV there was infiniband passthrough to PV xen guests.
I don't know if it's still included in Xen or if it works with full
HVM guests, but it was there at one time.

Re: Working 10gig NICs on linux 3.x [In reply to]

On 3 April 2012 06:14, Luke S. Crawford <lsc [at] prgmr> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 04:47:53AM +1000, Joseph Glanville wrote:
>> On 2 April 2012 23:10, Peter Braun <xenware [at] gmail> wrote:
>> > It depens on budget and purpose.
>> >
>> > If your budget is low than you should definitely look at Infiniband.
>> > You can get Mellanox or Qlogic IB 10/20 or even 40Gbps adapters at
>> > unbelivatle prices. Just yesterday I spotted 40Gbps dual Qlogic
>> > adapter for 200USD and 10Gbps dual card is easy to get for 20USD.
>> >
>> > For small deployment it would be perfect option and i do not mention
>> > other advantages of Infiniband (lower latency, bigger throughput etc.)
>> >
>> > I think Infiniband popularity will rise rapidly with Windows 8 because
>> > will have full support.
>>
>> I love Infiniband and we use it extensively. :)
>>
>> However this doesn't answer his question unless Qlogic or Mellanox
>> have released SR-IOV Infiniband drivers without telling me!
>
> Long before SR-IOV there was infiniband passthrough to PV xen guests.
> I don't know if it's still included in Xen or if it works with full
> HVM guests, but it was there at one time.

Alas it's been non-function for a very long time. :(
Smart-IO was one of the first projects but it was insecure and not
really fully functional, there was also another Infiniband PV project.
I am interested in hacking on this along with PVSCSI in the future.