Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users
Re: Windows 7 as guest on a physikal disk

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

kcobler at coblercorp

Mar 22, 2012, 7:05 AM

Re: Windows 7 as guest on a physikal disk [In reply to]

Quoting Jens Krause <jens.krause [at] eco-5>:

> Hallo,
>
> I have an installed Windows 7 on one partition
> and running Debain Squeeze on the other. Both are 64 bit.
> I want to use Xen to run Windows as virtual guest from
> a physical disk. Once I get this working the Window will
> never be booted directly.
>

> When I try to create the virtual machine by
> "xm create -c win.xen"
> it hangs.
>

> The versions I use
> Xen 4.0.1-4
> Kernel 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64

I believe with the version of Xen (or maybe the Linux OS), there was
an issue with physical device blocking.

I had a similar problem with Windows 2008.

I resolved the problem for my situation be simply creating the OS as a
file, mounting the device under Linux, then using the GPLPV drivers in
Windows to achieve decent disk throughput for the guest OS.

Ken Cobler

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users