Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

XCP & Openstack

 

 

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


eross at locatrix

Feb 28, 2012, 10:40 AM

Post #1 of 13 (1527 views)
Permalink
XCP & Openstack

Hey guys,

Has anyone had much success with XCP and Open Stack together?

I'm in the process of putting together a open stack test cluster and I
thought I might be able to use XCP dom0's for it.. but to be honest it
doesn't look so good.

I tried following these instructions on a separate XCP test machine:
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment

At a first test run I couldn't get the instructions to work for some
reasons I won't go into here, but before I spend too much time just fixing
that, I wanted to ask if there's any better information resources available?

Also, more to the point, what I really couldn't figure out from the wiki
article above: Do you have to run this special domU open stack guest on
every XCP machine in the cluster to make XCP work with Open Stack? I hope
not, otherwise that's quite a bit of over-head to get a server in the
cluster!

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Andrew


todd.deshane at xen

Feb 28, 2012, 12:04 PM

Post #2 of 13 (1485 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Has anyone had much success with XCP and Open Stack together?
>
> I'm in the process of putting together a open stack test cluster and I
> thought I might be able to use XCP dom0's for it.. but to be honest it
> doesn't look so good.
>
> I tried following these instructions on a separate XCP test machine:
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>
> At a first test run I couldn't get the instructions to work for some reasons
> I won't go into here, but before I spend too much time just fixing that, I
> wanted to ask if there's any better information resources available?
>

devstack works well with XCP:
https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/master/tools/xen


> Also, more to the point, what I really couldn't figure out from the wiki
> article above: Do you have to run this special domU open stack guest on
> every XCP machine in the cluster to make XCP work with Open Stack?

Yes.

> I hope
> not, otherwise that's quite a bit of over-head to get a server in the
> cluster!
>

There is a lot of benefit to this model, particularly in terms of
security and reliablity.

Take a look at slide 28 in particular:
http://www.slideshare.net/cloudstack/vbacd-xen-cloud-computing

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://blog.xen.org/
http://wiki.xen.org/

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


todd.deshane at xen

Feb 28, 2012, 12:08 PM

Post #3 of 13 (1483 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane [at] xen>
>
> devstack works well with XCP:
> https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/master/tools/xen
>

Also we are building and storing the xenapi plugins on xen.org
http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


eross at locatrix

Feb 28, 2012, 12:26 PM

Post #4 of 13 (1475 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

Thanks Todd!

I never saw this information before. Giving it a run right now.

I see mention that the scripted methods don't directly help you setup
multiple nodes (e.g. for my test cluster here at least I want a single
controller and then multiple compute nodes).

Any hints how to create compute nodes from here?

Cheers,
Andrew


On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane [at] xen> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane [at] xen>
> >
> > devstack works well with XCP:
> > https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/tree/master/tools/xen
> >
>
> Also we are building and storing the xenapi plugins on xen.org
> http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/
>


todd.deshane at xen

Feb 28, 2012, 12:33 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1469 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> Thanks Todd!
>
> I never saw this information before. Giving it a run right now.
>
> I see mention that the scripted methods don't directly help you setup
> multiple nodes (e.g. for my test cluster here at least I want a single
> controller and then multiple compute nodes).
>
> Any hints how to create compute nodes from here?
>

Is this what you are looking for:
https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/tools/xen/build_domU_multi.sh


--
Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://blog.xen.org/
http://wiki.xen.org/

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


eross at locatrix

Feb 29, 2012, 2:35 AM

Post #6 of 13 (1513 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

Thanks again Todd.

Took a bit of hacking around with the configuration, but I got it working
here -- I'll write it up for the wiki once I've got it completely working.

Worth noting for anyone reading this, according to http://devstack.org/ setting
up OpenStack on XCP/XenServer with DevStack is only encouraged for test /
development use, not for production.

After this I'm going to try some other methods for getting XCP up with
OpenStack.

Todd, if I have it right, however, it seems that the instructions here are
still in fact the best method to get started with creating a production
cluster, is that right?
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment

Also about the plug-ins you mentioned (
http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/).. where do
they fit into the picture?

Cheers,
Andrew


On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane [at] xen> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> > Thanks Todd!
> >
> > I never saw this information before. Giving it a run right now.
> >
> > I see mention that the scripted methods don't directly help you setup
> > multiple nodes (e.g. for my test cluster here at least I want a single
> > controller and then multiple compute nodes).
> >
> > Any hints how to create compute nodes from here?
> >
>
> Is this what you are looking for:
>
> https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/tools/xen/build_domU_multi.sh
>
>
> --
> Todd Deshane
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
> http://blog.xen.org/
> http://wiki.xen.org/
>


todd.deshane at xen

Feb 29, 2012, 7:27 AM

Post #7 of 13 (1465 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:

> Todd, if I have it right, however, it seems that the instructions here are
> still in fact the best method to get started with creating a production
> cluster, is that right?
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
>

No, this is for a development environment as well. For a production
environment your going to want look into things like Chef, Puppet,
Crowbar, etc.

here is the chef cookbook for Xen+OpenStack:
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-chef/tree/master/cookbooks/xenserver

> Also about the plug-ins you mentioned
> (http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/).. where do
> they fit into the picture?

Instead of having to pull the nova source and copy the xen-api plugins
by coping them into place (e.g.
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment#Install_Nova_plugins)
you can instead just install the RPM on dom0.

Thank you for your efforts and documentation. I also wanted to mention
that we also have xcp-toolstack branch for using xcp-api packages on
Debian/Ubuntu (see
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg07759.html)

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://blog.xen.org/
http://wiki.xen.org/

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


eross at locatrix

Feb 29, 2012, 7:41 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1466 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

Hi Todd,

Thanks! Yup, that Xen cookbook is actually where I'm about to start from...
with a combination of the knowledge from the other various pages.

Ah, got it about the plugins, good hint there.

One question though, do you know how to make sense of the 100 some-odd
identical looking RPMs in
http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/ ?

Could I ask though what you mean when you say that the instructions at
http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment are for development?

I mean, other than that the configuration details and network setup, etc,
would all need to be changed.. is there anything in particular that setup
is doing that would be otherwise undesirable?

Cheers,
Andrew




On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane [at] xen> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
>
> > Todd, if I have it right, however, it seems that the instructions here
> are
> > still in fact the best method to get started with creating a production
> > cluster, is that right?
> > http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment
> >
>
> No, this is for a development environment as well. For a production
> environment your going to want look into things like Chef, Puppet,
> Crowbar, etc.
>
> here is the chef cookbook for Xen+OpenStack:
> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-chef/tree/master/cookbooks/xenserver
>
> > Also about the plug-ins you mentioned
> > (http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/).. where
> do
> > they fit into the picture?
>
> Instead of having to pull the nova source and copy the xen-api plugins
> by coping them into place (e.g.
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment#Install_Nova_plugins)
> you can instead just install the RPM on dom0.
>
> Thank you for your efforts and documentation. I also wanted to mention
> that we also have xcp-toolstack branch for using xcp-api packages on
> Debian/Ubuntu (see
> https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg07759.html)
>
> Cheers,
> Todd
>
> --
> Todd Deshane
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
> http://blog.xen.org/
> http://wiki.xen.org/
>


todd.deshane at xen

Feb 29, 2012, 7:49 AM

Post #9 of 13 (1463 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> Hi Todd,
>
> Thanks! Yup, that Xen cookbook is actually where I'm about to start from...
> with a combination of the knowledge from the other various pages.
>
> Ah, got it about the plugins, good hint there.
>
> One question though, do you know how to make sense of the 100 some-odd
> identical looking RPMs
> in http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/ ?
>

This is currently running with a Jenkins script on each commit:

cd plugins/xenserver/xenapi/contrib
export VER=`git rev-parse HEAD`
perl -i -pe 's/^(Release:\s+)(.+)/$1$ENV{VER}/'
rpmbuild/SPECS/openstack-xen-plugins.spec
./build-rpm.sh
mkdir -p openstack-xen-plugins
cp rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/*.rpm openstack-xen-plugins
createrepo openstack-xen-plugins
scp -r openstack-xen-plugins
deshantm [at] www:/data/files/downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack

In production you'd want to run this script for a particular release
of your OpenStack deployment so that it is in sync.


> Could I ask though what you mean when you say that the instructions at
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment  are for development?
>

They are good for setting up a development environment, but for
deploying OpenStack you should really use configuration management
(Puppet, Chef, Crowbar, etc.)

> I mean, other than that the configuration details and network setup, etc,
> would all need to be changed.. is there anything in particular that setup is
> doing that would be otherwise undesirable?
>

Probably not, but you should encapsulate the best practices with the
e.g. chef scripts, etc.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://blog.xen.org/
http://wiki.xen.org/

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


eross at locatrix

Feb 29, 2012, 3:27 PM

Post #10 of 13 (1481 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

Hi Todd,

If I'm parsing that script below correctly --

For every time someone is making a git commit, it's grabbing the UUID for
each commit and generating an RPM for that version and uploading it.

Hmmm, dare I ask if there is something like a single place to grab a
reasonably stable release of plugins that is tied to a particular XCP or OS
version?

Yep, totally hear you -- my goal is to do a dual-node install (1 controller
+ multiple compute nodes) by creating a Chef recipe based on the existing
xenserver recipes in the openstack cookbook.

Cheers,
Andrew


On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane [at] xen> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> > Hi Todd,
> >
> > Thanks! Yup, that Xen cookbook is actually where I'm about to start
> from...
> > with a combination of the knowledge from the other various pages.
> >
> > Ah, got it about the plugins, good hint there.
> >
> > One question though, do you know how to make sense of the 100 some-odd
> > identical looking RPMs
> > in http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack/openstack-xen-plugins/ ?
> >
>
> This is currently running with a Jenkins script on each commit:
>
> cd plugins/xenserver/xenapi/contrib
> export VER=`git rev-parse HEAD`
> perl -i -pe 's/^(Release:\s+)(.+)/$1$ENV{VER}/'
> rpmbuild/SPECS/openstack-xen-plugins.spec
> ./build-rpm.sh
> mkdir -p openstack-xen-plugins
> cp rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/*.rpm openstack-xen-plugins
> createrepo openstack-xen-plugins
> scp -r openstack-xen-plugins
> deshantm [at] www:/data/files/downloads.xen.org/XCP/openstack
>
> In production you'd want to run this script for a particular release
> of your OpenStack deployment so that it is in sync.
>
>
> > Could I ask though what you mean when you say that the instructions at
> > http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServerDevelopment are for development?
> >
>
> They are good for setting up a development environment, but for
> deploying OpenStack you should really use configuration management
> (Puppet, Chef, Crowbar, etc.)
>
> > I mean, other than that the configuration details and network setup, etc,
> > would all need to be changed.. is there anything in particular that
> setup is
> > doing that would be otherwise undesirable?
> >
>
> Probably not, but you should encapsulate the best practices with the
> e.g. chef scripts, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Todd
>
> --
> Todd Deshane
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
> http://blog.xen.org/
> http://wiki.xen.org/
>


todd.deshane at xen

Feb 29, 2012, 7:53 PM

Post #11 of 13 (1456 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> Hi Todd,
>
> If I'm parsing that script below correctly --
>
> For every time someone is making a git commit, it's grabbing the UUID for
> each commit and generating an RPM for that version and uploading it.
>

Yeah. It could be better and more fine-tuned.

> Hmmm, dare I ask if there is something like a single place to grab a
> reasonably stable release of plugins that is tied to a particular XCP or OS
> version?

Not that I know of, but we could make a stable Jenkins job to do this, I think.

>
> Yep, totally hear you -- my goal is to do a dual-node install (1 controller
> + multiple compute nodes) by creating a Chef recipe based on the existing
> xenserver recipes in the openstack cookbook.

Cool.

There is a long thread on aligning chef efforts for OpenStack...
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg07319.html

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


todd.deshane at xen

Mar 5, 2012, 8:22 PM

Post #12 of 13 (1406 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Has anyone had much success with XCP and Open Stack together?
>

Here is some more general information that is now available on the
OpenStack wiki:

http://wiki.openstack.org/XenXCPAndXenServer

Thanks,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://blog.xen.org/
http://wiki.xen.org/

_______________________________________________
Xen-users mailing list
Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-users


eross at locatrix

Mar 7, 2012, 5:07 AM

Post #13 of 13 (1408 views)
Permalink
Re: XCP & Openstack [In reply to]

Thanks Todd!

Also guys, thought I'd share this...

I'm experimenting with Xen/XCP/OpenStack.. and step 1 has been to run
OpenStack on Ubuntu for testing (So this is off-topic for Xen, but very
relevant for anyone playing with OpenStack).

After lots of false starts, I came to the exact same conclusions as these
guys, but they did an excellent write-up.. best guide for a manual
OpenStack install on Ubuntu out there:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/OpenStack/page/Manual%20installation%20of%20OpenStack%20(Diablo%20release)%20cloud%20controller%2C%20compute%2C%20and%20volume%20with%20keystone%20authentication%20for%20Ubuntu%2011.10


Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew Eross
CTO
Locatrix Communications
Office: +61 7 3123 1469
Mobile: +55 11 8654 7834
eross [at] locatrix



On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane [at] xen> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Eross <eross [at] locatrix> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Has anyone had much success with XCP and Open Stack together?
> >
>
> Here is some more general information that is now available on the
> OpenStack wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenXCPAndXenServer
>
> Thanks,
> Todd
>
> --
> Todd Deshane
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
> http://blog.xen.org/
> http://wiki.xen.org/
>

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.