Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

compiling kernel in Centos Domu

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

itobin at tidyhosts

Oct 5, 2011, 11:57 AM

compiling kernel in Centos Domu

Hi,

Im trying to compile kernel 3.0.4 inside Centos 5 DomU

The steps I do are

Make bzImage

Make modules

Make modules_install

Depmod -a

mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4

but them im getting this

-bash-3.2# mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4

ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory

No module ehci-hcd found for kernel 3.0.4, aborting.

If I exclude the modules its goes on forever. I don't have this issue
in Debian Domu so what am I missing?

Thanks

Ian

giamteckchoon at gmail

Oct 5, 2011, 12:09 PM

Re: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Ian Tobin <itobin [at] tidyhosts> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Im trying to compile kernel 3.0.4 inside Centos 5 DomU
>

> The steps I do are
>

> Make bzImage
>
> Make modules
>
> Make modules_install
>
> Depmod –a
>
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
>

> but them im getting this
>

> -bash-3.2# mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
>
> ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
>
> No module ehci-hcd found for kernel 3.0.4, aborting.
>

> If I exclude the modules its goes on forever.  I don’t have this issue in
> Debian Domu so what am I missing?

Certain modules are built-in depending on your kernel config. You
might want to try the below and see whether does your domU boot with
that kernel:

mkinitrd -v -f --builtin=ehci-hcd --builtin=uhci-hcd
--builtin=ohci-hcd --builtin=usb-storage /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

itobin at tidyhosts

Oct 5, 2011, 12:13 PM

RE: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

Hi,

This is what I get now

-bash-3.2# mkinitrd -v -f --builtin=ehci-hcd --builtin=uhci-hcd --builtin=ohci-hcd --builtin=usb-storage /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
Creating initramfs
ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
Modulefile is
module ehci-hcd assumed to be built in
module ohci-hcd assumed to be built in
module uhci-hcd assumed to be built in
Looking for deps of module ext3
Looking for driver for device hda1
Looking for driver for device hda2

Its just hanging

Thanks

Ian

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Ian Tobin <itobin [at] tidyhosts> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Im trying to compile kernel 3.0.4 inside Centos 5 DomU
>

> The steps I do are
>

> Make bzImage
>
> Make modules
>
> Make modules_install
>
> Depmod -a
>
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
>

> but them im getting this
>

> -bash-3.2# mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
>
> ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
>
> No module ehci-hcd found for kernel 3.0.4, aborting.
>

> If I exclude the modules its goes on forever.  I don't have this issue
> in Debian Domu so what am I missing?

Certain modules are built-in depending on your kernel config. You might want to try the below and see whether does your domU boot with that kernel:

mkinitrd -v -f --builtin=ehci-hcd --builtin=uhci-hcd --builtin=ohci-hcd --builtin=usb-storage /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

giamteckchoon at gmail

Oct 5, 2011, 12:17 PM

Re: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Ian Tobin <itobin [at] tidyhosts> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is what I get now
>
> -bash-3.2# mkinitrd -v -f --builtin=ehci-hcd --builtin=uhci-hcd --builtin=ohci-hcd --builtin=usb-storage /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
> Creating initramfs
> ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
> Modulefile is
> module ehci-hcd assumed to be built in
> module ohci-hcd assumed to be built in
> module uhci-hcd assumed to be built in
> Looking for deps of module ext3
> Looking for driver for device hda1
> Looking for driver for device hda2
>

> Its just hanging

Can you post your steps about compile kernel? Did you do make
modules_install? How your kernel config look like?

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

itobin at tidyhosts

Oct 5, 2011, 12:23 PM

RE: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

The kernel config is standard except for enabling highmem 64Gb so I can
enable paravirtualisation, select all xen options. Then in drivers set
all XEN related options as static in kernel. I didn't touch anything
else.

This same setup works fine on Debian DomU and I don't get this problem
about modules missing when creating the initrd, only seems to happen on
CentOS

Thanks

Ian

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Ian Tobin <itobin [at] tidyhosts> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is what I get now
>
> -bash-3.2# mkinitrd -v -f --builtin=ehci-hcd --builtin=uhci-hcd
> --builtin=ohci-hcd --builtin=usb-storage /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
> Creating initramfs
> ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory Modulefile is
> module ehci-hcd assumed to be built in module ohci-hcd assumed to be
> built in module uhci-hcd assumed to be built in Looking for deps of
> module ext3 Looking for driver for device hda1 Looking for driver for
> device hda2
>

> Its just hanging

Can you post your steps about compile kernel? Did you do make
modules_install? How your kernel config look like?

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

giamteckchoon at gmail

Oct 5, 2011, 1:15 PM

Re: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Ian Tobin <itobin [at] tidyhosts> wrote:
> The kernel config is standard except for enabling  highmem 64Gb so I can
> enable paravirtualisation, select all xen options.  Then in drivers set
> all XEN related options as static in kernel.  I didn't touch anything
> else.
>
> This same setup works fine on Debian DomU and I don't get this problem
> about modules missing when creating the initrd, only seems to happen on
> CentOS

Is your standard kernel config. modified from Debian? If so, I will
suggest that you use CentOS 5 kernel-xen config as base and modified
from there to see whether are you able to reproduce the problem?

One important thing is due to udev version in CentOS 5, I think you
will need to set/enable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2.

BTW, just curious what is your /etc/fstab looks like as the following
make me curious... ...

Looking for driver for device hda1
Looking for driver for device hda2

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

itobin at tidyhosts

Oct 5, 2011, 1:22 PM

RE: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

No, the kernel is from a kernel.org, its not from another installation so it is fresh.

Where is the CentOS 5 kernel-xen ?

Here is the /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/usr/tmpDSK /tmp ext3 defaults,noauto 0 0

Thanks!

Ian

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Ian Tobin <itobin [at] tidyhosts> wrote:
> The kernel config is standard except for enabling  highmem 64Gb so I
> can enable paravirtualisation, select all xen options.  Then in
> drivers set all XEN related options as static in kernel.  I didn't
> touch anything else.
>
> This same setup works fine on Debian DomU and I don't get this problem
> about modules missing when creating the initrd, only seems to happen
> on CentOS

Is your standard kernel config. modified from Debian? If so, I will suggest that you use CentOS 5 kernel-xen config as base and modified from there to see whether are you able to reproduce the problem?

One important thing is due to udev version in CentOS 5, I think you will need to set/enable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2.

BTW, just curious what is your /etc/fstab looks like as the following make me curious... ...

Looking for driver for device hda1
Looking for driver for device hda2

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

itobin at tidyhosts

Oct 5, 2011, 1:23 PM

RE: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

Sorry this is the correct fstab

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Ian Tobin <itobin [at] tidyhosts> wrote:
> The kernel config is standard except for enabling  highmem 64Gb so I
> can enable paravirtualisation, select all xen options.  Then in
> drivers set all XEN related options as static in kernel.  I didn't
> touch anything else.
>
> This same setup works fine on Debian DomU and I don't get this problem
> about modules missing when creating the initrd, only seems to happen
> on CentOS

Is your standard kernel config. modified from Debian? If so, I will suggest that you use CentOS 5 kernel-xen config as base and modified from there to see whether are you able to reproduce the problem?

One important thing is due to udev version in CentOS 5, I think you will need to set/enable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2.

BTW, just curious what is your /etc/fstab looks like as the following make me curious... ...

Looking for driver for device hda1
Looking for driver for device hda2

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

tait at taiter

Oct 5, 2011, 1:26 PM

Re: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

> but them im getting this
>

> -bash-3.2# mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
>
> ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
>
> No module ehci-hcd found for kernel 3.0.4, aborting.

I'm assuming that 3.0.4 sees /etc/modprobe.conf as depricated whereas
CentOS 5 still has the file.

Try taking modprobe.conf and putting it as /etc/modprobe.d/funstuff.conf
and running the mkinitrd again maybe adding (as well as the other
options) --with=xenblk --with=xennet (not sure if those are needed for
3.0).

I think this might be because your modprobe isn't telling it what driver
is required for storage since it can't find it.

Tait

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

itobin at tidyhosts

Oct 5, 2011, 1:32 PM

RE: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

Hi,

That file doesn't exist, its strange why im not having any issues on Debain but CentOS is being a pain :(

Thanks

Ian

> -bash-3.2# mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-3.0.4 3.0.4
>
> ls: /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
>
> No module ehci-hcd found for kernel 3.0.4, aborting.

I'm assuming that 3.0.4 sees /etc/modprobe.conf as depricated whereas CentOS 5 still has the file.

Try taking modprobe.conf and putting it as /etc/modprobe.d/funstuff.conf and running the mkinitrd again maybe adding (as well as the other
options) --with=xenblk --with=xennet (not sure if those are needed for 3.0).

I think this might be because your modprobe isn't telling it what driver is required for storage since it can't find it.

Tait

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

tait at taiter

Oct 5, 2011, 2:03 PM

RE: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 21:32 +0100, Ian Tobin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That file doesn't exist, its strange why im not having any issues on Debain but CentOS is being a pain :(
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

Hmm. There are no files in /etc/modprobe.d/ and no file
named /etc/modprobe.conf?

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

itobin at tidyhosts

Oct 5, 2011, 2:11 PM

RE: compiling kernel in Centos Domu [In reply to]

Only 2

-bash-3.2# ls /etc/modprobe.d
blacklist-compat modprobe.conf.dist