Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

Xen 4.1 from source with Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 dom0 (test)

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tlviewer at yahoo

Xen 4.1 from source with Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 dom0 (test)

List,

This combo works:
Xen 4.1 from source with Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 dom0

So we use the dom0 kernel from the Aptitude repo, but build xen 4.1 from source.

Sanity check:
dpkg -l | grep xen (should be empty except for linux-image*)
Only the dom0 kernel is installed!

if not blank purge them, dpkg -P libxentore3.0 (for example)

setup build env in Squeeze

apt-get build-dep xen -> http://paste.ubuntu.com/589041/

apt-get install libx11-dev libssl-dev python2.6-dev

download the 4.1 source tarball and do the usual

make xen
make tools
make stubdom

make install-xen
make install-tools PYTHON_PREFIX_ARG=
make install-stubdom

update-rc.d xencommons defaults
update-rc.d xend defaults
update-rc.d xendomains defaults

echo xen-evtchn >> /etc/modules

--------
Then success:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/589086/

--
Mark
ChmEarl on ##xen freenode.net

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

ward at gnu

Re: Xen 4.1 from source with Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 dom0 (test) [In reply to]

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your message. Just for completeness, there is another way to
install Xen 4.1 on Squeeze.

Sid has Xen 4.1 packages which build nicely on Squeeze. So, you can do this,
on a Squeeze box:

add a deb-src line to your sources.list (use your favorite mirror):

deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian/ sid main

apt-get update
apt-get build-dep xen
apt-get build-dep xen-utils-common

cd /usr/src/

apt-get source xen -b
apt-get source xen-utils-common -b

dpkg -i *xen*deb

You may then also want to uninstall

xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64
xen-utils-4.0

though they seem to do just fine installed in parallel with the 4.1 packages.

I haven't stress tested a setup like this yet, but everything does install
cleanly and the new xl commands seem to work just fine.

Thanks,
Ward.