Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

XCP 1.0 beta : install problem - unable to retrieve stage2.img over the network using http

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jlinoff at tabula

Dec 3, 2010, 2:37 PM

XCP 1.0 beta : install problem - unable to retrieve stage2.img over the network using http

Hi Folks:

I am a NOOB and need some help and/or advice about debugging a domU VM
boot problem in XCP 1.0 beta.

I am trying to get my first VM installed over the network using XCP 1.0
beta. I am able to get to the VNC boot window but the installation
process fails after a few minutes with this error:

Unable to retrieve
http://10.45.2.1//tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img
<http://10.45.2.1/tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img> .

But when I try this on the dom0 host it works:

# cd /tmp
# wget http://10.45.2.1//tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img
<http://10.45.2.1/tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img>

My guess is the problem is related to how the VM sees the network but I
have no idea how to debug it.

Cheers,

Joe
Attachments: image001.png (16.5 KB)

george.shuklin at gmail

Dec 4, 2010, 9:38 AM

Re: XCP 1.0 beta : install problem - unable to retrieve stage2.img over the network using http [In reply to]

Did you create correct VIF for this VM? You shall do something like
xe network-list bridge=xenbrX (where X- you 'internet' interface) and
xe vif-create vm-uuid=, network-uuid=...

Without this you will lack of network support for your VM.

В Птн, 03/12/2010 в 14:37 -0800, Joe Linoff пишет:
> Hi Folks:
>

> I am a NOOB and need some help and/or advice about debugging a domU VM
> boot problem in XCP 1.0 beta.
>

> I am trying to get my first VM installed over the network using XCP
> 1.0 beta. I am able to get to the VNC boot window but the installation
> process fails after a few minutes with this error:
>

> Unable to retrieve
> http://10.45.2.1//tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img.
>

> But when I try this on the dom0 host it works:
>

> # cd /tmp
> # wget http://10.45.2.1//tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img
>

> My guess is the problem is related to how the VM sees the network but
> I have no idea how to debug it.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Joe

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

jlinoff at tabula

Dec 4, 2010, 10:05 AM

RE: XCP 1.0 beta : install problem - unable toretrieve stage2.img over the network using http [In reply to]

Hi George:

Thank you for responding.

This is what I did to create the vif (from my notes):

3. Figure out which network resource to use for the vif:
% xe network-list -s 10.45.2.100 -pw test
% xe network-list bridge=xenbr0 --minimal -s 10.45.2.100 -pw test
8d77c968-f362-befa-fc57-92d63d656e1d
% xe vif-create \
network-uuid=8d77c968-f362-befa-fc57-92d63d656e1d \
vm-uuid=0409c60f-d209-1105-e884-9a25dd238430 \
device=0 \
-s 10.45.2.100 -pw test

How can check whether I did it incorrectly?

Cheers,

Joe

Did you create correct VIF for this VM? You shall do something like
xe network-list bridge=xenbrX (where X- you 'internet' interface) and
xe vif-create vm-uuid=, network-uuid=...

Without this you will lack of network support for your VM.

В Птн, 03/12/2010 в 14:37 -0800, Joe Linoff пишет:
> Hi Folks:
>

> I am a NOOB and need some help and/or advice about debugging a domU VM
> boot problem in XCP 1.0 beta.
>

> I am trying to get my first VM installed over the network using XCP
> 1.0 beta. I am able to get to the VNC boot window but the installation
> process fails after a few minutes with this error:
>

> Unable to retrieve
> http://10.45.2.1//tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img.
>

> But when I try this on the dom0 host it works:
>

> # cd /tmp
> # wget http://10.45.2.1//tcc/os/CentOS-5.5-x86_64/images/stage2.img
>

> My guess is the problem is related to how the VM sees the network but
> I have no idea how to debug it.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Joe

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

george.shuklin at gmail

Dec 5, 2010, 11:30 PM

RE: XCP 1.0 beta : install problem - unable toretrieve stage2.img over the network using http [In reply to]

That seems be fine.

Next you shall check if XCP host have it's own internet access. It
downloading from mirror some files to start PV guest (i'm talking about
PV, HVM shall use iso image to boot).

If this is fine, check install-repository variable in other-config for
virtual machine.