Mailing List Archive: Xen: Users

pfsense HVM network performance

Xen users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jonnyt at abpni

Jun 8, 2010, 1:30 PM

pfsense HVM network performance

Hi Everyone,

Just to let everyone know of my experience of network speed on pfsense HVM.

Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my WAN NIC, and
used e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping at 90Mbp/s.

When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s

When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default (rl8xxx), speed was
capping at 71Mbp/s.

I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however my link speed
is only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the cable out and in 2 or 3 times.

Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above speed, I had to
enable "device polling" in pfsense

Thanks

Xen-users [at] lists
http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

dmarquess at gmail

Jun 8, 2010, 3:45 PM

Re: pfsense HVM network performance [In reply to]

Did you try recompiling the pfsense FreeBSD kernel using the XENHVM kernel
config? That way you'll get get PV drivers for network & disk I/O, which
should help a lot.

-Dustin

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt [at] abpni>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just to let everyone know of my experience of network speed on pfsense HVM.
>
> Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my WAN NIC, and used
> e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping at 90Mbp/s.
>
> When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s
>
> When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default (rl8xxx), speed was
> capping at 71Mbp/s.
>
> I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however my link speed is
> only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the cable out and in 2 or 3 times.
>
> Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above speed, I had to
> enable "device polling" in pfsense
>
> Thanks

> Xen-users [at] lists
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

jonnyt at abpni

Jun 8, 2010, 4:03 PM

Re: pfsense HVM network performance [In reply to]

This I did not do..

Is there a guide somewhere online?

Thanks

On 08/06/10 23:45, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> Did you try recompiling the pfsense FreeBSD kernel using the XENHVM
> kernel config? That way you'll get get PV drivers for network & disk
> I/O, which should help a lot.
>
> -Dustin
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt [at] abpni
> <mailto:jonnyt [at] abpni>> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just to let everyone know of my experience of network speed on
> pfsense HVM.
>
> Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my WAN NIC,
> and used e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping at 90Mbp/s.
>
> When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s
>
> When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default (rl8xxx),
> speed was capping at 71Mbp/s.
>
> I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however my link
> speed is only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the cable out and
> in 2 or 3 times.
>
> Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above speed, I
> had to enable "device polling" in pfsense
>
> Thanks

> Xen-users [at] lists <mailto:Xen-users [at] lists>
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

zary at cvtisr

Jun 8, 2010, 4:39 PM

Re: Re: pfsense HVM network performance [In reply to]

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 17:45 -0500, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> Did you try recompiling the pfsense FreeBSD kernel using the XENHVM
> kernel config? That way you'll get get PV drivers for network & disk
> I/O, which should help a lot.
>

> -Dustin
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt [at] abpni>
> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just to let everyone know of my experience of network speed on
> pfsense HVM.
>
> Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my WAN
> NIC, and used e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping at
> 90Mbp/s.
>
> When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s
>
> When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default (rl8xxx),
> speed was capping at 71Mbp/s.
>
> I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however my
> link speed is only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the cable
> out and in 2 or 3 times.
>
> Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above speed,
> I had to enable "device polling" in pfsense
>
> Thanks

> Xen-users [at] lists
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

Should be worth the effort - in my case, I got better throughput with
bridged virtual PV NIC than with PCI passed-thru physical NIC (668
mbit/s against 534 mbit/s!). Shoddy HW (Realtek PCI NICs etc, no IOMMU
on mobo), but the point - PV makes HUGE difference (compared with pure
HVM) so it's worth the hassle. :)

jonnyt at abpni

Jun 8, 2010, 4:45 PM

Re: pfsense HVM network performance [In reply to]

On 09/06/10 00:39, Matej Zary wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 17:45 -0500, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> > Did you try recompiling the pfsense FreeBSD kernel using the XENHVM
> > kernel config? That way you'll get get PV drivers for network & disk
> > I/O, which should help a lot.
> >

> > -Dustin
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt [at] abpni>
> > wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Just to let everyone know of my experience of network speed on
> > pfsense HVM.
> >
> > Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my WAN
> > NIC, and used e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping at
> > 90Mbp/s.
> >
> > When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s
> >
> > When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default (rl8xxx),
> > speed was capping at 71Mbp/s.
> >
> > I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however my
> > link speed is only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the cable
> > out and in 2 or 3 times.
> >
> > Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above speed,
> > I had to enable "device polling" in pfsense
> >
> > Thanks

> > Xen-users [at] lists
> > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
> >

> Should be worth the effort - in my case, I got better throughput with
> bridged virtual PV NIC than with PCI passed-thru physical NIC (668
> mbit/s against 534 mbit/s!). Shoddy HW (Realtek PCI NICs etc, no IOMMU
> on mobo), but the point - PV makes HUGE difference (compared with pure
> HVM) so it's worth the hassle. :)

Not bad

But where do I find a howto on how to do this?

Thanks

zary at cvtisr

Jun 8, 2010, 5:04 PM

Re: Re: pfsense HVM network performance [In reply to]

On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 00:45 +0100, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

> On 09/06/10 00:39, Matej Zary wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 17:45 -0500, Dustin Marquess wrote:
> > > Did you try recompiling the pfsense FreeBSD kernel using the
> > XENHVM
> > > kernel config? That way you'll get get PV drivers for network &
> > disk
> > > I/O, which should help a lot.
> > >

> > > -Dustin
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Tripathy
> > <jonnyt [at] abpni>
> > > wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > Just to let everyone know of my experience of network
> > speed on
> > > pfsense HVM.
> > >
> > > Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my
> > WAN
> > > NIC, and used e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping
> > at
> > > 90Mbp/s.
> > >
> > > When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s
> > >
> > > When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default
> > (rl8xxx),
> > > speed was capping at 71Mbp/s.
> > >
> > > I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however
> > my
> > > link speed is only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the
> > cable
> > > out and in 2 or 3 times.
> > >
> > > Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above
> > speed,
> > > I had to enable "device polling" in pfsense
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > > Xen-users [at] lists
> > > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
> > >

> > Should be worth the effort - in my case, I got better throughput
> > with
> > bridged virtual PV NIC than with PCI passed-thru physical NIC (668
> > mbit/s against 534 mbit/s!). Shoddy HW (Realtek PCI NICs etc, no
> > IOMMU
> > on mobo), but the point - PV makes HUGE difference (compared with
> > pure
> > HVM) so it's worth the hassle. :)
> >

> Not bad
>
> But where do I find a howto on how to do this?
>
> Thanks

Well, can't say I know FreeBSD or pfSense (does it use the same "core"
system as FreeBSD?), but this might help a little (or might not at
all :D) - http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=10268.

Regards

Matej

jonnyt at abpni

Jun 8, 2010, 6:47 PM

Re: pfsense HVM network performance [In reply to]

On 08/06/10 21:30, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Just to let everyone know of my experience of network speed on pfsense
> HVM.
>
> Initially, I started off by doing PCI passthrough for my WAN NIC, and
> used e1000 emulation for LAN. Speed was capping at 90Mbp/s.
>
> When both were set to e1000, speed was capping at 30Mbp/s
>
> When LAN was set to e1000 and WAN was set to default (rl8xxx), speed
> was capping at 71Mbp/s.
>
> I wish I could have stayed with the first option, however my link
> speed is only detected at 10Mbps unless I take the cable out and in 2
> or 3 times.
>
> Any tips on the above? In some cases, to get the above speed, I had to
> enable "device polling" in pfsense
>
> Thanks

> Xen-users [at] lists
> http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
Just an update on the above...

I updated to the latest 2.0-BETA2 version of pfsense and that has seemed
to have solved my link rate issue. Using e1000 for the LAN interface,
and PCI passthrough for the WAN, the system caps out at around 110Mbp/s,
which is good (and acceptable for me, as my colo's internet connection
will be 100Mbp/s).

One thing I did note however, was that it only worked this well when
there was only 1 vcpu in the guest....

Can anybody explain this behaviour?