Mailing List Archive: Xen: Research
Re: [Xen-users] Xen live migration: from where is the ARP sent?

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

todd.deshane at xen

Mar 12, 2011, 7:37 AM

Re: [Xen-users] Xen live migration: from where is the ARP sent?

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Virajith Jalaparti
<virajith.j [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was hoping someone could help me out with a question I had about the live
> migration of Xen.
> I am trying to perform live migration of a VM using Xen 3.4.3. When
> paravirtualization is used, a gratuitous arp is sent out after the VM is
> restored at the new location (I did not find such an arp being sent when the
> VM is fully virtualized). Is this arp sent out by xen (the hypervisor) or
> the modified operating system? If the arp is sent by xen, which part of the
> xen code (which file?) actually sends out this arp? If the arp is not sent
> by xen, is it possible to send an arp from xen rather than the OS? I think
> we would require to know the IP address and the MAC address of the VM for
> this purpose.

Maybe a search through the code would be helpful:
http://lxr.xensource.com/lxr/search?string=arp

Thanks,
Todd

--