Mailing List Archive: Xen: Research

bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore system

Xen research RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mehdi.alishahi at gmail

Feb 17, 2010, 1:10 AM

bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore system

If we consider the future of computer systems with many cores, the
problem of bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore
system becomes critical from the performance and speed point of view.
I'd like to know whether is there any research on this topic?

Regards,
Mehdi

stephen.spector at citrix

Feb 17, 2010, 8:35 AM

RE: bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore system [In reply to]

Mehdi:

I believe that the University of Toronto Project Snowflock dealt with this issue. The link is here http://compbio.cs.toronto.edu/snowflock/

Thanks.

Stephen Spector

Xen.org Community Manager
T: (772) 621-5062 | F: (772) 365-0338 | M: (954) 854-4257
stephen.spector [at] xen
http://blog.xen.org | @xen_com_mgr

If we consider the future of computer systems with many cores, the
problem of bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore
system becomes critical from the performance and speed point of view.
I'd like to know whether is there any research on this topic?

Regards,
Mehdi

deshantm at gmail

Feb 17, 2010, 11:28 AM

Re: bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore system [In reply to]

Hi Mehdi,

There was some research out of Intel on vConsolidate that you should
take a look at:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=vconsolidate&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

I know that Intel and others (such as AMD) are quite interested in the
possibilities of taking advantage of caching effects (sharing across
cores, etc.) of VMs and many core systems.

Hope that helps.

Todd

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Mehdi Sheikhalishahi
<mehdi.alishahi [at] gmail> wrote:
> If we consider the future of computer systems with many cores, the
> problem of bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore
> system becomes critical from the performance and speed point of view.
> I'd like to know whether is there any research on this topic?
>
> Regards,
> Mehdi

Todd Deshane
http://todddeshane.net
http://runningxen.com

wesley.emeneker at gmail

Feb 18, 2010, 10:39 AM

Re: bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore system [In reply to]

I've been researching (and measuring) this on x86_64 for about a year now.
I've been focusing on how cache structures affect the performance of a
range of scientific applications with various levels of VCPU-pinning.

Some of the questions are:
1. How much do the applications like/hate sharing a last level cache
(usually L2 or L3 depending on what the micro-architecture is)?
2. Do TLBs have much of an effect?
3. Depending on the answer to question 1, how well can applications
share a cache? i.e. if we have a CPU-intensive, small-memory application
how well does it share with a memory-hungry app?

What I've found is that a good many scientific applications actually
like sharing a cache.
If they don't share one, performance often suffers.

Wesley Emeneker

> If we consider the future of computer systems with many cores, the
> problem of bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore
> system becomes critical from the performance and speed point of view.
> I'd like to know whether is there any research on this topic?
>
> Regards,
> Mehdi

***
This email has been stamped using Penny Post. Stamping email helps
combat spam.
Find out more about stamping your email at: http://pennypost.sourceforge.net

mehdi.alishahi at gmail

Feb 19, 2010, 4:49 AM

Re: Re: bringing multiple VMs at the same time on a multicore system [In reply to]

What about this use-case?

We have a supercomputer with 200,000 cores. And it is devoted to
Infrastructure-as-a-Service cloud computing model. So this means it
must be able to bring up different Virtual Machines lets say 100
different Virtual Machine (depends on the workload) at the same time.
We assume that supercomputer has Parallel File System to read Virtual
Machine files concurrently by high speed.
What sort of developments need to be done in Xen to manage this situation?

Regards,
Mehdi