Mailing List Archive: Xen: Research

When to emulate_memop() and when to do_update_va_mapping()

Xen research RSS feed   Index | Previous | View Threaded

tom-xen at hotmail

Jul 3, 2008, 1:12 AM

When to emulate_memop() and when to do_update_va_mapping()

Hello, everyone:

I know that x86_emulate_memop() is used to emulate writing to page
table pages as Xen intentionally write protect page table pages.

Also, the hypercall Hypervisor_update_va_mapping() ->
mod_l2/l1_entry() is also used to modify page table pages.

So I get confused about their difference. My questions are:

(1) When are the above two routines of modifying page table pages
invoked respectively?

(2) What's the difference in functionality among the two?

Best Wishes

Tom

Xen research RSS feed   Index | Previous | View Threaded