Mailing List Archive: Xen: Devel

HYPERVISOR_console_write gone?

Xen devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jacob at melon

Mar 9, 2004, 8:54 AM

HYPERVISOR_console_write gone?

hi,

in the unstable tree, HYPERVISOR_console_write appears to have
disappeared. Is there an easy/recommended way of achieving the same
(debug output without incurring pagefaults) in the new version?

thanks,
Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 9, 2004, 8:54 AM

HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

hi,

in the unstable tree, HYPERVISOR_console_write appears to have
disappeared. Is there an easy/recommended way of achieving the same
(debug output without incurring pagefaults) in the new version?

thanks,
Jacob

Keir.Fraser at cl

Mar 9, 2004, 1:39 PM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> hi,
>
> in the unstable tree, HYPERVISOR_console_write appears to have
> disappeared. Is there an easy/recommended way of achieving the same
> (debug output without incurring pagefaults) in the new version?
>
> thanks,
> Jacob

Guest OSes should send their console output via domain 0
now. HYPERVISOR_console_write is still available in debug builds -- if
you want this capability without a full debug build of Xen then you
will need to manually edit common/console.c.

-- Keir

Keir.Fraser at cl

Mar 9, 2004, 1:39 PM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> hi,
>
> in the unstable tree, HYPERVISOR_console_write appears to have
> disappeared. Is there an easy/recommended way of achieving the same
> (debug output without incurring pagefaults) in the new version?
>
> thanks,
> Jacob

Guest OSes should send their console output via domain 0
now. HYPERVISOR_console_write is still available in debug builds -- if
you want this capability without a full debug build of Xen then you
will need to manually edit common/console.c.

-- Keir

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 5:20 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 21:39, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Guest OSes should send their console output via domain 0
> now. HYPERVISOR_console_write is still available in debug builds -- if
> you want this capability without a full debug build of Xen then you
> will need to manually edit common/console.c.

How do I configure my guest OS to send printks to dom0? I used to have
the #if 1 thing set in kernel/printk.c, but that is gone now. My
unprivileged domains have gone awfully quiet now.

Btw, there is no common/console.c in neither Xen nor Xenolinux. I would
really like to have HYPERVISOR_console_write back, so I have re-added
the definition to asm/hypervisor.h. What do I have to change in Xen (I
don't think I want a full debug build) to make it work?

Lastly, I used to be able to interact with Xen via the serial line, but
it seems to no longer listen to my keypresses. How do I reenable that?

thanks in advance,
Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 5:20 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 21:39, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Guest OSes should send their console output via domain 0
> now. HYPERVISOR_console_write is still available in debug builds -- if
> you want this capability without a full debug build of Xen then you
> will need to manually edit common/console.c.

How do I configure my guest OS to send printks to dom0? I used to have
the #if 1 thing set in kernel/printk.c, but that is gone now. My
unprivileged domains have gone awfully quiet now.

Btw, there is no common/console.c in neither Xen nor Xenolinux. I would
really like to have HYPERVISOR_console_write back, so I have re-added
the definition to asm/hypervisor.h. What do I have to change in Xen (I
don't think I want a full debug build) to make it work?

Lastly, I used to be able to interact with Xen via the serial line, but
it seems to no longer listen to my keypresses. How do I reenable that?

thanks in advance,
Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 5:27 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

> Lastly, I used to be able to interact with Xen via the serial line, but
> it seems to no longer listen to my keypresses. How do I reenable that?

Just to answer this myself I just noticed that ctrl+a switches, I guess
there must be some way to reverse the default setting.

Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 5:27 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

> Lastly, I used to be able to interact with Xen via the serial line, but
> it seems to no longer listen to my keypresses. How do I reenable that?

Just to answer this myself I just noticed that ctrl+a switches, I guess
there must be some way to reverse the default setting.

Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 5:38 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

> Btw, there is no common/console.c in neither Xen nor Xenolinux. I would
> really like to have HYPERVISOR_console_write back, so I have re-added
> the definition to asm/hypervisor.h. What do I have to change in Xen (I
> don't think I want a full debug build) to make it work?

Never mind, fixed drivers/char/console.c to suit my needs. I am still
curious about how to get guest console output send to dom0 though.

thanks,
Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 5:38 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

> Btw, there is no common/console.c in neither Xen nor Xenolinux. I would
> really like to have HYPERVISOR_console_write back, so I have re-added
> the definition to asm/hypervisor.h. What do I have to change in Xen (I
> don't think I want a full debug build) to make it work?

Never mind, fixed drivers/char/console.c to suit my needs. I am still
curious about how to get guest console output send to dom0 though.

thanks,
Jacob

Ian.Pratt at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 5:44 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
>
> > Btw, there is no common/console.c in neither Xen nor Xenolinux. I would
> > really like to have HYPERVISOR_console_write back, so I have re-added
> > the definition to asm/hypervisor.h. What do I have to change in Xen (I
> > don't think I want a full debug build) to make it work?
>
> Never mind, fixed drivers/char/console.c to suit my needs. I am still
> curious about how to get guest console output send to dom0 though.

Run the new 'xend' in domain 0, and when you start a domain with
xc_dom_create it will print out which TCP port the domain's
console will be available on (e.g. "telnet localhost 9600").

The interface is just about to undergo some further changes, but
this should work for now. console is now bidirectional, so you
should be able to login if you run a getty on 'console' e.g. in
/etc/inittab

C:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty console

Ian

Ian.Pratt at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 5:44 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
>
> > Btw, there is no common/console.c in neither Xen nor Xenolinux. I would
> > really like to have HYPERVISOR_console_write back, so I have re-added
> > the definition to asm/hypervisor.h. What do I have to change in Xen (I
> > don't think I want a full debug build) to make it work?
>
> Never mind, fixed drivers/char/console.c to suit my needs. I am still
> curious about how to get guest console output send to dom0 though.

Run the new 'xend' in domain 0, and when you start a domain with
xc_dom_create it will print out which TCP port the domain's
console will be available on (e.g. "telnet localhost 9600").

The interface is just about to undergo some further changes, but
this should work for now. console is now bidirectional, so you
should be able to login if you run a getty on 'console' e.g. in
/etc/inittab

C:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty console

Ian

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 6:20 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:44, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

> The interface is just about to undergo some further changes, but
> this should work for now. console is now bidirectional, so you
> should be able to login if you run a getty on 'console' e.g. in
> /etc/inittab
>
> C:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty console

Right now it seems my domain is locking up when kernel/printk.c calls
console->setup(). Do I need any special console=... arguments in the
boot parameter string?

Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 6:20 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:44, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

> The interface is just about to undergo some further changes, but
> this should work for now. console is now bidirectional, so you
> should be able to login if you run a getty on 'console' e.g. in
> /etc/inittab
>
> C:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty console

Right now it seems my domain is locking up when kernel/printk.c calls
console->setup(). Do I need any special console=... arguments in the
boot parameter string?

Jacob

Ian.Pratt at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 6:32 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:44, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
>
> > The interface is just about to undergo some further changes, but
> > this should work for now. console is now bidirectional, so you
> > should be able to login if you run a getty on 'console' e.g. in
> > /etc/inittab
> >
> > C:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty console
>
> Right now it seems my domain is locking up when kernel/printk.c calls
> console->setup(). Do I need any special console=... arguments in the
> boot parameter string?

Are you running 'xend'? The current console implementation is
blocking, and hence you could stall after filling up the buffer
if you haven't run the daemon to read it out.

It's expected that 'xend' will be run in every domain0, and will
be taking on other functionality in the future too (such as
potentially reaping dead domains).

Ian

Ian.Pratt at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 6:32 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:44, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:20, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
>
> > The interface is just about to undergo some further changes, but
> > this should work for now. console is now bidirectional, so you
> > should be able to login if you run a getty on 'console' e.g. in
> > /etc/inittab
> >
> > C:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty console
>
> Right now it seems my domain is locking up when kernel/printk.c calls
> console->setup(). Do I need any special console=... arguments in the
> boot parameter string?

Are you running 'xend'? The current console implementation is
blocking, and hence you could stall after filling up the buffer
if you haven't run the daemon to read it out.

It's expected that 'xend' will be run in every domain0, and will
be taking on other functionality in the future too (such as
potentially reaping dead domains).

Ian

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 6:48 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:32, Ian Pratt wrote:

> Are you running 'xend'? The current console implementation is
> blocking, and hence you could stall after filling up the buffer
> if you haven't run the daemon to read it out.

Yes, xend is running. For now, I've hacked printk to call good old
HYPERVISOR_console_write, and skipped the call to register_console().

Jacob

jacob at melon

Mar 10, 2004, 6:48 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:32, Ian Pratt wrote:

> Are you running 'xend'? The current console implementation is
> blocking, and hence you could stall after filling up the buffer
> if you haven't run the daemon to read it out.

Yes, xend is running. For now, I've hacked printk to call good old
HYPERVISOR_console_write, and skipped the call to register_console().

Jacob

Keir.Fraser at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 7:33 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:32, Ian Pratt wrote:
>
> > Are you running 'xend'? The current console implementation is
> > blocking, and hence you could stall after filling up the buffer
> > if you haven't run the daemon to read it out.
>
> Yes, xend is running. For now, I've hacked printk to call good old
> HYPERVISOR_console_write, and skipped the call to register_console().

Sound slike that's the best plan for now. Only xc_dom_create.py sets
up the shared comms with teh DOM0 console daemon, so this
necessary initialisation is missing from the resume tools at the
moment. We can work on integrating this later.

-- Keir

Keir.Fraser at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 7:33 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:32, Ian Pratt wrote:
>
> > Are you running 'xend'? The current console implementation is
> > blocking, and hence you could stall after filling up the buffer
> > if you haven't run the daemon to read it out.
>
> Yes, xend is running. For now, I've hacked printk to call good old
> HYPERVISOR_console_write, and skipped the call to register_console().

Sound slike that's the best plan for now. Only xc_dom_create.py sets
up the shared comms with teh DOM0 console daemon, so this
necessary initialisation is missing from the resume tools at the
moment. We can work on integrating this later.

-- Keir

Ian.Pratt at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 7:35 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]

> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:32, Ian Pratt wrote:
>
> > Are you running 'xend'? The current console implementation is
> > blocking, and hence you could stall after filling up the buffer
> > if you haven't run the daemon to read it out.
>
> Yes, xend is running. For now, I've hacked printk to call good old
> HYPERVISOR_console_write, and skipped the call to register_console().

Odd. This is with a xenolinux built from the same repository,
right?

I think using HYPERVISOR_console_write is probably best for what
you're doing anyhow -- the new xend console stuff has yet to be
integrated with suspend/resume yet, but this should be
straightforward.

Ian

Ian.Pratt at cl

Mar 10, 2004, 7:35 AM

Re: HYPERVISOR_console_write gone? [In reply to]