Mailing List Archive: Xen: Devel

Problems

Xen devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jahluwal at cs

Nov 23, 2003, 10:02 PM

Problems

Hi,

We followed the instructions listed at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~br260/xeno-howto. We are using Mandrake 9.2 on a P4
1.6 ghz with 512mb of ram. We have several issues:

1). On our first boot up into domain zero it says it can't find any of the
hardware (cdrom, hda, fd0, etc.).
2). We get a lot of warnings when booting into domain zero and when starting
domains about files that should be in /var/lib/xen or xeno-something.
3). xen_nat_enable doesn't exist.
4). xen_read_console says it cannot bind to a port.
5). Our xenctl.xml is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<domctl_defaults>
<domain_name>XenoLinux</domain_name>
<domain_size_kb>98304</domain_size_kb>
<domain_image>/boot/xenolinux.gz</domain_image>
<domain_vifs>1</domain_vifs>
<domain_init_rd>/boot/initrd.img</domain_init_rd>
<root_device>/dev/hda5</root_device>
<root_args>ro</root_args>
<args>DOMID=+</args>
<nw_ip>192.168.1.5+</nw_ip>
<nw_gw>192.168.1.1</nw_gw>
<nw_mask>255.255.255.0</nw_mask>
<max_domain_number>1000</max_domain_number>
<xi_tools_dir>/usr/local/bin/</xi_tools_dir>
</domctl_defaults>

6). Our xen-mynewdom file is as follows:
domain new
physical grant -p/dev/hda5
domain start

7). When we create a domain with the script above, we also get a warning
about nothing in /var/lib/xen and that it cannot find /dev/hda5.
8). We can initially ping the new domain once it has been started but cannot
ssh into it.

We hope that you can shed some light on these issues.

Thank You,
Jas

br260 at cam

Nov 24, 2003, 4:20 AM

Re: Problems [In reply to]

On 24 Nov 2003, at 05:02, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We followed the instructions listed
> athttp://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~br260/xeno-howto. We are using Mandrake 9.2
> on a P4 1.6 ghzwith 512mb of ram. We have several issues:
>

> 1). On our first boot up into domain zero it says it can’t find any of
> the hardware (cdrom, hda, fd0, etc.).

It says it can't find any of the hardware, but you still manage
to boot and log into Domain0. It must be some bugs that
create all these noises.

> 2). We get a lot of warnings when booting into domain zero and when
> starting domains about files that should be in /var/lib/xen or
> xeno-something.

This is sth new to me. Let me look into this.

> 3). xen_nat_enable doesn’t exist.

It's under 'tools/misc'. Current Makefile doesn't
copy it to '../../../install/bin'. That's why you can't
find it. Just copy it from 'tools/misc' into PATH.

> 4). xen_read_console says it cannot bind to a port.

You have to successfully run 'xen_nat_enable' before
running 'xen_read_console &' ('&' means running in background).
You must run it as 'root'.

> 5).  Ourxenctl.xml is as follows:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <domctl_defaults>
> <domain_name>XenoLinux</domain_name>
> <domain_size_kb>98304</domain_size_kb>
> <domain_image>/boot/xenolinux.gz</domain_image>
> <domain_vifs>1</domain_vifs>
> <domain_init_rd>/boot/initrd.img</domain_init_rd>
> <root_device>/dev/hda5</root_device>
> <root_args>ro</root_args>
> <args>DOMID=+</args>
> <nw_ip>192.168.1.5+</nw_ip>

It's better for you to use:
<nw_ip>169.254.1.0+</nw_ip>

> <nw_gw>192.168.1.1</nw_gw>

Use:
<nw_gw>169.254.1.0</nw_gw>

> <nw_mask>255.255.255.0</nw_mask>
> <max_domain_number>1000</max_domain_number>
> <xi_tools_dir>/usr/local/bin/</xi_tools_dir>
> </domctl_defaults>
>
> 6). Ourxen-mynewdom file is as follows:
> domain new
> physical grant –p/dev/hda5
> domain start
>
> 7). When we create a domain with the script above, we also get a
> warning about nothing in /var/lib/xen and that it cannot find
> /dev/hda5.

Looks like noise again.

> 8). We can initially ping the new domain once it has been started but
> cannot ssh into it.

After you successfully run 'xen_nat_enable'
and 'xen_read_console &', you will see
XenoLinux boot message on your console
when starting a new domain.

Look into the message and see if there is
any line talks about 'starting sshd'.

If so, it's obvious that you don't link 'sshd'
into your run level directory (similar to
/etc/rc2.d for level 2, etc). Do that.

-- Bin

br260 at cam

Nov 24, 2003, 4:26 AM

Re: Problems [In reply to]

On 24 Nov 2003, at 05:02, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> 2). We get a lot of warnings when booting into domain zero and when
> starting domains about files that should be in /var/lib/xen or
> xeno-something.

This is the noise by current tools written in Java,
located under 'tools/control'. It tries to read default
virtual block device information from files in
'/var/lib/xen/'.

Keir is rewritting all the tools in Python. Many
changes are already present in 'xeno-unstable.bk'
Currently, you may have to tolerate the noises
produced by the aged Java tools.

-- Bin

orish at post

Nov 24, 2003, 4:59 AM

Re: Problems [In reply to]

Hi,

I've recently installed xen successfully on Mandrake.

> 6). Ourxen-mynewdom file is as follows:
> > domain new
> > physical grant –p/dev/hda5
> > domain start
> >
> > 7). When we create a domain with the script above, we also get a
> > warning about nothing in /var/lib/xen and that it cannot find
> > /dev/hda5.

I also had problem no. 7, but when I changed the second line of mynewdom
to:
physical grant -phda5
it worked.

Ori.

jahluwal at cs

Nov 24, 2003, 10:25 AM

RE: Problems [In reply to]

Hi Ben, Thanks a lot for your help.

The reason I set the IP addresses as such is because I must be able to log
into the other domains (all domains > 0) remotely. Will I still be able to
if I do them as you have suggested?

Thanks,
Jas

On 24 Nov 2003, at 05:02, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We followed the instructions listed
> athttp://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~br260/xeno-howto. We are using Mandrake 9.2
> on a P4 1.6 ghzwith 512mb of ram. We have several issues:
>

> 1). On our first boot up into domain zero it says it can’t find any of
> the hardware (cdrom, hda, fd0, etc.).

It says it can't find any of the hardware, but you still manage
to boot and log into Domain0. It must be some bugs that
create all these noises.

> 2). We get a lot of warnings when booting into domain zero and when
> starting domains about files that should be in /var/lib/xen or
> xeno-something.

This is sth new to me. Let me look into this.

> 3). xen_nat_enable doesn’t exist.

It's under 'tools/misc'. Current Makefile doesn't
copy it to '../../../install/bin'. That's why you can't
find it. Just copy it from 'tools/misc' into PATH.

> 4). xen_read_console says it cannot bind to a port.

You have to successfully run 'xen_nat_enable' before
running 'xen_read_console &' ('&' means running in background).
You must run it as 'root'.

> 5).  Ourxenctl.xml is as follows:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <domctl_defaults>
> <domain_name>XenoLinux</domain_name>
> <domain_size_kb>98304</domain_size_kb>
> <domain_image>/boot/xenolinux.gz</domain_image>
> <domain_vifs>1</domain_vifs>
> <domain_init_rd>/boot/initrd.img</domain_init_rd>
> <root_device>/dev/hda5</root_device>
> <root_args>ro</root_args>
> <args>DOMID=+</args>
> <nw_ip>192.168.1.5+</nw_ip>

It's better for you to use:
<nw_ip>169.254.1.0+</nw_ip>

> <nw_gw>192.168.1.1</nw_gw>

Use:
<nw_gw>169.254.1.0</nw_gw>

> <nw_mask>255.255.255.0</nw_mask>
> <max_domain_number>1000</max_domain_number>
> <xi_tools_dir>/usr/local/bin/</xi_tools_dir>
> </domctl_defaults>
>
> 6). Ourxen-mynewdom file is as follows:
> domain new
> physical grant –p/dev/hda5
> domain start
>
> 7). When we create a domain with the script above, we also get a
> warning about nothing in /var/lib/xen and that it cannot find
> /dev/hda5.

Looks like noise again.

> 8). We can initially ping the new domain once it has been started but
> cannot ssh into it.

After you successfully run 'xen_nat_enable'
and 'xen_read_console &', you will see
XenoLinux boot message on your console
when starting a new domain.

Look into the message and see if there is
any line talks about 'starting sshd'.

If so, it's obvious that you don't link 'sshd'
into your run level directory (similar to
/etc/rc2.d for level 2, etc). Do that.

-- Bin

br260 at cam

Nov 24, 2003, 10:44 AM

Re: Problems [In reply to]

On 24 Nov 2003, at 17:25, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> The reason I set the IP addresses as such is because I must be able to
> log
> into the other domains (all domains > 0) remotely. Will I still be
> able to
> if I do them as you have suggested?

What do you mean by remotely? From another real
computer on the LAN?

Both 169.254.X.X and 192.168.X.X are private IP
addresses. If you want to access these IP addresses
from outside, you have to set up NAT rules in the gateway.

e.g.:

Your Domain0 has a real physical network interface
which is connected to the local network with IP address
A.B.C.D and you use 169.254.1.0 as the IP address
for Domain0 virtual network interface.

Newly created domain 1 has 169.254.1.1 as the IP
address for virtual network interface, and 169.254.1.0
as gateway.

Now, you want to visit domain1 from another real
physical computer on LAN, whose IP address is
A.B.C.E

Then, you must insert NAT rules in Domain0. As
a result, when A.B.C.E connects to A.B.C.D, port
9991, Domain0 forwards the packet to domain1
(i.e. 169.254.1.1)

In short, there is no difference between using
169.254.1.x and 192.168.1.x, but our current
'xen_nat_enable' hard codes 169.254.1.x,
so it's more convenient to follow suit.

You can find further online information on NAT.

-- Bin

jahluwal at cs

Nov 24, 2003, 1:04 PM

RE: Problems [In reply to]

Hi,

Thanks for the info. So I did what was said in the past few e-mails you have
sent me and when I ran xen_nat_enable I got a message about "iptables,
command not found. Have you built netfilter?"

So I installed iptables from the mandrake disk that I have and now its
saying "iptables: invalid argument. Have you built netfilter?"

Thanks,
Jas

On 24 Nov 2003, at 17:25, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> The reason I set the IP addresses as such is because I must be able to
> log
> into the other domains (all domains > 0) remotely. Will I still be
> able to
> if I do them as you have suggested?

What do you mean by remotely? From another real
computer on the LAN?

Both 169.254.X.X and 192.168.X.X are private IP
addresses. If you want to access these IP addresses
from outside, you have to set up NAT rules in the gateway.

e.g.:

Your Domain0 has a real physical network interface
which is connected to the local network with IP address
A.B.C.D and you use 169.254.1.0 as the IP address
for Domain0 virtual network interface.

Newly created domain 1 has 169.254.1.1 as the IP
address for virtual network interface, and 169.254.1.0
as gateway.

Now, you want to visit domain1 from another real
physical computer on LAN, whose IP address is
A.B.C.E

Then, you must insert NAT rules in Domain0. As
a result, when A.B.C.E connects to A.B.C.D, port
9991, Domain0 forwards the packet to domain1
(i.e. 169.254.1.1)

In short, there is no difference between using
169.254.1.x and 192.168.1.x, but our current
'xen_nat_enable' hard codes 169.254.1.x,
so it's more convenient to follow suit.

You can find further online information on NAT.

-- Bin

br260 at cam

Nov 24, 2003, 1:47 PM

Re: Problems [In reply to]

On 24 Nov 2003, at 20:04, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> So I installed iptables from the mandrake disk that I have and now its
> saying "iptables: invalid argument. Have you built netfilter?"

'netfilter' is a module in Linux kernel. 'iptables' is its user space
tools. They are two close parts.

You need to recompile your kernel with support for 'netfilter'.
Details:

make menuconfig

under 'Networking options --->', select 'Network packet
filtering (replaces ipchains)'.

-- Bin

jahluwal at cs

Nov 24, 2003, 5:20 PM

RE: Problems [In reply to]

Hi,

I did a complete reinstall, this time making sure that iptables was
installed. I also verified that the option was checked when the kernel was
compiled. However, I am getting the same error.

I ran the individual commands inside of the xen_nat_enable script and it
seems fine except on the following commands:

run_iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 169.254.0.0/16 -j MASQUERADE
and
run_iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 2201 -j DNAT --to
169.254.1.1:22

I assume since the above command doesn't work the rest of the ssh ones won't
either.

Could it be that I have some old (or perhaps even new) version of iptables
that doesn't match the commands in the xen_nat_enable script?

Thanks,
Jas

On 24 Nov 2003, at 20:04, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> So I installed iptables from the mandrake disk that I have and now its
> saying "iptables: invalid argument. Have you built netfilter?"

'netfilter' is a module in Linux kernel. 'iptables' is its user space
tools. They are two close parts.

You need to recompile your kernel with support for 'netfilter'.
Details:

make menuconfig

under 'Networking options --->', select 'Network packet
filtering (replaces ipchains)'.

-- Bin

br260 at cam

Nov 24, 2003, 6:02 PM

Re: Problems [In reply to]

On 25 Nov 2003, at 00:20, Jaswinder S. Ahluwalia wrote:

> Could it be that I have some old (or perhaps even new) version of
> iptables
> that doesn't match the commands in the xen_nat_enable script?

This seems to be the most reasonable explanation.
I personally use iptables v1.2.9, what about yours?

-- Bin