Mailing List Archive: Xen: Devel

Frag is bigger than frame.

Xen devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

netwiz at crc

Frag is bigger than frame.

Hi all,

I've noticed a couple of DomUs have networking freeze with the following
getting printed to the Dom0's /var/log/messages:

Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: Frag is bigger than
frame.
Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: fatal error;
disabling device
Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: br0: port 5(vif.crc) entered disabled state

I thought this was something to do with MAX_SKB_FRAGS - however the
kernel I use has this increased to 19 - so in theory I shouldn't hit
this (as far as I know).

Are there any other things that could trigger this?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz [at] crc
Web: https://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
Fax: (03) 8338 0299

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

wei.liu2 at citrix

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed a couple of DomUs have networking freeze with the following
> getting printed to the Dom0's /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: Frag is bigger than
> frame.
> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: fatal error;
> disabling device
> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: br0: port 5(vif.crc) entered disabled state
>
> I thought this was something to do with MAX_SKB_FRAGS - however the
> kernel I use has this increased to 19 - so in theory I shouldn't hit
> this (as far as I know).
>
> Are there any other things that could trigger this?

You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is
not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.

Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /
netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.

Wei.

> --
> Steven Haigh
>
> Email: netwiz [at] crc
> Web: https://www.crc.id.au
> Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
> Fax: (03) 8338 0299

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

liuw at liuw

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] citrix> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've noticed a couple of DomUs have networking freeze with the following
>> getting printed to the Dom0's /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: Frag is bigger than
>> frame.
>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: fatal error;
>> disabling device
>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: br0: port 5(vif.crc) entered disabled state
>>
>> I thought this was something to do with MAX_SKB_FRAGS - however the
>> kernel I use has this increased to 19 - so in theory I shouldn't hit
>> this (as far as I know).
>>
>> Are there any other things that could trigger this?
>>

> You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is
> not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.
>
> Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /
> netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.

BTW with that series you should be able to get rid of the
MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack.

Wei.

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

netwiz at crc

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On 26/04/2013 1:36 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] citrix> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've noticed a couple of DomUs have networking freeze with the following
>>> getting printed to the Dom0's /var/log/messages:
>>>
>>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: Frag is bigger than
>>> frame.
>>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: fatal error;
>>> disabling device
>>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: br0: port 5(vif.crc) entered disabled state
>>>
>>> I thought this was something to do with MAX_SKB_FRAGS - however the
>>> kernel I use has this increased to 19 - so in theory I shouldn't hit
>>> this (as far as I know).
>>>
>>> Are there any other things that could trigger this?
>>>

>> You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is
>> not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.
>>
>> Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /
>> netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.
>>

> BTW with that series you should be able to get rid of the
> MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack.

This could be quite difficult. The DomU kernel is RHEL based - and not
easily changed without sending the patch upstream to RH - which may or
may not apply it.

My google-fu has failed a little here - do you have a link to the
patches? Is it against Xen or the kernel? Further, is it something that
just altering the Dom0 part would resolve?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz [at] crc
Web: https://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
Fax: (03) 8338 0299

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

giamteckchoon at gmail

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

I guess those patches posted by Wei Liu are suitable for all kernels
regardless it is used for domU or dom0. However the fix to address the
guest interface is for dom0 and that is why Wei Liu mentioned that you
should be able to revert your "MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack".

Wei Liu posted those patches (few versions) few times to xen-devel mailing
list besides others. I guess should be this
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-04/msg02118.html is the
latest for net-next. Search xen-devel with Author "Wei Liu" you should be
able to get what you want.

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Steven Haigh <netwiz [at] crc> wrote:

> On 26/04/2013 1:36 AM, Wei Liu wrote:

>>> You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is
>>> not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.
>>>
>>> Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /
>>> netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.
>>>

>> BTW with that series you should be able to get rid of the
>> MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack.
>>

> This could be quite difficult. The DomU kernel is RHEL based - and not
> easily changed without sending the patch upstream to RH - which may or may
> not apply it.
>
> My google-fu has failed a little here - do you have a link to the patches?
> Is it against Xen or the kernel? Further, is it something that just
> altering the Dom0 part would resolve?
>

> --
> Steven Haigh
>
> Email: netwiz [at] crc
> Web: https://www.crc.id.au
> Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
> Fax: (03) 8338 0299

> Xen-devel [at] lists
> http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

wei.liu2 at citrix

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 05:21:06AM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 26/04/2013 1:36 AM, Wei Liu wrote:

> >> You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is
> >> not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.
> >>
> >> Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /
> >> netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.
> >>

> > BTW with that series you should be able to get rid of the
> > MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack.
>
> This could be quite difficult. The DomU kernel is RHEL based - and not
> easily changed without sending the patch upstream to RH - which may or
> may not apply it.
>
> My google-fu has failed a little here - do you have a link to the
> patches? Is it against Xen or the kernel? Further, is it something that
> just altering the Dom0 part would resolve?

They are for Linux kernel only. Xen is not involved.

To get rid of your MAX_SKB_FRAGS hack, you need to patch Dom0 only.

To fix "Frag is bigger than frame", you need to patch DomU. If that's
not possible at the moment, I remember seeing a thread about disabling
guest GSO can workaround ths problem. You can give it a shot.

Wei.

> --
> Steven Haigh
>
> Email: netwiz [at] crc
> Web: https://www.crc.id.au
> Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
> Fax: (03) 8338 0299

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

wei.liu2 at citrix

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:21:30AM +0100, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
> I guess those patches posted by Wei Liu are suitable for all kernels regardless it is used for domU or dom0. However the fix to address the guest interface is for dom0 and that is why Wei Liu mentioned that you should be able to revert your "MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack".

Yes, that's the final series. To apply those four fixes, you would need
to cherry-pick 3 prerequisit changesets though. Search for my name in
DaveM's net-next tree and you will see three mechanical fixes prior to
those four.

Wei.

> Thanks.
>
> Kindest regards,
> Giam Teck Choon
>

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Steven Haigh <netwiz [at] crc<mailto:netwiz [at] crc>> wrote:
> On 26/04/2013 1:36 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] citrix<mailto:wei.liu2 [at] citrix>> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed a couple of DomUs have networking freeze with the following
> getting printed to the Dom0's /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: Frag is bigger than
> frame.
> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: fatal error;
> disabling device
> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: br0: port 5(vif.crc) entered disabled state
>
> I thought this was something to do with MAX_SKB_FRAGS - however the
> kernel I use has this increased to 19 - so in theory I shouldn't hit
> this (as far as I know).
>
> Are there any other things that could trigger this?
>

> You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is
> not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.
>
> Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /
> netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.
>

> BTW with that series you should be able to get rid of the
> MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack.
>
> This could be quite difficult. The DomU kernel is RHEL based - and not easily changed without sending the patch upstream to RH - which may or may not apply it.
>
> My google-fu has failed a little here - do you have a link to the patches? Is it against Xen or the kernel? Further, is it something that just altering the Dom0 part would resolve?
>

> --
> Steven Haigh
>
> Email: netwiz [at] crc<mailto:netwiz [at] crc>
> Web: https://www.crc.id.au
> Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
> Fax: (03) 8338 0299

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

giamteckchoon at gmail

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] citrix> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 09:21:30AM +0100, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
> > I guess those patches posted by Wei Liu are suitable for all kernels
> regardless it is used for domU or dom0. However the fix to address the
> guest interface is for dom0 and that is why Wei Liu mentioned that you
> should be able to revert your "MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack".
> >
> > Wei Liu posted those patches (few versions) few times to xen-devel
> mailing list besides others. I guess should be this
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-04/msg02118.html is the
> latest for net-next. Search xen-devel with Author "Wei Liu" you should be
> able to get what you want.
> >

> Yes, that's the final series. To apply those four fixes, you would need
> to cherry-pick 3 prerequisit changesets though. Search for my name in
> DaveM's net-next tree and you will see three mechanical fixes prior to
> those four.

Sorry for my previous top-posting :( Didn't notice it since google changed
its web interface for composing mails... which I not used to :p

Ok...

The four are:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=697089dc13c52d668322ac6cb8548520de27ed0e
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=9ecd1a75d977e2e8c48139c7d3efed183f898d94
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=2810e5b9a7731ca5fce22bfbe12c96e16ac44b6f
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=03393fd5cc2b6cdeec32b704ecba64dbb0feae3c

The 3 prerequisit ones are (I guess):

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=e2d617c0ccf658a55552955f07018ecfa0135210
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=7158ff6d0c6aa3724fb51c6c11143d31e166eb1f
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=27f852282ab9a028f57da96d05c26f38c424a315

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

> Wei.
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Kindest regards,
> > Giam Teck Choon
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Steven Haigh <netwiz [at] crc<mailto:
> netwiz [at] crc>> wrote:
> > On 26/04/2013 1:36 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] citrix<mailto:
> wei.liu2 [at] citrix>> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've noticed a couple of DomUs have networking freeze with the following
> > getting printed to the Dom0's /var/log/messages:
> >
> > Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: Frag is bigger than
> > frame.
> > Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: fatal error;
> > disabling device
> > Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: br0: port 5(vif.crc) entered disabled
> state
> >
> > I thought this was something to do with MAX_SKB_FRAGS - however the
> > kernel I use has this increased to 19 - so in theory I shouldn't hit
> > this (as far as I know).
> >
> > Are there any other things that could trigger this?
> >

> > You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is
> > not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.
> >
> > Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /
> > netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.
> >

> > BTW with that series you should be able to get rid of the
> > MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack.
> >
> > This could be quite difficult. The DomU kernel is RHEL based - and not
> easily changed without sending the patch upstream to RH - which may or may
> not apply it.
> >
> > My google-fu has failed a little here - do you have a link to the
> patches? Is it against Xen or the kernel? Further, is it something that
> just altering the Dom0 part would resolve?
> >

> > --
> > Steven Haigh
> >
> > Email: netwiz [at] crc<mailto:netwiz [at] crc>
> > Web: https://www.crc.id.au
> > Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897
> > Fax: (03) 8338 0299

> > Xen-devel [at] lists<mailto:Xen-devel [at] lists>
> > http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

alecsnox at gmail

Jun 3, 2013, 5:49 PM

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 05:21:06AM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:
>* On 26/04/2013 1:36 AM, Wei Liu wrote:*
>* > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] xxxxxxxxx> wrote:*
>* >> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Steven Haigh wrote:*
>* >>> Hi all,*
>* >>>*
>* >>> I've noticed a couple of DomUs have networking freeze with the following*
>* >>> getting printed to the Dom0's /var/log/messages:*
>* >>>*
>* >>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: Frag is bigger than*
>* >>> frame.*
>* >>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: vif vif-4-0 vif.crc: fatal error;*
>* >>> disabling device*
>* >>> Apr 25 12:09:25 hosting kernel: br0: port 5(vif.crc) entered disabled *
>* >>> state*
>* >>>*
>* >>> I thought this was something to do with MAX_SKB_FRAGS - however the*
>* >>> kernel I use has this increased to 19 - so in theory I shouldn't hit*
>* >>> this (as far as I know).*
>* >>>*
>* >>> Are there any other things that could trigger this?*
>* >>>*
>* >>*
>* >> You're seeing a netfront bug which is fixed in that series. And it is*
>* >> not related to MAX_SKB_FRAGS but related to GSO.*
>* >>*
>* >> Could you try applying my patch set "Bundle fixes for Xen netfront /*
>* >> netback" version 7. That series has been applied to DaveM's net-next.*
>* >>*
>* >*
>* > BTW with that series you should be able to get rid of the*
>* > MAX_SKB_FRAGS -> 19 hack.*
>* *
>* This could be quite difficult. The DomU kernel is RHEL based - and not *
>* easily changed without sending the patch upstream to RH - which may or *
>* may not apply it.*
>* *
>* My google-fu has failed a little here - do you have a link to the *
>* patches? Is it against Xen or the kernel? Further, is it something that *
>* just altering the Dom0 part would resolve?*
>* *

They are for Linux kernel only. Xen is not involved.

To get rid of your MAX_SKB_FRAGS hack, you need to patch Dom0 only.

To fix "Frag is bigger than frame", you need to patch DomU. If that's
not possible at the moment, I remember seeing a thread about disabling
guest GSO can workaround ths problem. You can give it a shot.

Wei.

>* -- *
>* Steven Haigh*
>* *
>* Email: netwiz [at] xxxxxxxx*
>* Web: https://www.crc.id.au*
>* Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897*
>* Fax: (03) 8338 0299*

Wei,

we just hit this bug as well on CentOS 5.9 with kernels
2.6.18-348.4.1.el5 and 2.6.18-348.6.1.el5, however I checked it on all
domUs and dom0s GSO is off, only TSO is on. Would TSO still cause this
issue?

Alex

wei.liu2 at citrix

Jun 4, 2013, 1:44 AM

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 05:49:11PM -0700, Alex A wrote:
> [...]
>
> They are for Linux kernel only. Xen is not involved.
>
> To get rid of your MAX_SKB_FRAGS hack, you need to patch Dom0 only.
>
> To fix "Frag is bigger than frame", you need to patch DomU. If that's
> not possible at the moment, I remember seeing a thread about disabling
> guest GSO can workaround ths problem. You can give it a shot.
>

> Wei.
>
> >* -- *
> >* Steven Haigh*
> >* *
> >* Email: netwiz [at] xxxxxxxx*
> >* Web: https://www.crc.id.au*
> >* Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897*
> >* Fax: (03) 8338 0299*
>

> Wei,
>
> we just hit this bug as well on CentOS 5.9 with kernels
> 2.6.18-348.4.1.el5 and 2.6.18-348.6.1.el5, however I checked it on all
> domUs and dom0s GSO is off, only TSO is on. Would TSO still cause this

I really think the proper thing to do is to fix your backend instead of
working around that problem -- the patch is available now and you're
running your customized kernel, right?

Wei.

> Alex

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

alecsnox at gmail

Jun 4, 2013, 12:56 PM

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] citrix> wrote:

> [...]
> > not possible at the moment, I remember seeing a thread about disabling
> > guest GSO can workaround ths problem. You can give it a shot.
> >

> > Wei.
> >
> > >* -- *
> > >* Steven Haigh*
> > >* *
> > >* Email: netwiz [at] xxxxxxxx*
> > >* Web: https://www.crc.id.au*
> > >* Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897*
> > >* Fax: (03) 8338 0299*
> >

> > Wei,
> >
> > we just hit this bug as well on CentOS 5.9 with kernels
> > 2.6.18-348.4.1.el5 and 2.6.18-348.6.1.el5, however I checked it on all
> > domUs and dom0s GSO is off, only TSO is on. Would TSO still cause this
> > issue?
> >

> I really think the proper thing to do is to fix your backend instead of
> working around that problem -- the patch is available now and you're

I completely agree that fixing the backend is the proper thing to do. Do
you mean these patches?

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=697089dc13c52d668322ac6cb8548520de27ed0e

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=9ecd1a75d977e2e8c48139c7d3efed183f898d94

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=2810e5b9a7731ca5fce22bfbe12c96e16ac44b6f

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=03393fd5cc2b6cdeec32b704ecba64dbb0feae3c

If I'm not mistaken aren't these patches against 2.6.3x kernel or 3.0.x?
I'm running 2.6.18, so I would have to port those patches to 2.6.18 base,
unless there exist same patches for 2.6.18?
Also you are correct, we are running our custom compiled rhel kernels, that
are based on rhel source rpms.

Alex

wei.liu2 at citrix

Jun 4, 2013, 1:08 PM

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:56:35PM -0700, Alex A wrote:
[...]
> > > we just hit this bug as well on CentOS 5.9 with kernels
> > > 2.6.18-348.4.1.el5 and 2.6.18-348.6.1.el5, however I checked it on all
> > > domUs and dom0s GSO is off, only TSO is on. Would TSO still cause this
> > > issue?
> > >

> > I really think the proper thing to do is to fix your backend instead of
> > working around that problem -- the patch is available now and you're
> > running your customized kernel, right?
> >

> > Wei.
> >
> > > Alex
> >

> I completely agree that fixing the backend is the proper thing to do. Do
> you mean these patches?
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=697089dc13c52d668322ac6cb8548520de27ed0e
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=9ecd1a75d977e2e8c48139c7d3efed183f898d94
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=2810e5b9a7731ca5fce22bfbe12c96e16ac44b6f
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=03393fd5cc2b6cdeec32b704ecba64dbb0feae3c
>

> If I'm not mistaken aren't these patches against 2.6.3x kernel or 3.0.x?
> I'm running 2.6.18, so I would have to port those patches to 2.6.18 base,
> unless there exist same patches for 2.6.18?
> Also you are correct, we are running our custom compiled rhel kernels, that
> are based on rhel source rpms.

Sorry I don't understand. Do you mean your Dom0 is 2.6.18? My patches
are against 3.10, the backporting is undergoing, however I don't think
they will be backported to 2.6.18. If you're running 2.6.18 Dom0,
presumably who backported XSA-39 will also backport those patches?

Jan maintains 2.6.18 tree with minimum required patches applied to fix
your problem (Frag bigger than frame), you might want to have a look at
the last two patches in tree.
http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/

Wei.

> Alex

Xen-devel [at] lists
http://lists.xen.org/xen-devel

alecsnox at gmail

Jun 10, 2013, 10:15 PM

Re: Frag is bigger than frame. [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2 [at] citrix> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:56:35PM -0700, Alex A wrote:
> [...]
> all
> this
> > > >

> > > I really think the proper thing to do is to fix your backend instead of
> > > working around that problem -- the patch is available now and you're
> > > running your customized kernel, right?
> > >

> > > Wei.

> > I completely agree that fixing the backend is the proper thing to do. Do
> > you mean these patches?
> >

> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=697089dc13c52d668322ac6cb8548520de27ed0e
> >

> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=9ecd1a75d977e2e8c48139c7d3efed183f898d94
> >

> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=2810e5b9a7731ca5fce22bfbe12c96e16ac44b6f
> >

> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/commit/?id=03393fd5cc2b6cdeec32b704ecba64dbb0feae3c
> >

> > If I'm not mistaken aren't these patches against 2.6.3x kernel or 3.0.x?
> > I'm running 2.6.18, so I would have to port those patches to 2.6.18 base,
> > unless there exist same patches for 2.6.18?
> > Also you are correct, we are running our custom compiled rhel kernels,
> that
> > are based on rhel source rpms.
> >

> Sorry I don't understand. Do you mean your Dom0 is 2.6.18? My patches
> are against 3.10, the backporting is undergoing, however I don't think
> they will be backported to 2.6.18. If you're running 2.6.18 Dom0,
> presumably who backported XSA-39 will also backport those patches?
>
> Jan maintains 2.6.18 tree with minimum required patches applied to fix
> your problem (Frag bigger than frame), you might want to have a look at
> the last two patches in tree.
> http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg/
>

> Wei.
>
> > Alex

Yes, my Dom0 is 2.6.18, it's based on RHEL 5. They're the ones you
backported XSA-39, but they're not indicating when they will backport your
fix, they've made the bug private.

I looked at Jan's tree and found those two patches you mentioned, I will
create my own patch based on those two and rebuild the kernels.

Thank you!

Alex

Xen devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded