Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

OVS, CloudStack, and Crashing XenServer

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cweise at iswest

Jul 6, 2012, 9:13 AM

OVS, CloudStack, and Crashing XenServer

I have recently encountered a reproducible and rather catastrophic issue with OVS and XenServer caused by CloudStack. For CloudStack, during the "snapshot" process with CloudStack a snapshot is created on the XS host, then it's copied off to an NFS share as a .vhd file via a specialized VM called the secondary storage VM (SSVM).

If the SSVM and guest VM that is being snapshotted are on the same host about 4-5 GB into the copy process ovs-vswitchd consumes all available CPU on the host to the point that it becomes unusable and all management interfaces (including our 10gbit iSCSI NICs) become unresponsive. I've waited over 30 minutes for this problem to correct itself but it never seems to. After switching from OVS to bridged networking mode I have been able to successfully copy 100GB snapshots without issue.

Any insight into this would be appreciated. I would be happy to reproduce this problem and provide any logs available.

blp at cs

Jul 9, 2012, 9:20 AM

Re: OVS, CloudStack, and Crashing XenServer [In reply to]

Clayton Weise <cweise [at] iswest> writes:

> I have recently encountered a reproducible and rather catastrophic
> issue with OVS and XenServer caused by CloudStack. For CloudStack,
> during the "snapshot" process with CloudStack a snapshot is created on
> the XS host, then it's copied off to an NFS share as a .vhd file via a
> specialized VM called the secondary storage VM (SSVM).
>
> If the SSVM and guest VM that is being snapshotted are on the same
> host about 4-5 GB into the copy process ovs-vswitchd consumes all
> available CPU on the host to the point that it becomes unusable and
> all management interfaces (including our 10gbit iSCSI NICs) become
> unresponsive. I've waited over 30 minutes for this problem to correct
> itself but it never seems to. After switching from OVS to bridged
> networking mode I have been able to successfully copy 100GB snapshots
> without issue.
>
> Any insight into this would be appreciated. I would be happy to
> reproduce this problem and provide any logs available.

What version of Open vSwitch is this?

The usual place to report bugs in Open vSwitch is
bugs [at] openvswitch

cweise at iswest

Jul 9, 2012, 9:26 AM

Re: OVS, CloudStack, and Crashing XenServer [In reply to]

> What version of Open vSwitch is this?

Version 1.0.99 -- the version included with Citrix XenServer 6.0.0

> The usual place to report bugs in Open vSwitch is
> bugs [at] openvswitch

I posted here at the request of Mike McClurg. I originally brought this up with CloudStack to see if it was something they wanted to know about and where to properly direct it. If I can confirm a few things with them, and it is indeed a bug with OVS then I will post it to bugs [at] openvswitch Thank you.

pasik at iki

Jul 14, 2012, 2:06 PM

Re: OVS, CloudStack, and Crashing XenServer [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 04:26:56PM +0000, Clayton Weise wrote:
> > What version of Open vSwitch is this?
>
> Version 1.0.99 -- the version included with Citrix XenServer 6.0.0

Did you try the latest version of XS ?