Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

This maillist status (xen-api@)

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

george.shuklin at gmail

This maillist status (xen-api@)

Good day.

I've still don't understand the scope of 'xen-api' maillist. Is it about
XenAPI? About xapi development? Or it iis just for XCP users to discuss
'user level' problems?

Thanks.

lars.kurth at xen

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

Right now this is the xcp-devel list. Maybe we need to rename the list:
we did not want to do this because renaming mailing lists can be
disruptive to users. There is also an open question on whether we should
introduce an xcp-users list to make to make things clearer.
Regards
Lars

On 04/05/2012 13:52, George Shuklin wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I've still don't understand the scope of 'xen-api' maillist. Is it
> about XenAPI? About xapi development? Or it iis just for XCP users to
> discuss 'user level' problems?
>
> Thanks.

george.shuklin at gmail

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

Yes, I'm thinking this will be really nice, because xen-api very
confusing name (compare to it content) and scope is very blurred.

On 04.05.2012 17:22, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Right now this is the xcp-devel list. Maybe we need to rename the
> list: we did not want to do this because renaming mailing lists can be
> disruptive to users. There is also an open question on whether we
> should introduce an xcp-users list to make to make things clearer.
> Regards
> Lars
>
> On 04/05/2012 13:52, George Shuklin wrote:
>> Good day.
>>
>> I've still don't understand the scope of 'xen-api' maillist. Is it
>> about XenAPI? About xapi development? Or it iis just for XCP users to
>> discuss 'user level' problems?
>>
>> Thanks.

cyberhawk001 at gmail

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

SO, by this i am to assume that the Xen-API list is NOT meant for
answering general questions? With that said, what WOULD be a good list
to ask questions on that does involve general questions, as i would
rather not involve or bug the developers with such trivial things? Since
I only had 3 simple ones before, it would be nice to know the answers to
them so i can work on installing the XenAPI, but i would like to know
where to ask in that case... :)

The Xen group has the Xen-users mailing list, XenAPI should make
something similar.....

thank you again....

> Yes, I'm thinking this will be really nice, because xen-api very
> confusing name (compare to it content) and scope is very blurred.
>

> On 04.05.2012 17:22, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Right now this is the xcp-devel list. Maybe we need to rename the
>> list: we did not want to do this because renaming mailing lists can
>> be disruptive to users. There is also an open question on whether we
>> should introduce an xcp-users list to make to make things clearer.
>> Regards
>> Lars
>>
>> On 04/05/2012 13:52, George Shuklin wrote:
>>> Good day.
>>>
>>> I've still don't understand the scope of 'xen-api' maillist. Is it
>>> about XenAPI? About xapi development? Or it iis just for XCP users
>>> to discuss 'user level' problems?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

bill at thebaums

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

Has there been discussion of moving these projects into a real online
community with message forums and so forth?

IMHO, something like Redmine could pay huge dividends for these projects.

--Bill

>> On 04.05.2012 17:22, Lars Kurth wrote:
>>>
>>> Right now this is the xcp-devel list. Maybe we need to rename the list:
>>> we did not want to do this because renaming mailing lists can be disruptive
>>> to users. There is also an open question on whether we should introduce an
>>> xcp-users list to make to make things clearer.
>>> Regards
>>> Lars

lars.kurth at xen

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

On 06/05/2012 09:00, William Baum wrote:
> Has there been discussion of moving these projects into a real online
> community with message forums and so forth?
There has been a discussion and as part of the new xen.og website there
will be a stackoverflow like Q&A system. An early prototype is out there
already. See http://new-www.xen.org/index.php/community/xen-questions.html

The categorization is still wrong, the webdeveloper moved a few FAQs
from the xen wiki to give me a feel what this would look like : I think
the categories should be

Xen / Getting Started Questions related to getting started, such as
set-up questions, etc.
Xen / Troubleshooting Issues related to Xen
Xen / Advanced Questions related to advanced Xen features
XCP / Getting Started Questions related to getting started, such as
set-up questions, etc.
XCP / Troubleshooting Issues related to XCP
XCP / Advanced Questions related to advanced XCP features
Xen ARM Questions and issues related to Xen ARM
Community Questions related to events, community, social activities, etc.

I originally was thinking of migrating the user list to a forum, but
that had a lukewarm reception. Moving the developer lists to forums is
rejected outright by developers.

Given that the new site should be live in 2-3 months, I am reluctant to
introduce a new xcp user mailing list now : too many places for
discussions fragment the community.

Renaming this list to xen-xcp may improve things a little.
We could channel user questions to a renamed xen-xcp list for the next
few months until the Q&A system is in place.
Let me talk to the XCP project lead and to a few people and come up with
a proposal.

Thanks for raising this

Lars

lars.kurth at xen

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

I just talked to Mike McClurg the XCP project lead, regarding this list.
So it appears that xen-api@ is already largely used for XCP user
questions as well as questions on the usage of XAPI.

So I see no strong reason to not rename the list to xcp-users, or
xcp_and_xapi-users or something similar. Technically this should be
possible, although there will be an impact to list users in that mail
filters would break. It would also drive xcp user traffic which also
happens today in xen-users to this list. The Q&A system described below,
would exist in parallel.

Please let me know your views. My proposal going forward is to
a) continue the informal discussion started by this thread for a little
longer
b) make a proposal and then have a vote
c) implement changes, including correcting the information on the wiki
and the xen site

Regards
Lars

On 06/05/2012 20:49, Lars Kurth wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 09:00, William Baum wrote:
>> Has there been discussion of moving these projects into a real online
>> community with message forums and so forth?
> There has been a discussion and as part of the new xen.og website
> there will be a stackoverflow like Q&A system. An early prototype is
> out there already. See
> http://new-www.xen.org/index.php/community/xen-questions.html
>
> The categorization is still wrong, the webdeveloper moved a few FAQs
> from the xen wiki to give me a feel what this would look like : I
> think the categories should be
>
> Xen / Getting Started Questions related to getting started, such as
> set-up questions, etc.
> Xen / Troubleshooting Issues related to Xen
> Xen / Advanced Questions related to advanced Xen features
> XCP / Getting Started Questions related to getting started, such as
> set-up questions, etc.
> XCP / Troubleshooting Issues related to XCP
> XCP / Advanced Questions related to advanced XCP features
> Xen ARM Questions and issues related to Xen ARM
> Community Questions related to events, community, social activities,
> etc.
>

> I originally was thinking of migrating the user list to a forum, but
> that had a lukewarm reception. Moving the developer lists to forums is
> rejected outright by developers.
>
> Given that the new site should be live in 2-3 months, I am reluctant
> to introduce a new xcp user mailing list now : too many places for
> discussions fragment the community.
>
> Renaming this list to xen-xcp may improve things a little.
> We could channel user questions to a renamed xen-xcp list for the next
> few months until the Q&A system is in place.
> Let me talk to the XCP project lead and to a few people and come up
> with a proposal.
>
> Thanks for raising this
>
> Lars

Dave.Scott at eu

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

Hi,

After this change, would we take all development-related emails for xapi (and associated services) to xen-devel?

Cheers,
Dave

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

On 7 May 2012, at 04:49, Lars Kurth wrote:

> There has been a discussion and as part of the new xen.og website there will be a stackoverflow like Q&A system. An early prototype is out there already. See http://new-www.xen.org/index.php/community/xen-questions.html

Is there any reason not to just use ServerFault as the Q&A system, rather than deploy and maintain an equivalent on new-www.xen.org? There are already a fair number of Xen-related questions on there, and they could use more answers.

http://serverfault.com/questions/tagged/xenserver
http://serverfault.com/questions/tagged/xen

-anil

lars.kurth at xen

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

On 08/05/2012 05:28, Dave Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After this change, would we take all development-related emails for
> xapi (and associated services) to xen-devel?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave

As I said, I just wanted to start a discussion. Maybe there is a case
for both.
Lars

lars.kurth at xen

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

On 08/05/2012 05:40, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:

> On 7 May 2012, at 04:49, Lars Kurth wrote:
>
>> There has been a discussion and as part of the new xen.og website
>> there will be a stackoverflow like Q&A system. An early prototype is
>> out there already.
>> Seehttp://new-www.xen.org/index.php/community/xen-questions.html
>
> Is there any reason not to just use ServerFault as the Q&A system,
> rather than deploy and maintain an equivalent on new-www.xen.org
> <http://new-www.xen.org>? There are already a fair number of
> Xen-related questions on there, and they could use more answers.
The reason why I believe we need to do this, is that today Xen has an
issue connecting with its user base. A design goal for the new site is
to create a motivation for Xen users to connect with Xen.org and sign
up. The Q&A system is only one aspect of this. Another one is the vendor
directory. We will do the same for the blog and maybe other resources in
future.

Where we started doing this, for example with the new wiki, we are
seeing new momentum. Most open source projects provide a place where the
community (users and developers) can congregate in one place. This
creates synergies between the developer and user communities (one can't
live without the other). Xen has never really done this, and was always
heavily biased towards developers. As a result users are scattered all
over the place and it appears that we have much less momentum than we
actually have.

As an aisde: new.xen.org will eventually become xen.org

Cheers
Lars

lars.kurth at xen

Re: This maillist status (xen-api@) [In reply to]

[...]

between the developer and user communities. Xen has never really done this,