Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

device disappeared from xenstore

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dbhout at sequenciainc

device disappeared from xenstore

Hi,

I'm getting closer with my Kronos on Debian configuration.

I'm issuing a series of xe commands to launch a vm and it's failing with a
"device disappeared from xenstore" error. Can anybody provide guidance?

Thanks,

Dave

Here is the sequence of CLI commands I'm running followed by the error message:

TEMPLATE=`xe template-list name-label=”Debian Squeeze 6.0 (32-bit)” --minimal
VM=`xe vm-install template=$TEMPLATE new-name-label=debian`
NETWORK=`xe network-list bridge=xenbr0 --minimal`
VIF=`xe vif-create vm-uuid=$VM network-uuid=$NETWORK device=0`
xe vm-param-set uuid=$VM
other-config:install-repository=http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
<http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian>
xe vm-memory-limits-set static-min=256MiB static-max=256MiB dynamic-min=256MiB
dynamic-max=256MiB vm=$VM
xe vm-start uuid=$VM

This runs for a few seconds and comes back with an error:
The server failed to handle your request, due to an internal error. The given
message may give details useful for debugging the problem.
message: the device disappeared from xenstore (frontend (domid=1 | kind=vbd |
debid=51712); backend (domid=0 | kind=vbd | devid=51712))

Jonathan.Ludlam at eu

Re: device disappeared from xenstore [In reply to]

Hi Dave,

Have you disabled xend? Run:

ps auxw | grep xend

and see if you get anything.

Jon

Re: device disappeared from xenstore [In reply to]

Thanks Jon - I ran that and xend is not running

Re: device disappeared from xenstore [In reply to]

Jon,

I see a lot of "[http_critical] Premature termination of connection!" messages.
Do you know if those are normal or perhaps that is a clue?

I attached a log snippet in case you are curious.

Thanks,

Dave

On May 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam [at] eu>
wrote:

> Hmm. Have a look through /var/log/xcp-xapi.log and see if there's anything
> interesting in there?
>
> Jon
>
> On 1 May 2012, at 14:24, David Hout wrote:
>
> > Thanks Jon - I ran that and xend is not running
> >

> > On May 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM Jonathan Ludlam < Jonathan.Ludlam [at] eu
> > <mailto:Jonathan.Ludlam [at] eu> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Dave,
> > >
> > > Have you disabled xend? Run:
> > >
> > > ps auxw | grep xend
> > >
> > > and see if you get anything.
> > >
> > > Jon

Attachments: xcp-xapi_snippet.log (101 KB)

Jonathan.Ludlam at eu

Re: device disappeared from xenstore [In reply to]

Those alarming 'http_critical' messages are all benign. Unfortunately there's nothing to indicate the cause of your problems in that log. Anything in /var/log/syslog?

[...]

<xcp-xapi_snippet.log>

dbhout at sequenciainc

Re: device disappeared from xenstore [In reply to]

Perhaps I should have asked this earlier but ...

I am trying to install kronos on a 64-bit debian installation on an amd64 box.
Should I be starting with the 32 bit debian iso instead? Does that matter?

Thanks!

Jonathan.Ludlam at eu

Re: device disappeared from xenstore [In reply to]

Thanks Jon

So I decided to go back and run the XCP 1.5 installation CD and make sure things
were still working for me with that. I found that I couldn't install a VM from
my NFS share onto XCP 1.5 either. However I was able to install and launch a VM
using the debian multiarch cd if I physically put it into the kronos pc.

Given this new information I decided to reinstall kronos and focus on installing
from CD.

The problem I have now is "xe cd-list" isn't detecting my cd drive. I can mount
the drive manually and get to it just fine but no matter what I do the "xe
cd-list" command returns nothing.

A couple of days ago I was having a similar issue with templates where "xe
template-list" never returned anything and I figured out how to regenerate the
templates. Could there be something similar with the cd drive?

Thanks!

dbhout at sequenciainc

Re: device disappeared from xenstore [In reply to]

Jon,

I've attached a snippet from my syslog.

My current status is I reinstalled again and this time tried to install an
ubuntu vm using the instructions here
(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Installing_Linux_on_Kronos
<http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Installing_Linux_on_Kronos> )

I get the same error:
the device disappeared from xenstore (frontend (domid=1 | kind=vbd |
devid=51712); backend (domid=0 | kind=vbd | devid=51712)) ]

In the syslog you'll see some other errors:

May 2 13:27:51 kronos xapi: [ info|kronos|0 thread_zero||watchdog] (Re)starting
xapi...
May 2 13:27:51 kronos xapi: [ warn|kronos|0 thread_zero|server_init
D:2539aa6797cb|startup] task [Checking control domain] exception:
Xenctrl.Error("Unable to open XC interface")
May 2 13:27:51 kronos xapi: [error|kronos|0 thread_zero||xapi] Caught exception
at toplevel: 'Xenctrl.Error("Unable to open XC interface")'
May 2 13:27:51 kronos xcp-fe: 2810 (/usr/sbin/xapi -nowatchdog -writereadyfile
/var/run/xapi_startup.cookie -writ...) exitted with code 2

I always get errors on startup. My process has been to log in and run
/usr/lib/xcp/bin/xe-toolstack-restart which seems to get all of the services
into a functional state.

I'm trying to persevere but I've been at this for a couple of weeks now and
nothing has worked. I don't doubt it's somehow my lack of understanding but I'm
not sure where to turn. Do you think my PC could somehow just not be
compatible? That sounds crazy to me but I'm grasping at straws. Or do some
people have better luck with Ubuntu than Debian?

Thanks,

Dave