Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

Unable to view squeeze graphical console

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

medhavini1991 at gmail

Unable to view squeeze graphical console

Hello everyone,

I have created a Debian Squeeze 32 bit VM. I can see the text console.
I have edited the gdm.conf file and added the required lines in
server section to configure VNC as per xen server virtual machine
installation documentation.
However I am unable to get a graphical console.(that button in
xencenter is still disabled)

Can anyone please help!!

Thank you in advance.

george.shuklin at gmail

Re: Unable to view squeeze graphical console [In reply to]

If you talking about XCP, see:

http://wiki.xensource.com/wiki/Xen_Cloud_Platform:_Access_to_VM_console

On 04.04.2012 13:30, Medhavini Buchade wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have created a Debian Squeeze 32 bit VM. I can see the text console.
> I have edited the gdm.conf file and added the required lines in
> server section to configure VNC as per xen server virtual machine
> installation documentation.
> However I am unable to get a graphical console.(that button in
> xencenter is still disabled)
>
> Can anyone please help!!
>
> Thank you in advance.

denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems

Re: Unable to view squeeze graphical console [In reply to]

Hi Medhavini,

> I have created a Debian Squeeze 32 bit VM. I can see the text console.
> I have edited the gdm.conf file and added the required lines in
> server section to configure VNC as per xen server virtual machine
> installation documentation.
> However I am unable to get a graphical console.(that button in
> xencenter is still disabled)
>
> Can anyone please help!!

did you install the vm through the debian template or with the cdrom on
a full virt template?

Stock Debian template gives you paravirtual VM, with no emulated graphic
card, so no graphic output in xencenter.

However, you can still install vnc/nx/x2go/xrdp server and have a
graphical access to your VM through the network.

Cheers,

Denis

> Thank you in advance.

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems
44 bvd des pas enchantés
44230 Saint Sébastien sur Loire
tel : +33 (0) 2.40.97.57.57
http://www.tranquil-it-systems.fr

medhavini1991 at gmail

Re: Unable to view squeeze graphical console [In reply to]

Hello
thank you for replying Denis.

I have installed Debian Squeeze using the template given by XCP and then
using network repository mirror.
Actually I had initially installed Debian Lenny using the same procedure. I
was also able to get the graphical console for it using steps given in
documentation (editing gdm.config, etc). But when I wanted to create a VM
of Lenny again I found that its removed from the repository. So I tried to
follow the same steps for Squeeze. But I was unable to get graphical
console.
Also one more weird thing that I observed is I couldn't find menu.lst in my
Squeeze. Is this normal (as I am doing this first time I really don't know
much) ?? I did not get any error during installation.

Thank you.

denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems

Re: Unable to view squeeze graphical console [In reply to]

Hi Medhavini,

> thank you for replying Denis.

you are welcome :-)

> I have installed Debian Squeeze using the template given by XCP and then
> using network repository mirror.

so that is a pv install.

> Actually I had initially installed Debian Lenny using the same
> procedure. I was also able to get the graphical console for it using
> steps given in documentation (editing gdm.config, etc). But when I
> wanted to create a VM of Lenny again I found that its removed from the
> repository. So I tried to follow the same steps for Squeeze. But I was
> unable to get graphical console.

if you still have the lenny vm around and urging for a graphical frame
buffer, you can export/import it on your new server.

The citrix template list is quite restrictive, but I guess it is the
template list with commercial support from citrix. You can install many
other non listed os without much hassle actually.

For the squeeze PV vm, you can convert it to HVM so you have a graphical
frame buffer. I think the following line should do it (you may also have
to set your hard drive to "bootable") :

xe vm-param-set HVM-boot-policy="BIOS order" uuid=<vm uuid>
xe vm-param-set PV-args="" uuid=<vm uuid>
xe vm-param-set PV-bootloader-args="" uuid=<vm uuid>

> Also one more weird thing that I observed is I couldn't find menu.lst in
> my Squeeze. Is this normal (as I am doing this first time I really don't
> know much) ?? I did not get any error during installation.

Grub 2?

Cheers,

Denis