Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lars.kurth at xen

Feb 14, 2012, 8:49 AM

Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8

Hi everybody,

the planning for the Xen Hackathon is starting to shape up. All the
logistics are in place and are shown on
wiki.xen.org/wiki/Hackathon/March2012 - the event starts at 9AM and
closes at 5PM. We will aim to have a social event most evenings

I would be good if the people who have signed up would let me know of:
- company they work for
- special dietary requirements (if applicable)
- T-shirt sizes
if not done yet.

People who have signed up as provisional, can you please update your
entry: if you know you will come remove provisional, if you don't please
remove yourself.

Also, it would be good if you could list the project/activity that you
want to work on to
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Hackathon/March2012#Topics_to_Discuss

I have made preparations to reach out to further groups in SIlicon
valley, and want to ensure that the core people are signed up before I
do this.

Best Regards
Lars

blp at nicira

Feb 14, 2012, 9:51 AM

Re: Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8 [In reply to]

Lars Kurth <lars.kurth [at] xen> writes:

> I have made preparations to reach out to further groups in SIlicon
> valley, and want to ensure that the core people are signed up before I
> do this.

Would it be helpful to have one of Nicira's Open vSwitch
developers come? (Is anyone interested in discussing
networking-related topics?) I've tentatively received permission
from management here to join for one or more days if it would be
useful. We're in Silicon Valley anyway so it doesn't require
much planning on our end.

Ian.Campbell at citrix

Feb 15, 2012, 8:38 AM

Re: [Xen-devel] Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8 [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 17:51 +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Lars Kurth <lars.kurth [at] xen> writes:
>
> > I have made preparations to reach out to further groups in SIlicon
> > valley, and want to ensure that the core people are signed up before I
> > do this.
>
> Would it be helpful to have one of Nicira's Open vSwitch
> developers come? (Is anyone interested in discussing
> networking-related topics?)

Hi Ben,

I think there will some xapi/XCP folks there who I expect would be
interested in talking networking and vswitch in that context.

In the context of xen-unstable and the libx/xl toolstacks there's not
much required for vswitch integration -- just a working hotplug script
mechanism and a suitable script. I actually have patches for the script
growing stale in my queue -- they don't work because of issues with
hotplug script running on shutdown (basically the xenstore info is gone
when the script runs so we can't remove the VIF from the switch). Roger
Pau Monee has a patch series fixing hotplug scripts and once it goes in
I'll resurrect my old patches.

Ian.

> I've tentatively received permission
> from management here to join for one or more days if it would be
> useful. We're in Silicon Valley anyway so it doesn't require
> much planning on our end.

lars.kurth.xen at gmail

Feb 16, 2012, 4:18 AM

Re: [Xen-devel] Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8 [In reply to]

Ben,

Mike told me that there are some issues with XCP and Open vSwitch 1.4,
where it would make sense to get Nicira and XCP guys into one room. In
particular using OpenvSwitch 1.4 with the XCP toolstack on Debian Sid and
Linux 3.2. The previous stable OVS release doesn't compile on Linux 3.2, so
unless 1.4 works out of the box, we won't have OVS support in XCP toolstack
on Ubuntu 12.04. That, plus maybe doing some early proof-of-concept work
with Zeus (XCP on Fedora) may also make sense.

Regards
Lars

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell [at] citrix>wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 17:51 +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Lars Kurth <lars.kurth [at] xen> writes:
> >
> > > I have made preparations to reach out to further groups in SIlicon
> > > valley, and want to ensure that the core people are signed up before I
> > > do this.
> >
> > Would it be helpful to have one of Nicira's Open vSwitch
> > developers come? (Is anyone interested in discussing
> > networking-related topics?)
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> I think there will some xapi/XCP folks there who I expect would be
> interested in talking networking and vswitch in that context.
>
> In the context of xen-unstable and the libx/xl toolstacks there's not
> much required for vswitch integration -- just a working hotplug script
> mechanism and a suitable script. I actually have patches for the script
> growing stale in my queue -- they don't work because of issues with
> hotplug script running on shutdown (basically the xenstore info is gone
> when the script runs so we can't remove the VIF from the switch). Roger
> Pau Monee has a patch series fixing hotplug scripts and once it goes in
> I'll resurrect my old patches.
>
> Ian.
>
> > I've tentatively received permission
> > from management here to join for one or more days if it would be
> > useful. We're in Silicon Valley anyway so it doesn't require
> > much planning on our end.

blp at nicira

Feb 16, 2012, 10:50 AM

Re: [Xen-devel] Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8 [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:38:39PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 17:51 +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Lars Kurth <lars.kurth [at] xen> writes:
> >
> > > I have made preparations to reach out to further groups in SIlicon
> > > valley, and want to ensure that the core people are signed up before I
> > > do this.
> >
> > Would it be helpful to have one of Nicira's Open vSwitch
> > developers come? (Is anyone interested in discussing
> > networking-related topics?)
>
> I think there will some xapi/XCP folks there who I expect would be
> interested in talking networking and vswitch in that context.

Thanks. I added my name to the wiki page. I'll plan to attend at
least the first day, and then additional days as it becomes
worthwhile.

> In the context of xen-unstable and the libx/xl toolstacks there's not
> much required for vswitch integration -- just a working hotplug script
> mechanism and a suitable script. I actually have patches for the script
> growing stale in my queue -- they don't work because of issues with
> hotplug script running on shutdown (basically the xenstore info is gone
> when the script runs so we can't remove the VIF from the switch). Roger
> Pau Monee has a patch series fixing hotplug scripts and once it goes in
> I'll resurrect my old patches.

Sounds good, thank you for the information.

blp at nicira

Feb 16, 2012, 10:58 AM

Re: [Xen-devel] Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8 [In reply to]

I hope that all of the OVS issues are being reported to us one way or
another, either via an OVS email list or the Debian bug tracking
system. Right now I only see one unresolved bug in the Debian BTS
(which should get fixed this week) so I wonder whether some have been
missed?

Certainly face-to-face discussion can be productive, so I look forward
to seeing everyone in a few weeks.