Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

Doubts regarding the VMs on XCP

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

medhavini1991 at gmail

Dec 23, 2011, 3:00 AM

Doubts regarding the VMs on XCP

Hello everyone,

I encountered some problems while working on XCP. Please suggest if I am
doing something wrong. I also need to clarify certain concepts as I am
using XCP for the first time.
[?]
1)
I was trying to install Debian Lenny 5.0 (32-bit). I did the following
steps:
xe vm-install template=...
xe vm-param-set uuid=... other-config:install-repository=
http://ftp.debian.org/debian
xe vm-start uuid=...

VM was created and it was in the running state. Then I did xe vm-shutdown
after which the VM entered the halted state.
I then did the following steps:
xe vm-start uuid=...
Error: Unable to find partition containing kernel
To remove the above error, I did the following step
xe vm-param-set uuid=... PV-bootloader=eliloader

xe vm-start uuid=...
Error code:INVALID_SOURCE
Error parameters:Unable to access a required file in the specified
repository:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/isolinux/vmlinuz

2)
In which state should the VMs be when we need to shutdown the server that
runs XCP?

3)
In which state should the VM be when it is not in use(Just like we shut
down our PCs when they are not in use and the data on the PC remains
intact.)?

Thank you.
Attachments: 328.png (0.56 KB)

Jonathan.Ludlam at eu

Dec 23, 2011, 1:28 PM

Re: Doubts regarding the VMs on XCP [In reply to]

Two things - the linux installers use either a cd image to install from or they use the network. By setting install-repository as you have implies a network install, and so for this to work your vm will need a vif (virtual network interface).

Secondly, installing from the linux templates is a bit like installing real Linux machines - you need to go through the install process, selecting what software to install, how to partition your disks etc. it sounds like what you've done is to effectively start the install procedure, then pull the plug. When you next try to start it, it's complaining quite rightly that you haven't got a kernel to boot from.

The best thing to do is to use a GUI (openxenmanager) to connect to the console after you've started the installation.

Jon

I encountered some problems while working on XCP. Please suggest if I am doing something wrong. I also need to clarify certain concepts as I am using XCP for the first time.
<328.png>
[...]

wawrzek.niewodniczanski at citrix

Jan 3, 2012, 2:27 AM

Re: Doubts regarding the VMs on XCP [In reply to]

On 12/23/11 11:00, Medhavini Buchade wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I encountered some problems while working on XCP.
[...]
> 1)
> I was trying to install Debian Lenny 5.0 (32-bit). I did the following
> steps:

Are you sure you want to install Lenny which is EOL this month?

For Debian installation you may want to try my python script using XenAPI:

https://github.com/wawrzek/XenDebian

Thanks,
Wawrzek
--

Wawrzyniec (Wawrzek) NiewodniczaƄski - 01223 435603 (35603) - wawrzekn
System Administrator - Engineering Services Team (XenServer)