Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

[XCP][BUG] minor glitch in opaqref data in xenstore

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

george.shuklin at gmail

Dec 21, 2011, 7:18 AM

[XCP][BUG] minor glitch in opaqref data in xenstore

Good day.

Found slightly strange behavior (not really a bug):

XCP 1.1
xapi not always clear /xapi/domid/private/vbd/(devicenum) after device
unplugging.

Steps to reproduce:

1. attach device 1 to VM,
2. detach it.
3. xenstore-ls /xapi/domid/private/vbd

Expected:
no data about unplugged vbd

Got:
the unplugged vbd OpaqueRef is still in xenstore.

scottz at wi

Dec 21, 2011, 12:45 PM

Re: [XCP][BUG] minor glitch in opaqref data in xenstore [In reply to]

I am re-installing XCP 1.1 via ISO and it looks like it can't find the
raid controller driver because it's listing all the drives individually.

Since I am not very familiar with the Linux side of Raid, do I need to
download the Linux driver (if there is even one available) and put it on
a floppy like Windows?

Motherboard = ASUS M5A97EVO
RAID Controller AMD SB950 chipset

Raid type = 1+0 *aka raid 10

On 12/21/11 9:18 AM, George Shuklin wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Found slightly strange behavior (not really a bug):
>
> XCP 1.1
> xapi not always clear /xapi/domid/private/vbd/(devicenum) after device
> unplugging.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. attach device 1 to VM,
> 2. detach it.
> 3. xenstore-ls /xapi/domid/private/vbd
>
> Expected:
> no data about unplugged vbd
>
> Got:
> the unplugged vbd OpaqueRef is still in xenstore.

dave.whitla at ocean

Dec 21, 2011, 3:23 PM

Re: [XCP][BUG] minor glitch in opaqref data in xenstore [In reply to]

Hi Scott,

Looks like a thread hijack - sorry George.

The onboard SB950 is what is known as a "fakeraid" chip. Because it isn't true hardware raid it doesn't present to the OS as a single device.
Don't waste your time trying to use the vendor-supplied linux driver for this chip - there are many problems with this approach, some of them listed here https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/ .
I don't know what support exists in the XCP installer for software raid, but it is possible to build a software raid set (RAID1 or mirrored) from an existing single disk provided you have two preferably identical SATA drives.
I suspect XCP does support md devices in the installer and its probably just a nomenclature issue and you didn't know what to look for.
If the XCP installer doesn't support sotware raid your best bet might be to install XCP on the first disk and then build the raid set after the fact.

This link should get you started https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/articles/s/a/t/SATA_RAID_Boot_Recipe_9dc2.html

When booting from a raid set you'll need to ensure the md_mod and raid1 (if thats what raid level you want) modules are loaded at boot time. They'll need to be present in your initramfs. GRUB has built in support for booting from software raid.

Dave