Mailing List Archive: Xen: API

XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC

Xen api RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

hemminger at hotmail

Oct 9, 2011, 9:37 AM

XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC

When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
"You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."

I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,
Corey

brooks at netgate

Nov 14, 2011, 7:20 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Are you using the xapi override hack?

http://new-wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenCenterXCP

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011, Corey Hemminger wrote:

> When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
> "You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."
>
> I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

hemminger at hotmail

Nov 14, 2011, 7:36 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Yes, Tried with and without currently set to 5.6.100.

Corey

On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:20 PM, brooks [at] netgate wrote:

> Are you using the xapi override hack?
>
> http://new-wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenCenterXCP
>
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011, Corey Hemminger wrote:
>
>> When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
>> "You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."
>>
>> I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?

brooks at netgate

Nov 14, 2011, 8:35 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Strange. What type of VM are you trying to install? I've installed CentOS 5 and 6 as well as Red Hat 6 both PV and HVM without any problems.

On Nov 14, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Corey Hemminger <hemminger [at] hotmail> wrote:

> Yes, Tried with and without currently set to 5.6.100.
>
> Corey
>
> On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:20 PM, brooks [at] netgate wrote:
>

>> Are you using the xapi override hack?
>>
>> http://new-wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenCenterXCP
>>
>> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011, Corey Hemminger wrote:
>>
>>> When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
>>> "You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."
>>>
>>> I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to fix this?

jordan at moodle

Nov 14, 2011, 9:27 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

XCP 1.1 is stable, you should not be using any RC versions
get the latest from http://xen.org/download/xcp/index_1.1.0.html

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Kevin Brooks <brooks [at] netgate> wrote:

> Strange. What type of VM are you trying to install? I've installed
> CentOS 5 and 6 as well as Red Hat 6 both PV and HVM without any problems.
>
> On Nov 14, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Corey Hemminger <hemminger [at] hotmail>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, Tried with and without currently set to 5.6.100.
> >
> > Corey
> >
> > On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:20 PM, brooks [at] netgate wrote:
> >

> >> Are you using the xapi override hack?
> >>
> >> http://new-wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenCenterXCP

> get an error:
> you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."

kevin at netgate

Nov 14, 2011, 9:42 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

XCP 1.1 final had no changes from RC, they are exactly the same. Could this have something to do with using local storage?

On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:27 PM, Jordan Tomkinson <jordan [at] moodle> wrote:

> XCP 1.1 is stable, you should not be using any RC versions
> get the latest from http://xen.org/download/xcp/index_1.1.0.html
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Kevin Brooks <brooks [at] netgate> wrote:
> Strange. What type of VM are you trying to install? I've installed CentOS 5 and 6 as well as Red Hat 6 both PV and HVM without any problems.
>
> On Nov 14, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Corey Hemminger <hemminger [at] hotmail> wrote:
>
> > Yes, Tried with and without currently set to 5.6.100.
> >
> > Corey
> >
> > On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:20 PM, brooks [at] netgate wrote:
> >

> >> Are you using the xapi override hack?
> >>
> >> http://new-wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenCenterXCP

jordan at moodle

Nov 14, 2011, 9:47 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

I'm using local storage with no problems creating vm's from redhat, ubuntu
& 'other media' templates in XenCenter

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Kevin Brooks <kevin [at] netgate> wrote:

> XCP 1.1 final had no changes from RC, they are exactly the same. Could
> this have something to do with using local storage?
>
> On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:27 PM, Jordan Tomkinson <jordan [at] moodle> wrote:
>
> XCP 1.1 is stable, you should not be using any RC versions
> get the latest from http://xen.org/download/xcp/index_1.1.0.html
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Kevin Brooks <brooks [at] netgate> wrote:
>
>> Strange. What type of VM are you trying to install? I've installed
>> CentOS 5 and 6 as well as Red Hat 6 both PV and HVM without any problems.
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Corey Hemminger <hemminger [at] hotmail>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, Tried with and without currently set to 5.6.100.
>> >
>> > Corey

>> get an error:
>> you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."

mike.mcclurg at citrix

Nov 15, 2011, 5:03 AM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

On 09/10/11 18:37, Corey Hemminger wrote:
> When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
> "You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."
>
> I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days. The problem here is that the
VM.suspend_SR field is new to the API, and isn't present in XCP 1.1. The
version of XenCenter you're using is for XenServer 6.0, which has the
new API field. Here is a mapping of XCP/XenServer version numbers:

XCP | XenServer | Codename
----------------------------------
1.0 | 5.6.1 "FP1" | Cowley
1.1 | 5.6.1 "SP2" | Oxford
1.5* | 6.0.0 | Boston
1.6* | 6.1.0* "SP1" | Tampa*

* Unreleased version; names and numbers may change

(Note to self: this should probably be on the wiki somewhere...)

I think that your best bet is to install the XenCenter that corresponds
to XenServer 5.6.1 SP2 and use that with XCP 1.1. Or you can use
OpenXenManager[1][2], though I admit that it's nowhere near as polished
as XenCenter.

Mike

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxenmanager/
[2] https://launchpad.net/~mike-mcclurg/+archive/openxenmanager

brooks at netgate

Nov 15, 2011, 8:19 AM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Mike,

Great matrix but I'm not sure I follow your logic since XenCenter 6 can
manage any version of XenServer, at least it appears to work fine for any
version from 4.1 through 6.0 as well as XCP 1.1, as long as you have
the xpi version override hack installed and have rebooted the toolstack on
your compute nodes. I use XenServer 6 to manage both XenServer 5.5 and
XCP 1.1 pools with no problems.

Here are a couple of references (I couldn't find anything on the Citrix
site, although I know I've seen it):

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/w/wiki/3071.aspx

Download XenCenter 5.6 and install it onto a suitable client machine. The
new version of XenCenter is suitable for managing older versions of
XenServer, and hence no functionality will be lost.

http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/tip/Installing-Citrix-XenServer-55-and-XenCenter

customer's XenCenter should support. By default, that will be XenCenter
5.5 only, which is compatible with all versions of XenServer from 4.1 on.
In case you want to manage older versions of XenServer as well, make sure
to also select XenServer 4.0.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Mike McClurg wrote:

> On 09/10/11 18:37, Corey Hemminger wrote:
>> When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
>> "You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."
>>
>> I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>

> Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days. The problem here is that the
> VM.suspend_SR field is new to the API, and isn't present in XCP 1.1. The
> version of XenCenter you're using is for XenServer 6.0, which has the
> new API field. Here is a mapping of XCP/XenServer version numbers:
>
> XCP | XenServer | Codename
> ----------------------------------
> 1.0 | 5.6.1 "FP1" | Cowley
> 1.1 | 5.6.1 "SP2" | Oxford
> 1.5* | 6.0.0 | Boston
> 1.6* | 6.1.0* "SP1" | Tampa*
>
> * Unreleased version; names and numbers may change
>
> (Note to self: this should probably be on the wiki somewhere...)
>
> I think that your best bet is to install the XenCenter that corresponds
> to XenServer 5.6.1 SP2 and use that with XCP 1.1. Or you can use
> OpenXenManager[1][2], though I admit that it's nowhere near as polished
> as XenCenter.

mike.mcclurg at citrix

Nov 15, 2011, 8:41 AM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

On 15/11/11 16:19, brooks [at] netgate wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Great matrix but I'm not sure I follow your logic since XenCenter 6 can
> manage any version of XenServer, at least it appears to work fine for any
> version from 4.1 through 6.0 as well as XCP 1.1, as long as you have
> the xpi version override hack installed and have rebooted the toolstack on
> your compute nodes. I use XenServer 6 to manage both XenServer 5.5 and
> XCP 1.1 pools with no problems.
>
> Here are a couple of references (I couldn't find anything on the Citrix
> site, although I know I've seen it):
>
> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/w/wiki/3071.aspx
>
> Download XenCenter 5.6 and install it onto a suitable client machine. The
> new version of XenCenter is suitable for managing older versions of
> XenServer, and hence no functionality will be lost.
>
> http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/tip/Installing-Citrix-XenServer-55-and-XenCenter
>
> customer's XenCenter should support. By default, that will be XenCenter
> 5.5 only, which is compatible with all versions of XenServer from 4.1 on.
> In case you want to manage older versions of XenServer as well, make sure
> to also select XenServer 4.0.

Unfortunately, when Citrix originally released XCP, they made no effort
to make sure that XenCenter worked with XCP. So while XenCenter works
well with previous versions of XenServer, it doesn't always work well
with XCP, and especially not previous versions of XCP. The
xapi_version_override hack does help, but I'm sure that there are some
cases where it won't.

The GUI team is working to fix some XenCenter/XCP integration issues for
their next release, and the XCP team is working to make versioning
between XCP and XenServer hosts a little more sane. So hopefully this
kind of thing will quietly go away in future releases.

Hope this explains what's going on a little better.

Mike

hemminger at hotmail

Nov 15, 2011, 9:16 AM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

I was trying to create both windows hvm and Linux pv, as well as the other hvm template for bsd but it errors out right before finishing and deletes all the work it did creating the vm. I switched back to xencenter for 5.6 sp2 and it all works fine. Just thought it was a weird bug and was curios if there was anyone else notice it or if it was a known bug with a work around.

Corey

On Nov 14, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Kevin Brooks <brooks [at] netgate> wrote:

> Strange. What type of VM are you trying to install? I've installed CentOS 5 and 6 as well as Red Hat 6 both PV and HVM without any problems.
>
> On Nov 14, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Corey Hemminger <hemminger [at] hotmail> wrote:
>
>> Yes, Tried with and without currently set to 5.6.100.
>>
>> Corey
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2011, at 9:20 PM, brooks [at] netgate wrote:
>>

>>> Are you using the xapi override hack?
>>>
>>> http://new-wiki.xen.org/wiki/XenCenterXCP

hemminger at hotmail

Nov 15, 2011, 9:23 AM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Thanks. That's exactly what I did. Thought there might be a work around to fix it. Would think xencenter 6.0 would be backward compatible.

Corey

On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:03 AM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg [at] citrix> wrote:

> On 09/10/11 18:37, Corey Hemminger wrote:
>> When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
>> "You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."
>>
>> I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>

> Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days. The problem here is that the
> VM.suspend_SR field is new to the API, and isn't present in XCP 1.1. The
> version of XenCenter you're using is for XenServer 6.0, which has the
> new API field. Here is a mapping of XCP/XenServer version numbers:
>
> XCP | XenServer | Codename
> ----------------------------------
> 1.0 | 5.6.1 "FP1" | Cowley
> 1.1 | 5.6.1 "SP2" | Oxford
> 1.5* | 6.0.0 | Boston
> 1.6* | 6.1.0* "SP1" | Tampa*
>
> * Unreleased version; names and numbers may change
>
> (Note to self: this should probably be on the wiki somewhere...)
>
> I think that your best bet is to install the XenCenter that corresponds
> to XenServer 5.6.1 SP2 and use that with XCP 1.1. Or you can use
> OpenXenManager[1][2], though I admit that it's nowhere near as polished
> as XenCenter.
>
> Mike
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxenmanager/
> [2] https://launchpad.net/~mike-mcclurg/+archive/openxenmanager

sr at swisscenter

Nov 15, 2011, 10:02 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Hi,

From my personal experience, XenCenter for 6.x works flawlessly with
XCP 1.1 as long as you fake the XCP version to 5.6.100.
Having a higher version like 5.9 or 6 cause the xencenter to try to
setup the VM.suspend_SR field when you create a VM and
that is not supported by XCP 1.1.

my current setup that works with latest XenCenter:

[root~]# cat /etc/xensource/xapi_version_override
5.6.100

I also stripped PRODUCT_BRAND from the xapi binary.
[root~]# /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/XCP/\ \ \ /g' /opt/xensource/bin/xapi

and set BUILD_NUMBER to 0 in /etc/xensource-inventory
BUILD_NUMBER='0'

result:

[root~]# xapi -version
hg_id=
hostname=kiffu-2
date=2011-09-19
PRODUCT_VERSION=5.6.100
PRODUCT_BRAND=
BUILD_NUMBER=0

If you try this, backup your xapi binary first, it's a dirty hack and I
dont want to be
responsible if you break anything :)

Cheers,
Sébastien
On 15.11.2011 18:23, Corey Hemminger wrote:
> Thanks. That's exactly what I did. Thought there might be a work around to fix it. Would think xencenter 6.0 would be backward compatible.
>
> Corey
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:03 AM, Mike McClurg<mike.mcclurg [at] citrix> wrote:
>
>> On 09/10/11 18:37, Corey Hemminger wrote:
>>> When trying to create new VM's using xencenter 6.0 the new release I get an error:
>>> "You tried to call a method that does not exist. The method name that you used is VM.set_suspend_SR."
>>>
>>> I'm using XCP 1.1 RC on a server with local storage for the VMs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>>
>> Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days. The problem here is that the
>> VM.suspend_SR field is new to the API, and isn't present in XCP 1.1. The
>> version of XenCenter you're using is for XenServer 6.0, which has the
>> new API field. Here is a mapping of XCP/XenServer version numbers:
>>
>> XCP | XenServer | Codename
>> ----------------------------------
>> 1.0 | 5.6.1 "FP1" | Cowley
>> 1.1 | 5.6.1 "SP2" | Oxford
>> 1.5* | 6.0.0 | Boston
>> 1.6* | 6.1.0* "SP1" | Tampa*
>>
>> * Unreleased version; names and numbers may change
>>
>> (Note to self: this should probably be on the wiki somewhere...)
>>
>> I think that your best bet is to install the XenCenter that corresponds
>> to XenServer 5.6.1 SP2 and use that with XCP 1.1. Or you can use
>> OpenXenManager[1][2], though I admit that it's nowhere near as polished
>> as XenCenter.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxenmanager/
>> [2] https://launchpad.net/~mike-mcclurg/+archive/openxenmanager

hemminger at hotmail

Nov 17, 2011, 5:18 PM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Your right sebastien. I double checked my API override setting and it was set at 5.6.199. That was causing the vm creation issue. Adjusted it to 5.6.100 and all is xen with the world and xencenter 6 works fine.

Corey

On Nov 16, 2011, at 12:02 AM, Sébastien Riccio <sr [at] swisscenter> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From my personal experience, XenCenter for 6.x works flawlessly with XCP 1.1 as long as you fake the XCP version to 5.6.100.
> Having a higher version like 5.9 or 6 cause the xencenter to try to setup the VM.suspend_SR field when you create a VM and
> that is not supported by XCP 1.1.
>
> my current setup that works with latest XenCenter:
>
> [root~]# cat /etc/xensource/xapi_version_override
> 5.6.100
>
> I also stripped PRODUCT_BRAND from the xapi binary.
> [root~]# /usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/XCP/\ \ \ /g' /opt/xensource/bin/xapi
>
> and set BUILD_NUMBER to 0 in /etc/xensource-inventory
> BUILD_NUMBER='0'
>
> result:
>
> [root~]# xapi -version
> hg_id=
> hostname=kiffu-2
> date=2011-09-19
> PRODUCT_VERSION=5.6.100
> PRODUCT_BRAND=
> BUILD_NUMBER=0
>
> If you try this, backup your xapi binary first, it's a dirty hack and I dont want to be
> responsible if you break anything :)
>
> Cheers,
> Sébastien
> On 15.11.2011 18:23, Corey Hemminger wrote:
>> Thanks. That's exactly what I did. Thought there might be a work around to fix it. Would think xencenter 6.0 would be backward compatible.
>>
>> Corey

>>> Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days. The problem here is that the
>>> VM.suspend_SR field is new to the API, and isn't present in XCP 1.1. The
>>> version of XenCenter you're using is for XenServer 6.0, which has the
>>> new API field. Here is a mapping of XCP/XenServer version numbers:
>>>
>>> XCP | XenServer | Codename
>>> ----------------------------------
>>> 1.0 | 5.6.1 "FP1" | Cowley
>>> 1.1 | 5.6.1 "SP2" | Oxford
>>> 1.5* | 6.0.0 | Boston
>>> 1.6* | 6.1.0* "SP1" | Tampa*
>>>
>>> * Unreleased version; names and numbers may change
>>>
>>> (Note to self: this should probably be on the wiki somewhere...)
>>>
>>> I think that your best bet is to install the XenCenter that corresponds
>>> to XenServer 5.6.1 SP2 and use that with XCP 1.1. Or you can use
>>> OpenXenManager[1][2], though I admit that it's nowhere near as polished
>>> as XenCenter.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxenmanager/
>>> [2] https://launchpad.net/~mike-mcclurg/+archive/openxenmanager

sr at swisscenter

Nov 18, 2011, 9:07 AM

Re: XenCenter 6.0 and XCP1.1 RC [In reply to]

Hi Corey,

Cool it worked. Thanks for the feedback.

Sébastien