HTTP 403 Errors

lastwebpage at gmail

Aug 25, 2006, 11:59 AM

HTTP 403 Errors

Hello,
very often we get a HTTP 403 (vorbidden) error in the wiki (1.7.1)
that occurs very often when the save button is clicked.
this happend randomly on different pages, but very often.
There are none restriction for the users.

Peter

--
Newsreader: http://mesnews.net/index-gb.php
Deutsche Hilfedatei: http://www.lastwebpage.de/download/mesnews-de.zip

robchur at gmail

Aug 25, 2006, 12:05 PM

Re: HTTP 403 Errors [In reply to]

On 25/08/06, Lastwebpage Peter Flindt <lastwebpage [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello,
> very often we get a HTTP 403 (vorbidden) error in the wiki (1.7.1)
> that occurs very often when the save button is clicked.
> this happend randomly on different pages, but very often.
> There are none restriction for the users.

Please include basic information about the operating environment,
including OS, web server software, PHP version, MySQL version, etc.

Does this affect one page, one or two pages, all pages, or is it
completely random? What extensions are installed? Does the text of the
error hint at the cause for the response? Are other aspects of the
wiki not working?

Rob Church

lastwebpage at gmail

Aug 25, 2006, 12:28 PM

Re: HTTP 403 Errors [In reply to]

> On 25/08/06, Lastwebpage Peter Flindt
> <lastwebpage [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> very often we get a HTTP 403 (vorbidden) error in the wiki (1.7.1)
>> that occurs very often when the save button is clicked.
>> this happend randomly on different pages, but very often.
>> There are none restriction for the users.

> Please include basic information about the operating environment,
> including OS, web server software, PHP version, MySQL version, etc.

> Does this affect one page, one or two pages, all pages, or is it
> completely random? What extensions are installed? Does the text of the
> error hint at the cause for the response? Are other aspects of the
> wiki not working?

> Rob Church
Hello,
MediaWiki: 1.7.1
PHP: 5.1.4-1.dotdeb.3 (cgi-fcgi)
MySQL: 5.0.22-Debian_1.dotdeb.1-log
Extensions: None

No it not happend on some specific pages, and I or the users cant find
any other mistakes.
1.Some user click on save and get this HTTP 403
2.Other users cant edit the same page too if this happend. (Normal
users,SysOp,Admins, no differents)
3.After a undefined period of time 30min-2 hours or longer, sorry it
seems to me that is not an exactly time period. The page can edit
again.

Peter

--
Newsreader: http://mesnews.net/index-gb.php
Deutsche Hilfedatei: http://www.lastwebpage.de/download/mesnews-de.zip

robchur at gmail

Aug 25, 2006, 12:51 PM

Re: HTTP 403 Errors [In reply to]

On 25/08/06, Lastwebpage Peter Flindt <lastwebpage [at] gmail> wrote:
> No it not happend on some specific pages, and I or the users cant find
> any other mistakes.
> 1.Some user click on save and get this HTTP 403
> 2.Other users cant edit the same page too if this happend. (Normal
> users,SysOp,Admins, no differents)
> 3.After a undefined period of time 30min-2 hours or longer, sorry it
> seems to me that is not an exactly time period. The page can edit
> again.

"A user hits edit, makes some changes, and attempts to save, but
receives an HTTP 403 Forbidden error. Subsequent attempts to edit the
page fail with the same error..."

Is the description above more or less correct? If not, do the
subsequent attempts to fail also fail when saving, or is the error
being produced when the editor is first accessed?

Rob Church

lastwebpage at gmail

Aug 25, 2006, 1:06 PM

Re: HTTP 403 Errors [In reply to]

> On 25/08/06, Lastwebpage Peter Flindt
> <lastwebpage [at] gmail> wrote:
>> No it not happend on some specific pages, and I or the users cant find
>> any other mistakes.
>> 1.Some user click on save and get this HTTP 403
>> 2.Other users cant edit the same page too if this happend. (Normal
>> users,SysOp,Admins, no differents)
>> 3.After a undefined period of time 30min-2 hours or longer, sorry it
>> seems to me that is not an exactly time period. The page can edit
>> again.

> "A user hits edit, makes some changes, and attempts to save, but
> receives an HTTP 403 Forbidden error. Subsequent attempts to edit the
> page fail with the same error..."

> Is the description above more or less correct? If not, do the
> subsequent attempts to fail also fail when saving, or is the error
> being produced when the editor is first accessed?

> Rob Church

Subsequent attempts to edit and save the page fails. Open the page to
edit is possible, but save fails on subsequent attemps.

Peter

--
Newsreader: http://mesnews.net/index-gb.php
Deutsche Hilfedatei: http://www.lastwebpage.de/download/mesnews-de.zip

robchur at gmail

Aug 25, 2006, 1:13 PM

Re: HTTP 403 Errors [In reply to]

On 25/08/06, Lastwebpage Peter Flindt <lastwebpage [at] gmail> wrote:
> Subsequent attempts to edit and save the page fails. Open the page to
> edit is possible, but save fails on subsequent attemps.

I've heard something quite similar to this before, once or twice. The
problem turned out to be use of mod_security, and certain key phrases
in the saved text; the module was detecting them as false positives,
thought that some l33t script kiddie was trying it on, and closed
ranks with a swift 403...

...could this be happening here?

Rob Church

lastwebpage at gmail

Aug 25, 2006, 2:09 PM

Re: HTTP 403 Errors [In reply to]

> On 25/08/06, Lastwebpage Peter Flindt
> <lastwebpage [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Subsequent attempts to edit and save the page fails. Open the page to
>> edit is possible, but save fails on subsequent attemps.

> I've heard something quite similar to this before, once or twice. The
> problem turned out to be use of mod_security, and certain key phrases
> in the saved text; the module was detecting them as false positives,
> thought that some l33t script kiddie was trying it on, and closed
> ranks with a swift 403...

> ...could this be happening here?

> Rob Church

Thanks for this tip with the mod_security, yes that could be the
reason.
Unfortunately we have no directly acces to the server configs and its
weekend so we cant contact the admin at the moment, therefore I can
give you a feedback if this was the reason soonest in the middle of the
next week. ;-)

regards
Peter

--
Newsreader: http://mesnews.net/index-gb.php
Deutsche Hilfedatei: http://www.lastwebpage.de/download/mesnews-de.zip

robchur at gmail

Aug 26, 2006, 7:09 AM

Re: HTTP 403 Errors [In reply to]

On 25/08/06, Lastwebpage Peter Flindt <lastwebpage [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks for this tip with the mod_security, yes that could be the
> reason.
> Unfortunately we have no directly acces to the server configs and its
> weekend so we cant contact the admin at the moment, therefore I can
> give you a feedback if this was the reason soonest in the middle of the
> next week. ;-)

Woo. :) It's one possible problem; of course, holler if it isn't.

Rob Church