GSoC coding starts officially today! (was Re: GSoC Mentor Summit)

qgil at wikimedia

Jun 17, 2013, 4:08 PM

On 06/13/2013 01:07 PM, Quim Gil wrote:
> Dear GSoC mentors:
>
> Here is a heads up about the GSoC Mentor Summit:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Mentorship_programs/Possible_mentors#GSoC_Mentor_Summit

Nobody signed up? I'm sure we can fill the 2 seats only with WMF
employees based in San Francisco, but...

Anyway, since today the GSoC bonding period is officially over and
everybody should have started working on development tasks. Is this the
case?

> With an implicit heads up for the completion of the community bonding
> period:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2013#Community_bonding_period
>
> So far Aarti, Molly, Moriel and Pragun have marked this first milestone
> as completed: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2013#Projects

According to the GSoC table there are 8 out 20 students that haven't
completed the bonding period yet. Is it just about updating the table or
is there more? If you start letting things slip now it will be more
difficult to catch up as weeks pass.

We will have a GSoC/OPW IRC AllHands next week. Tentative:

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 15:00 UTC (8:30pm IST, 8am PDT)
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130626T08&p1=224&ah=1

In addition to this, I will meet all the student/mentors teams one by
one via videoconference.

Happy coding!

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

qgil at wikimedia

Jun 19, 2013, 3:35 PM

Re: GSoC coding starts officially today! (was Re: GSoC Mentor Summit) [In reply to]

Hi, I'm hoping to finish the blog post about GSoC / OPW this week. I'm
drafting it at

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog/Drafts/GSoC_OPW_fake_title#Yevheniy_.28Chernihiv.29_-_Improvement_of_Glossary_tools

I started with the excerpts of the students user pages, so you have
more time to look at them and edit at well. These are your words, I
just cut the quotes to similar, short sizes trying to leave the
essence and an attitude...

Every entry will have also a mention to the mentors, linking to their
user pages as in
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_mentors

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Quim Gil <qgil [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Mentorship_programs/Possible_mentors#GSoC_Mentor_Summit
>

> Nobody signed up?

Ok, at least someone did. Just to make sure the circumstances are
lcear: this is a great event, travel and accommodation is sponsored
and hundreds of mentors out there wish to be invited.

> Anyway, since today the GSoC bonding period is officially over and everybody
> should have started working on development tasks. Is this the case?

I have sent a ping to the 4 teams that haven't added a "Bonding: OK"
tag to the table yet. Hopefully the only problem is that they forgot
to edit the table and all the rest is fine, with their projects
started and well focused.

>> With an implicit heads up for the completion of the community bonding
>> period:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2013#Community_bonding_period

> We will have a GSoC/OPW IRC AllHands next week. CONFIRMED
>
> Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 15:00 UTC (8:30pm IST, 8am PDT)
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130626T08&p1=224&ah=1

This is now confirmed and I will send a proper invitation to all
students and mentors.