Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer

tchay at wikimedia

Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer

Hello everyone,

It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Erik Bernhardson has joined the Wikimedia Foundation as a Features Engineer.

Before joining us, Erik was a web developer and operational jack-of-all-trades at Cite Media/Maverick Media which is a custom Symfony2 CRM working on “what the internet is for”[1]. There he worked on MySQL, Redis, Graylog2, ElasticSearch, Nginx w/PHP-FPM integration, phpUnderControl and capifony. He integrated dozens of different payment processors (shh… don’t tell FR-tech) and automated micro-site rollout for the clients using PHP integration into Chef.

Six years ago, he became a PHP developer when he found out, while hacking his DVR that it had a PHP-based webserver. He still likes to do a lot of open-source work[2], and we found him because he was patching HipHop to add namespace support.

His first official day is today (April 22). He is going to work with the Editor Engagement team on Messaging, and any other stuff we can throw at him until he feels sufficiently overwhelmed. I’m still trying to figure out how to verbally distinguish between my boss and him (suggestions welcome!).

Erik lives in Campbell, CA, but is strangely okay with commuting to San Francisco all the time. He likes to drive his motorcycle down to Monterrey on weekends.

Please join me in a welcoming Erik to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)

Take care,
Terry

[1]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEjvCRPrCo
[2]: https://github.com/ebernhardson

terry chay 최태리
Director of Features Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation
“Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”

p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
m: +1 (408) 480-8902
e: tchay [at] wikimedia
i: http://terrychay.com/
w: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tychay
aim: terrychay

mflaschen at wikimedia

Re: Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

On 04/22/2013 07:00 PM, Terry Chay wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Erik Bernhardson has
> joined the Wikimedia Foundation as a Features Engineer.

Welcome! You've got a really interesting background and I look forward
to working with you.

Matt Flaschen

jeremy at tuxmachine

Re: Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> His first official day is today (April 22). He is going to work with the Editor Engagement team on Messaging, and any other stuff we can throw at him until he feels sufficiently overwhelmed. I’m still trying to figure out how to verbally distinguish between my boss and him (suggestions welcome!).

What do you do with Erik Zachte?

> Please join me in a welcoming Erik to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)

Welcome!

-Jeremy

khorn at wikimedia

Re: Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

Hmm... "integrated dozens of different payment processors (shh… don’t tell
FR-tech)", you say?
/me nonchalantly checks to see if Amazon sells comically large butterfly
nets

Welcome! :)

-Katie
Fundraising Tech Lead

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > His first official day is today (April 22). He is going to work with the
> Editor Engagement team on Messaging, and any other stuff we can throw at
> him until he feels sufficiently overwhelmed. I’m still trying to figure out
> how to verbally distinguish between my boss and him (suggestions welcome!).
>
> What do you do with Erik Zachte?
>
> > Please join me in a welcoming Erik to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)
>
> Welcome!
>
> -Jeremy

jforrester at wikimedia

Re: [Wmfall] Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

Welcome, Erik - great to have you here!

As a naming system that's helpful when people have common forenames
beginning with a vowel, you can always use <first initial of
at a previous workplace of mine. ;-)

J. (Blessed with a name that doesn't start with a vowel, at least in English.)

On 22 April 2013 16:00, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Erik Bernhardson has
> joined the Wikimedia Foundation as a Features Engineer.
>
> Before joining us, Erik was a web developer and operational
> jack-of-all-trades at Cite Media/Maverick Media which is a custom Symfony2
> CRM working on “what the internet is for”[1]. There he worked on MySQL,
> Redis, Graylog2, ElasticSearch, Nginx w/PHP-FPM integration, phpUnderControl
> and capifony. He integrated dozens of different payment processors (shh…
> don’t tell FR-tech) and automated micro-site rollout for the clients using
> PHP integration into Chef.
>
> Six years ago, he became a PHP developer when he found out, while hacking
> his DVR that it had a PHP-based webserver. He still likes to do a lot of
> open-source work[2], and we found him because he was patching HipHop to add
> namespace support.
>
> His first official day is today (April 22). He is going to work with the
> Editor Engagement team on Messaging, and any other stuff we can throw at him
> until he feels sufficiently overwhelmed. I’m still trying to figure out how
> to verbally distinguish between my boss and him (suggestions welcome!).
>
> Erik lives in Campbell, CA, but is strangely okay with commuting to San
> Francisco all the time. He likes to drive his motorcycle down to Monterrey
> on weekends.
>
> Please join me in a welcoming Erik to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)
>
> Take care,
> Terry
>
> [1]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEjvCRPrCo
> [2]: https://github.com/ebernhardson
>
> terry chay 최태리
> Director of Features Engineering
> Wikimedia Foundation
> “Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”
>
> p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
> m: +1 (408) 480-8902
> e: tchay [at] wikimedia
> i: http://terrychay.com/
> w: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tychay
> aim: terrychay

James D. Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

jforrester [at] wikimedia | @jdforrester

pbeaudette at wikimedia

Re: [Wmfall] Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

They do, Katie. Have you forgotten how we got you? :-)

—————————
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc

Hmm... "integrated dozens of different payment processors (shh… don’t tell
FR-tech)", you say?
/me nonchalantly checks to see if Amazon sells comically large butterfly
nets

Welcome! :)

-Katie
Fundraising Tech Lead

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy [at] tuxmachine>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > His first official day is today (April 22). He is going to work with the
> Editor Engagement team on Messaging, and any other stuff we can throw at
> him until he feels sufficiently overwhelmed. I’m still trying to figure out
> how to verbally distinguish between my boss and him (suggestions welcome!).
>
> What do you do with Erik Zachte?
>
> > Please join me in a welcoming Erik to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)
>
> Welcome!
>
> -Jeremy

p858snake at gmail

Re: Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> His first official day is today (April 22). He is going to work with the Editor Engagement team on Messaging, and any other stuff we can throw at him until he feels sufficiently overwhelmed. I’m still trying to figure out how to verbally distinguish between my boss and him (suggestions welcome!).

Does it have to verbally? I recommend some sort of crazy hat setup,
and the other staff members can choose the hats each day?

One day someone might choose a Sombrero, the next day someone might
choose [something cool] like a Fez

sumanah at wikimedia

Re: [Wmfall] Announcement: Erik Bernhardson joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

> Before joining us, Erik was a web developer and operational jack-of-all-trades at Cite Media/Maverick Media which is a custom Symfony2 CRM working on “what the internet is for”[1]. There he worked on MySQL, Redis, Graylog2, ElasticSearch, Nginx w/PHP-FPM integration, phpUnderControl and capifony. He integrated dozens of different payment processors (shh… don’t tell FR-tech) and automated micro-site rollout for the clients using PHP integration into Chef.
>
> Six years ago, he became a PHP developer when he found out, while hacking his DVR that it had a PHP-based webserver. He still likes to do a lot of open-source work[2], and we found him because he was patching HipHop to add namespace support.

Welcome! I look forward to seeing Bernhardson's addition to whatever
parts of https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developers/Maintainers he feels
comfortable with. :-)

Given that he is a HipHop contributor, maybe we could call him "MC
Erik"? ;-)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager