GSoC: accepted! Mentors: apply, please

qgil at wikimedia

GSoC: accepted! Mentors: apply, please

It's official! Today Wikimedia has been accepted into Google Summer of
Code together with other 176 organizations:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/wikimedia

The next step in the process is to get the mentors registered.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_mentors

Which means that if you were still considering mentoring then yes, you
still have time to join us. Hurry up! The list of project ideas is
(imho) pretty impressive, and we have just started receiving more ideas
from students interested in spending the Summer with us.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

sumanah at wikimedia

Re: GSoC: accepted! Mentors: apply, please [In reply to]

On 04/08/2013 07:40 PM, Quim Gil wrote:
> It's official! Today Wikimedia has been accepted into Google Summer of
> Code together with other 176 organizations:

Thank you, Quim! I'm glad you're able to take over administering our
GSoC this year and that we are (in my opinion) on our way to a
fulfilling Summer of Code.

Also: Wikimedia uses lots of open source software, and I hope we will
benefit from GSoC students' work on Debian, LibreOffice, Nmap, OWASP,
Python, Linux, WordPress, and more. Through GSoC I've learned of other
FLOSS projects I hadn't heard of before, such as Swathanthra Malayalam
Computing https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/smc
which works on Malayalam-related software internationalisation. So, yay
for new contributors to our larger community as well.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

asharma at wikimedia

Re: GSoC: accepted! Mentors: apply, please [In reply to]

Sumana,

SMC is one of the oldest open source projects from India focused on improving Indic language computing. Also Santhosh Thottingal of Wikimedia's I18n team is one of the founding members of SMC :-)

Looking forward to a great GDoC summer ahead!

Alolita

__
Alolita Sharma
Wikimedia Foundation