Work starting on the 1.21 release candidates and announcement

mah at everybody

Mar 25, 2013, 11:44 AM

On 03/25/2013 01:39 PM, Greg Grossmeier wrote:
> == Release Announcement (for X.XX releases) ==
>
> Audience: Third-parties, mostly. This would be blogged, mailed out to
> the widest number of applicable lists, etc.
>
> Contents:
> * "Yay, we accomplished something big" type messaging.
> * Probably just the short list of new features and breaking changes.
> * A link to the "full release notes" (above), which is mirrored on a
> mediawiki.org page instead of pointing people to a gerrit URL.

Serendipitously, I'd like to start making RC releases this weekend. To
that end, could those of you who are interested in helping out with the
Release announcement look over
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21 and fill in those sections
that are marked "FIX"?

Under "What's new?" there are currently the following sections, each of
which needs some love:

1.1 Skins
1.2 ContentHandler
1.3 High-resolution image support
1.4 Ajax patrolling
1.5 Internationalization: gender neutrality and other
1.6 New accounts
1.7 Account creation welcome
1.8 Other
1.9 Password Recovery system uses Tokens
1.10 Wikitext now supported in JavaScript messages
1.11 Several minor HTML changes
1.12 Extended collation support
1.13 Bundled extensions

If you had a hand in any of this work, please look over that page so it
is ready for an announcement.

If you are just learning about these changes, please make sure it
clearly describes what has changed.

--
http://hexmode.com/

[We are] immortal ... because [we have] a soul, a spirit capable of
compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
-- William Faulker, Nobel Prize acceptance speech

tylerromeo at gmail

Mar 25, 2013, 11:47 AM

Re: Work starting on the 1.21 release candidates and announcement [In reply to]

For mine (1.9), it's ready, but just needs to be CRed and merged before it
gets merge conflicted yet again.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science
www.whizkidztech.com | tylerromeo [at] gmail

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah [at] everybody>wrote:

> On 03/25/2013 01:39 PM, Greg Grossmeier wrote:
> > == Release Announcement (for X.XX releases) ==
> >
> > Audience: Third-parties, mostly. This would be blogged, mailed out to
> > the widest number of applicable lists, etc.
> >
> > Contents:
> > * "Yay, we accomplished something big" type messaging.
> > * Probably just the short list of new features and breaking changes.
> > * A link to the "full release notes" (above), which is mirrored on a
> > mediawiki.org page instead of pointing people to a gerrit URL.
>

> Serendipitously, I'd like to start making RC releases this weekend. To
> that end, could those of you who are interested in helping out with the
> Release announcement look over
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21 and fill in those sections
> that are marked "FIX"?
>
> Under "What's new?" there are currently the following sections, each of
> which needs some love:
>
> 1.1 Skins
> 1.2 ContentHandler
> 1.3 High-resolution image support
> 1.4 Ajax patrolling
> 1.5 Internationalization: gender neutrality and other
> 1.6 New accounts
> 1.7 Account creation welcome
> 1.8 Other
> 1.9 Password Recovery system uses Tokens
> 1.10 Wikitext now supported in JavaScript messages
> 1.11 Several minor HTML changes
> 1.12 Extended collation support
> 1.13 Bundled extensions
>
> If you had a hand in any of this work, please look over that page so it
> is ready for an announcement.
>
> If you are just learning about these changes, please make sure it
> clearly describes what has changed.
>
> --
> http://hexmode.com/
>
> [We are] immortal ... because [we have] a soul, a spirit capable of
> compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
> -- William Faulker, Nobel Prize acceptance speech

matma.rex at gmail

Mar 25, 2013, 1:03 PM

Re: Work starting on the 1.21 release candidates and announcement [In reply to]

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:44:20 +0100, Mark A. Hershberger <mah [at] everybody> wrote:

> 1.1 Skins

This one's mine; I expanded the comment a little.

There were plans to remove the legacy skins in 1.21 (see https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/25170/). These seem to have ultimately failed (see discussion on the changeset).

(Not mine) https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/41196/ - needs "someone who's firm with memcached and DB performance" to take a look. That should probably be a WMF someone, and there's apparently nobody willing to do that.

These are all mine as well. The two outstanding patchsets (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#q,I4ecd0659,n,z and https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#q,I6a6c12a9,n,z) are blocked by there being nobody willing to review them, even though I've been repeatedly told people care at least about the second one.

> 1.12 Extended collation support

Yet another entry of mine. The number of languages being actually supported is in flux right now, as some minor issues were discovered (and fixed) with a few of them when deploying on WMF wikis, and I suspect similar ones might lurk around the corner in the untested ones; I'd say about a dozen are currently fully supported, and the rest should mostly work, but no promises.

I'll update the entry and the config variable docs once I know exactly what's the status.

The quality of this feature would probably greatly improve if https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/55503/ was merged before the release, though.

--
Matma Rex