Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others

robla at wikimedia

Feb 15, 2013, 12:33 PM

Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others

Hi everyone,

We're planning to deploy Lua to a long list of wikis on Monday,
February 18, 23:00-01:00 UTC (stretching into Tuesday UTC), including
English Wikipedia.

Details here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Lua

Jan Kučera (User:Kozuch) has placed notifications on many of the
wikis. Those notifications and general communications listed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kozuch/Lua

This is a really exciting deployment for the projects. We're really
looking forward to seeing the great things that people do with this,
and looking forward to making editing and previewing more responsive
for template-heavy pages.

Rob

wikiposta at gmail

Feb 15, 2013, 12:40 PM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

Hi Rob,

this is really great and exciting and we were long waiting for this day.
Let's rock! :-)

--
Bináris

mflaschen at wikimedia

Feb 15, 2013, 6:32 PM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On 02/15/2013 03:33 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're planning to deploy Lua to a long list of wikis on Monday,
> February 18, 23:00-01:00 UTC (stretching into Tuesday UTC), including
> English Wikipedia.
>
> Details here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Lua

This is A Big Deal. Congratulations to the whole team!

Matt Flaschen

tstarling at wikimedia

Feb 17, 2013, 10:56 PM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On 16/02/13 07:55, Steven Walling wrote:
> I didn't see it in the docs above, so thought I'd ask... Is this going
> to include rollout of the CodeEditor extension, or will that be done
> separately?

CodeEditor will be enabled, but with $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = false,
i.e. in the Module namespace only, not in the MediaWiki namespace.
This is the same way we deployed it to mediawiki.org

As I said to Ori when he asked me about this: I'm fine with it being
deployed with $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = true, I just don't want to
have to project manage it, since large JS apps are not the sort of
thing I usually do. With $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = true, it's a fairly
disruptive extension, so it would be good to have someone handling
community notifications and bug reports.

> This is exciting! Do we have plans for further measurement when it
> comes to Lua's impact on page load times/publishing any results so
> far? In addition to the general benefit of not having to program using
> wikitext/parser functions, I seem to remember the performance
> improvements being the big selling point of Scribunto.

It will be possible to gather some retrospective data from slow-parse.log.

-- Tim Starling

raylton.sousa at gmail

Feb 18, 2013, 2:18 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

You could activate also in pt.wikibooks.org?
We made a script that is already functional and it would be very useful
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Module:Nav

2013/2/18 Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia>

> On 16/02/13 07:55, Steven Walling wrote:
> > I didn't see it in the docs above, so thought I'd ask... Is this going
> > to include rollout of the CodeEditor extension, or will that be done
> > separately?
>
> CodeEditor will be enabled, but with $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = false,
> i.e. in the Module namespace only, not in the MediaWiki namespace.
> This is the same way we deployed it to mediawiki.org
>
> As I said to Ori when he asked me about this: I'm fine with it being
> deployed with $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = true, I just don't want to
> have to project manage it, since large JS apps are not the sort of
> thing I usually do. With $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = true, it's a fairly
> disruptive extension, so it would be good to have someone handling
> community notifications and bug reports.
>
> > This is exciting! Do we have plans for further measurement when it
> > comes to Lua's impact on page load times/publishing any results so
> > far? In addition to the general benefit of not having to program using
> > wikitext/parser functions, I seem to remember the performance
> > improvements being the big selling point of Scribunto.
>
> It will be possible to gather some retrospective data from slow-parse.log.
>
> -- Tim Starling

tstarling at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 4:06 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On 17/02/13 00:44, Luca Martinelli wrote:
> As of now, we write templates and we put data into them, article by
> article - but this is going to change during 2013, with the
> implementation of Wikidata, since we'll put data in the common repo
> and then just call them on local projects.
>
> Is this new prog language going to affect this? I mean, will it help
> us to write new templates which will call those data more easily?

I believe that some members of the Wikidata team are interested in
allowing Lua modules to fetch data directly from Wikidata. We have
added a couple of hooks to Scribunto to support this, but the library
hasn't been designed or implemented yet, as far as I can tell.

-- Tim Starling

jens.ohlig at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 4:15 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

Am 18.02.2013 um 13:06 schrieb Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia>:

> On 17/02/13 00:44, Luca Martinelli wrote:
>> As of now, we write templates and we put data into them, article by
>> article - but this is going to change during 2013, with the
>> implementation of Wikidata, since we'll put data in the common repo
>> and then just call them on local projects.
>>
>> Is this new prog language going to affect this? I mean, will it help
>> us to write new templates which will call those data more easily?
>
> I believe that some members of the Wikidata team are interested in
> allowing Lua modules to fetch data directly from Wikidata. We have
> added a couple of hooks to Scribunto to support this, but the library
> hasn't been designed or implemented yet, as far as I can tell.

It is in the works and I would love if you find the time to review it once it's up on Gerrit (which should happen this week).

Lua scripting is indeed a big deal for us at Wikidata — structured data from Wikidata is available as JSON which can be thrown around and iterated over as Lua tables. This has the potential to unleash some niftyness in Wikidata-based Infobox templates.

--
Jens Ohlig
Software developer Wikidata project

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

lydia.pintscher at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 4:20 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Jens Ohlig <jens.ohlig [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> It is in the works and I would love if you find the time to review it once it's up on Gerrit (which should happen this week).
>
> Lua scripting is indeed a big deal for us at Wikidata — structured data from Wikidata is available as JSON which can be thrown around and iterated over as Lua tables. This has the potential to unleash some niftyness in Wikidata-based Infobox templates.

To expand on what Jens said: There'll be two main ways to include
Wikidata's data in Wikipedia articles. For the simple ones there'll be
a template-like syntax and for the more complex things Lua will be the
way to get it. The syntax for the former is at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/Inclusion_syntax_v0.2

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

lydia.pintscher at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 4:23 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Lydia Pintscher
<lydia.pintscher [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Jens Ohlig <jens.ohlig [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> It is in the works and I would love if you find the time to review it once it's up on Gerrit (which should happen this week).
>>
>> Lua scripting is indeed a big deal for us at Wikidata — structured data from Wikidata is available as JSON which can be thrown around and iterated over as Lua tables. This has the potential to unleash some niftyness in Wikidata-based Infobox templates.
>
> To expand on what Jens said: There'll be two main ways to include
> Wikidata's data in Wikipedia articles. For the simple ones there'll be
> a template-like syntax and for the more complex things Lua will be the
> way to get it. The syntax for the former is at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/Inclusion_syntax_v0.2

Sorry current version is at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/Inclusion_syntax

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

yuriastrakhan at gmail

Feb 18, 2013, 4:24 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

How useful would it be for Lua to access to the query/content/parser API be?

I am suspecting there could be a lot of creative usages of this, including
getting data from the wikidata (which won't have to do anything special to
enable this)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Jens Ohlig <jens.ohlig [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Am 18.02.2013 um 13:06 schrieb Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia>:
>
> > On 17/02/13 00:44, Luca Martinelli wrote:
> >> As of now, we write templates and we put data into them, article by
> >> article - but this is going to change during 2013, with the
> >> implementation of Wikidata, since we'll put data in the common repo
> >> and then just call them on local projects.
> >>
> >> Is this new prog language going to affect this? I mean, will it help
> >> us to write new templates which will call those data more easily?
> >
> > I believe that some members of the Wikidata team are interested in
> > allowing Lua modules to fetch data directly from Wikidata. We have
> > added a couple of hooks to Scribunto to support this, but the library
> > hasn't been designed or implemented yet, as far as I can tell.
>

> It is in the works and I would love if you find the time to review it once
> it's up on Gerrit (which should happen this week).
>
> Lua scripting is indeed a big deal for us at Wikidata — structured data
> from Wikidata is available as JSON which can be thrown around and iterated
> over as Lua tables. This has the potential to unleash some niftyness in
> Wikidata-based Infobox templates.
>
> --
> Jens Ohlig
> Software developer Wikidata project
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Obentrautstr. 72
> 10963 Berlin
> www.wikimedia.de

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

denny.vrandecic at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 4:26 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

For later.
As discussed before, access via HTTP is probably hardly an option for the
Wikimedia wikis (and they are our priority), but for other wikis that will
be crucial.

Cheers,
Denny

2013/2/18 Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan [at] gmail>

> How useful would it be for Lua to access to the query/content/parser API
> be?
>
> I am suspecting there could be a lot of creative usages of this, including
> getting data from the wikidata (which won't have to do anything special to
> enable this)
>

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Jens Ohlig <jens.ohlig [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:

> > > I believe that some members of the Wikidata team are interested in
> > > allowing Lua modules to fetch data directly from Wikidata. We have
> > > added a couple of hooks to Scribunto to support this, but the library
> > > hasn't been designed or implemented yet, as far as I can tell.
> >

> > It is in the works and I would love if you find the time to review it
> once
> > it's up on Gerrit (which should happen this week).
> >
> > Lua scripting is indeed a big deal for us at Wikidata — structured data
> > from Wikidata is available as JSON which can be thrown around and
> iterated
> > over as Lua tables. This has the potential to unleash some niftyness in
> > Wikidata-based Infobox templates.
> >
> > --
> > Jens Ohlig
> > Software developer Wikidata project
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> > Obentrautstr. 72
> > 10963 Berlin
> > www.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> >
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> > unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> > Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

tstarling at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 4:29 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On 18/02/13 23:24, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> How useful would it be for Lua to access to the query/content/parser API be?
>
> I am suspecting there could be a lot of creative usages of this, including
> getting data from the wikidata (which won't have to do anything special to
> enable this)

If you provided full access to ApiQuery*, resource limiting would be
fairly difficult, since it provides lots of ways to do unlimited table
scanning regardless of result set size. As for the Wikidata
application -- the interface would be awkward compared to something
made specifically for interfacing Wikidata with Lua.

-- Tim Starling

yuriastrakhan at gmail

Feb 18, 2013, 4:48 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

Totally agree about the wikidata interface convenience, but I suspect it
might not cover all usages, in which case it will be a good way for users
to start implementing workarounds, and for us to notice the need and meet
it with new features.

I don't know enough about template performance impact, although I do hope
that a low-limit API call does not impact much more than a complex template
with many links/templates/categories. In any case, lets put this
on back-burner for later evaluation.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Tim Starling <tstarling [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> On 18/02/13 23:24, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> > How useful would it be for Lua to access to the query/content/parser API
> be?
> >
> > I am suspecting there could be a lot of creative usages of this,
> including
> > getting data from the wikidata (which won't have to do anything special
> > enable this)
>
> If you provided full access to ApiQuery*, resource limiting would be
> fairly difficult, since it provides lots of ways to do unlimited table
> scanning regardless of result set size. As for the Wikidata
> application -- the interface would be awkward compared to something
> made specifically for interfacing Wikidata with Lua.
>
> -- Tim Starling

ori at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 5:32 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
> On 16/02/13 07:55, Steven Walling wrote:
> > I didn't see it in the docs above, so thought I'd ask... Is this going
> > to include rollout of the CodeEditor extension, or will that be done
> > separately?
> >

> CodeEditor will be enabled, but with $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = false,
> i.e. in the Module namespace only, not in the MediaWiki namespace.
> This is the same way we deployed it to mediawiki.org (http://mediawiki.org)
>
> As I said to Ori when he asked me about this: I'm fine with it being
> deployed with $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = true, I just don't want to
> have to project manage it, since large JS apps are not the sort of
> thing I usually do. With $wgCodeEditorEnableCore = true, it's a fairly
> disruptive extension, so it would be good to have someone handling
> community notifications and bug reports.

I'm interested in seeing this through (= enabling CodeEditor on MediaWiki NS), but I need a bit more time with the extension first so I can size up how much ongoing work it will require. There's already a bug asking for it to be deployed: https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39654. I propose we (meaning anyone interested in this deployment, Tim exempted per above) track progress there.

> > This is exciting! Do we have plans for further measurement when it
> > comes to Lua's impact on page load times/publishing any results so
> > far? In addition to the general benefit of not having to program using
> > wikitext/parser functions, I seem to remember the performance
> > improvements being the big selling point of Scribunto.
> >

> It will be possible to gather some retrospective data from slow-parse.log.
To expand a little: slow-parse.log is a log file on fluorine (accessible to users with shell; the file is in /a/mw-log) that gets an entry every time an article takes more than three seconds to render. Each entry looks like this:

2013-02-18 12:55:18 mw1058 enwiki: 4.25 War_of_the_First_Coalition

The fields are (from left to right) current date, current time, host, wiki, rendering time, title.

We have six months' worth of logs, broken down by calendar day, in /a/mw-log/archive. The oldest is 2012-08-22. (we may have older files on tape backup). Log files are about 14-15 MB, gzipped. Six months' worth is 2.4 GB.

If this information were made more visible, it could give editors a palpable sense of accomplishment as expensive templates are ported to lua. I don't think the logs contain any sensitive data, so it should be doable to set up an rsync job to sync them to labs and thus make them available for people to analyze and visualize. Would anyone be interested in that? (I'm CCing the analytics list as well.)

As Rob notes, deployment of lua is not by itself expected to have an impact on rendering time; rather, it is the porting of templates to use it that will speed things up. The full picture will only emerge in the weeks / months + following deployment.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited about this. It's a big change. Congrats to all involved.

-Ori

bjorsch at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 6:57 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan [at] gmail> wrote:
> How useful would it be for Lua to access to the query/content/parser API be?
>
> I am suspecting there could be a lot of creative usages of this, including
> getting data from the wikidata (which won't have to do anything special to
> enable this)

Personally, I'd be extremely wary of allowing Lua (which is run in the
middle of the page parse, remember) to be issuing HTTP requests on WMF
sites. Especially after seeing how slow using ForeignAPIRepo for file
accesses makes my local test wiki.[1]

IMO it would be better for accesses to go through interfaces designed
for the access, where the back end for the interface can optimize and
cache and explicitly limit the access, instead of opening it up to
arbitrary API calls in the middle of the parse. This back end could of
course have options to work like ForeignDBRepo on WMF sites and
ForeignAPIRepo on non-WMF sites, which would be transparent to the end
user.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan [at] gmail> wrote:
> in which case it will be a good way for users
> to start implementing workarounds, and for us to notice the need and meet
> it with new features.

"Workarounds" like enwiki's Template:Str sub?[2] There will probably
be some of that anyway, but we don't need to encourage people to do
so.

[1]: For those that don't know, ForeignAPIRepo allows one MediaWiki
wiki to include files from another by making calls to the
prop=imageinfo API, in a similar manner to how WMF wikis use
ForeignDBRepo to include Commons images by looking directly in
Commons's database.

[2]: It's possible to implement {{str left|text|len}} using the
{{padleft}} parser function. So enwiki has a template {{str
index|text|pos}} that "gets" the character at 'pos' by basically
taking {{str left|text|pos}} and seeing whether it's equal to {{str
left|text|pos-1}}A, {{str left|text|pos-1}}B, {{str
left|text|pos-1}}C, {{str left|text|pos-1}}D, and so on. And then
{{str sub|text|start|len}} is implemented by calling {{str
index|text|pos}} for every position between start and start+len.

maxsem.wiki at gmail

Feb 18, 2013, 8:22 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On 18.02.2013, 18:57 Brad wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan [at] gmail> wrote:
>> How useful would it be for Lua to access to the query/content/parser API be?
>>
>> I am suspecting there could be a lot of creative usages of this, including
>> getting data from the wikidata (which won't have to do anything special to
>> enable this)

> Personally, I'd be extremely wary of allowing Lua (which is run in the
> middle of the page parse, remember) to be issuing HTTP requests on WMF
> sites. Especially after seeing how slow using ForeignAPIRepo for file
> accesses makes my local test wiki.[1]

No HTTP access is needed, however, this changes nothing: allowing API
calls from Lua opens such a nice can of worms that we don't want to do
it at the same time as Lua rollout, too much fun.

--
Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

skalee at gmail

Feb 18, 2013, 11:41 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

Wiadomość napisana przez Rob Lanphier w dniu 2013-02-15, o godz. 21:33:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We're planning to deploy Lua to a long list of wikis on Monday,
> February 18, 23:00-01:00 UTC (stretching into Tuesday UTC), including
> English Wikipedia.
>
> Details here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Lua
>
> Jan Kučera (User:Kozuch) has placed notifications on many of the
> wikis. Those notifications and general communications listed here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kozuch/Lua
>
> This is a really exciting deployment for the projects. We're really
> looking forward to seeing the great things that people do with this,
> and looking forward to making editing and previewing more responsive
> for template-heavy pages.
>
> Rob

What about locale? In Lua, identifiers can be made of any letters (and digits) and what is a letter is decided basing on locale. Will it be possible to use non-english or even non-latin characters in scripts?

bjorsch at wikimedia

Feb 18, 2013, 11:52 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Sebastian Skałacki <skalee [at] gmail> wrote:

> What about locale? In Lua, identifiers can be made of any letters (and digits) and what is a letter is decided basing on locale. Will it be possible to use non-english or even non-latin characters in scripts?

Note that Lua 5.2 removed the support for non-ASCII characters in
identifiers. I don't know whether Scribunto will allow non-ASCII
characters in identifiers currently, but it would be best to stick
with ASCII anyway.

Note this only applies to identifiers (e.g. variable names). Strings
and comments may contain literal UTF-8 characters without issue, and
the mw.ustring library is available to manipulate them.

--
Brad Jorsch
Software Engineer

gwicke at wikimedia

Feb 19, 2013, 10:54 AM

Re: Lua rollout to en.wikipedia.org and a few others [In reply to]

On 02/18/2013 04:29 AM, Tim Starling wrote:
> As for the Wikidata
> application -- the interface would be awkward compared to something
> made specifically for interfacing Wikidata with Lua.

I am still not convinced that the interface would be awkward. A general
method like

dataTable = mw.data.wikidata({ param1="foo", param2="bar" })

looks pretty simple to me. Maybe the wikidata-specific interface will be
more convenient to use, but I doubt that the difference will be significant.

Gabriel