Marking all of SVN as read-only

innocentkiller at gmail

Jan 24, 2013, 10:05 AM

Marking all of SVN as read-only

Hi all,

I've been taking a look at the SVN history[0], and it doesn't look like
anything is actively using SVN anymore. Looking at the logs, it doesn't
look like much of anything has been committed in the last few months
that hasn't since been moved to Git (in Gerrit or elsewhere). This being
said:

I'm going to mark all of the MediaWiki SVN repository as read-only
tomorrow, Jan. 25th.

Note this won't make anything in SVN go away, as we're still committed
to leaving the SVN repositories available in a read-only manner. This
also doesn't prevent us from converting extensions or other code to
Git if someone decides to resurrect a project. Finally, this does not
affect the Wikimedia repository, which still has a couple of active
projects.

-Chad

[0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki

innocentkiller at gmail

Jan 25, 2013, 8:53 AM

Re: Marking all of SVN as read-only [In reply to]

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been taking a look at the SVN history[0], and it doesn't look like
> anything is actively using SVN anymore. Looking at the logs, it doesn't
> look like much of anything has been committed in the last few months
> that hasn't since been moved to Git (in Gerrit or elsewhere). This being
> said:
>
> I'm going to mark all of the MediaWiki SVN repository as read-only
> tomorrow, Jan. 25th.
>
> Note this won't make anything in SVN go away, as we're still committed
> to leaving the SVN repositories available in a read-only manner. This
> also doesn't prevent us from converting extensions or other code to
> Git if someone decides to resurrect a project. Finally, this does not
> affect the Wikimedia repository, which still has a couple of active
> projects.
>
> -Chad
>
> [0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki

This is now complete.

To remind everyone (I was already asked): this *does not*
affect pywikipedia or the wikimedia repository.

-Chad