Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer

tchay at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 1:06 PM

Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer

Hello everyone,

It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Matthew Flaschen has joined the Wikimedia Foundation as a Features Engineer.

Before joining us, Matthew was working at Entech Consulting doing a whole bunch of web-projects from electricity utility sites to a cell phone store. He received his B.S. in Computer Science as recently as December 2010 from Georgia Tech.

At Georgia Tech, he was the lead developer of the ProveIt[1] Gadget which is live on English Wikipedia which is “probably the most advanced and easy-to-use referencing tool available to editors.” He’s also been a Wikipedia editor ([[User:Superm401]]) since 2004 and administrator since 2006. He hit the ground running with the Experimentation team so fast that he was still being interviewed when one of the team members wrote: “his integration with the team has been so seamless that I’ve to remind myself a few times that he is not yet a bona-fide employee.”

His first official day actually was on December 3rd because my team pressured me to start paying him. :-) He is working with the Experimentation team on extensions (such as Onboarding[2]) and core functionality. Beyond that he’s very interested in using tools to improve our development process, so I won’t be surprised if Ori steals him so they can Pinky-and-the-Brain other projects at the WMF.

Matt lives in Philadelphia. He will be working remotely, but is working in San Francisco all next week (starting Monday the 10th).

Please join me in a belated welcome of Matthew Flaschen to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)

Take care,
terry

[1]: http://proveit.cc.gatech.edu/
[2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Onboarding_new_Wikipedians

terry chay 최태리
Director of Features Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation
“Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”

p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
m: +1 (408) 480-8902
e: tchay [at] wikimedia
i: http://terrychay.com/
w: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tychay
aim: terrychay

jforrester at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 2:02 PM

Re: Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

On 7 December 2012 13:06, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Please join me in a belated welcome of Matthew Flaschen to the Wikimedia
> Foundation. :-)

Welcome aboard, Matt! Excited to be working alongside you.

J.
--
James D. Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor

jforrester [at] wikimedia | @jdforrester

dandreescu at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 2:08 PM

Re: Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

Welcome Matt! Philadelphia \o/

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM, James Forrester <jforrester [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> On 7 December 2012 13:06, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
> > Please join me in a belated welcome of Matthew Flaschen to the Wikimedia
> > Foundation. :-)
> >

> Welcome aboard, Matt! Excited to be working alongside you.
>
> J.
> --
> James D. Forrester
> Product Manager, VisualEditor
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> jforrester [at] wikimedia | @jdforrester

ssastry at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 2:10 PM

Re: Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

Welcome Matt.

Subbu (work remotely from Minneapolis).

> Welcome Matt! Philadelphia \o/
>

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM, James Forrester <jforrester [at] wikimedia>wrote:
>
>> On 7 December 2012 13:06, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>>
>>> Please join me in a belated welcome of Matthew Flaschen to the Wikimedia
>>> Foundation. :-)
>>>
>> Welcome aboard, Matt! Excited to be working alongside you.
>>
>> J.

mpinchuk at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 2:19 PM

Re: Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

I was really excited when I heard we were interviewing "the ProveIt guy,"
and Matt certainly didn't disappoint :)

Welcome aboard, Matt, and looking forward to meeting you IRL next week!

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Dan Andreescu <dandreescu [at] wikimedia>wrote:

> Welcome Matt! Philadelphia \o/
>

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM, James Forrester <jforrester [at] wikimedia
> >wrote:
>
> > On 7 December 2012 13:06, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> >
> > > Please join me in a belated welcome of Matthew Flaschen to the
> Wikimedia
> > > Foundation. :-)
> > >

> > Welcome aboard, Matt! Excited to be working alongside you.
> >
> > J.
> > --
> > James D. Forrester
> > Product Manager, VisualEditor
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> >
> > jforrester [at] wikimedia | @jdforrester

Maryana Pinchuk
Associate Product Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org

sumanah at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 2:21 PM

Re: Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

On 12/07/2012 01:06 PM, Terry Chay wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Matthew Flaschen has joined the Wikimedia Foundation as a Features Engineer.
>
> Before joining us, Matthew was working at Entech Consulting doing a whole bunch of web-projects from electricity utility sites to a cell phone store. He received his B.S. in Computer Science as recently as December 2010 from Georgia Tech.
>
> At Georgia Tech, he was the lead developer of the ProveIt[1] Gadget which is live on English Wikipedia which is “probably the most advanced and easy-to-use referencing tool available to editors.” He’s also been a Wikipedia editor ([[User:Superm401]]) since 2004 and administrator since 2006. He hit the ground running with the Experimentation team so fast that he was still being interviewed when one of the team members wrote: “his integration with the team has been so seamless that I’ve to remind myself a few times that he is not yet a bona-fide employee.”
>
> His first official day actually was on December 3rd because my team pressured me to start paying him. :-) He is working with the Experimentation team on extensions (such as Onboarding[2]) and core functionality. Beyond that he’s very interested in using tools to improve our development process, so I won’t be surprised if Ori steals him so they can Pinky-and-the-Brain other projects at the WMF.
>
> Matt lives in Philadelphia. He will be working remotely, but is working in San Francisco all next week (starting Monday the 10th).
>
> Please join me in a belated welcome of Matthew Flaschen to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)
>
> Take care,
> terry
>
> [1]: http://proveit.cc.gatech.edu/
> [2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Onboarding_new_Wikipedians
>
> terry chay 최태리

Wow, we got the lead dev for ProveIt! That's so great! I welcome
Matthew to the Wikimedia Foundation.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

mflaschen at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 2:31 PM

Re: Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

On 12/07/2012 05:02 PM, James Forrester wrote:
> On 7 December 2012 13:06, Terry Chay <tchay [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>
>> Please join me in a belated welcome of Matthew Flaschen to the Wikimedia
>> Foundation. :-)
>>

> Welcome aboard, Matt! Excited to be working alongside you.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting you in person sometime.

Matt

mflaschen at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 2:35 PM

Re: Announcement: Matthew Flaschen joins Wikimedia as Features Engineer [In reply to]

On 12/07/2012 05:19 PM, Maryana Pinchuk wrote:
> I was really excited when I heard we were interviewing "the ProveIt guy,"
> and Matt certainly didn't disappoint :)

Thanks! I should also give credit to everyone that's worked on ProveIt,
though. Besides me:

* Kurt Luther
* Terris Jordan
* Prof. Amy Bruckman