Customization of welcomecreation on different wikis

amir.aharoni at mail

Dec 4, 2012, 12:17 PM

Customization of welcomecreation on different wikis

(Spun off the Advertising changes to MediaWiki messages in core‏.)

2012/12/4 S Page <spage [at] wikimedia>:
> I wrote a little script last night to check for the existence of the
> old and new messages, and it seems there are 205 wikis that did
> override welcomecreation (!!?), so ideally someone should find the
> [[Wikipedia:MediaWiki messages]] or [[Village pump (technical)]] page
> for those 205 wikis, or otherwise contact their admins. The list of
> wiki messages is at
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:S_Page_%28WMF%29/welcomecreation_messages>

This made me feel very \o/.

Research about current customizations of messages on projects is
probably the number one thing that I'd like to see happen in the
Wikimedia dev community.

These customizations didn't go through the thorough user testing
process of the kind that your team does, but they are nevertheless a
wonderful source for ideas for improvements that can be useful for any
language, and for identifying things that communities need and the
software doesn't provide out of the box.

> I'm curious if any of those 205 wikis are doing inventive "Welcome
> aboard, now read a tutorial/say hi/fix a page/play in the sandbox"
> things. It's an area our team (Editor Engagement Experiments) cares
> about.

In the languages that I know (Hebrew, Russian, Catalan) - yes, mostly.

The most inventive is probably the Hebrew Wikipedia (
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Welcomecreation ), which has a
lot of graphics. It has three big buttons:
1."writing style tutorial for beginners" (equivalent of Wikipedia:Tutorial)
2. "adopt-a-user" (equiv. of Wikipedia:Adopt-a-user or Teahouse) /
"Help Desk" (equiv. of Wikipedia:Help desk)
3. Special:Preferences

Most customized welcome pages say a few words that are specific to the
project, such as "Welcome to the Russian Wikiversity. Sign up to your
school."

One message was just a punctuation correction that was made to its
primitive 2005 version. Things like this happen a lot, too.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

steven.walling at gmail

Dec 4, 2012, 12:40 PM

Re: Customization of welcomecreation on different wikis [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <
amir.aharoni [at] mail> wrote:

> (Spun off the Advertising changes to MediaWiki messages in core‏.)
>
> 2012/12/4 S Page <spage [at] wikimedia>:
> > I wrote a little script last night to check for the existence of the
> > old and new messages, and it seems there are 205 wikis that did
> > override welcomecreation (!!?), so ideally someone should find the
> > [[Wikipedia:MediaWiki messages]] or [[Village pump (technical)]] page
> > for those 205 wikis, or otherwise contact their admins. The list of
> > wiki messages is at
> > <
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:S_Page_%28WMF%29/welcomecreation_messages
> >

> This made me feel very \o/.
>
> Research about current customizations of messages on projects is
> probably the number one thing that I'd like to see happen in the
> Wikimedia dev community.
>
> These customizations didn't go through the thorough user testing
> process of the kind that your team does, but they are nevertheless a
> wonderful source for ideas for improvements that can be useful for any
> language, and for identifying things that communities need and the
> software doesn't provide out of the box.
>
> > I'm curious if any of those 205 wikis are doing inventive "Welcome
> > aboard, now read a tutorial/say hi/fix a page/play in the sandbox"
> > things. It's an area our team (Editor Engagement Experiments) cares
> > about.
>
> In the languages that I know (Hebrew, Russian, Catalan) - yes, mostly.
>
> The most inventive is probably the Hebrew Wikipedia (
> https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Welcomecreation ), which has a
> lot of graphics. It has three big buttons:
> 1."writing style tutorial for beginners" (equivalent of Wikipedia:Tutorial)
> 2. "adopt-a-user" (equiv. of Wikipedia:Adopt-a-user or Teahouse) /
> "Help Desk" (equiv. of Wikipedia:Help desk)
> 3. Special:Preferences
>
> Most customized welcome pages say a few words that are specific to the
> project, such as "Welcome to the Russian Wikiversity. Sign up to your
> school."
>
> One message was just a punctuation correction that was made to its
> primitive 2005 version. Things like this happen a lot, too.

Interesting. Yeah, I clearly need to set up a global notification for the
relevant projects. :)

Steven

spage at wikimedia

Dec 4, 2012, 10:11 PM

Re: Customization of welcomecreation on different wikis [In reply to]

<amir.aharoni [at] mail> wrote:
> 2012/12/4 S Page <spage [at] wikimedia>:

>> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:S_Page_%28WMF%29/welcomecreation_messages>
>
> This made me feel very \o/.
>
> Research about current customizations of messages on projects is
> probably the number one thing that I'd like to see happen in the
> Wikimedia dev community.

Glad to help, and it's not hard to do as a one-off job. I understand
these are the sorts of jobs that toolserver runs but I've no
experience wit it. Maybe there's a way to for transwiki to show "for
language X, here are the Wikipedias, Wikibooks, Wikiquotes, etc. that
have customized this message (as of last run at 2012-12-03 19:50
UTC)."

> The most inventive is probably the Hebrew Wikipedia (
> https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Welcomecreation ), which has a
> lot of graphics. It has three big buttons ...

And in this case it doesn't look like anyone has copied that
customized message to
he.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Welcomecreation-msg 1.21wmf5 will
launch on wikis tomorrow (today) December 4th.

> Most customized welcome pages say a few words that are specific to the
> project, such as "Welcome to the Russian Wikiversity. Sign up to your
> school."

The first part could be handled by using {{SITENAME}} in the default message.

--
=S Page software engineer on E3