Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Wikitech

Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.]

 

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


aklapper at wikimedia

Dec 4, 2012, 11:44 AM

Post #1 of 26 (1797 views)
Permalink
Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.]

bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).

Big thanks to Daniel Zahn from the ops team for upgrading!
All fame belongs to him!

I've done some quick testing, and to my surprise stuff like "Weekly bug
summary" did not break.
However, if you see new issues and problems please file a ticket:
http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Wikimedia&component=Bugzilla

The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
CC-only mails."

New features and improvements of this Bugzilla version:
http://www.bugzilla.org/releases/4.2.4/release-notes.html#v42_feat

Happy bug reporting!

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/



--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Dec 4, 2012, 11:53 AM

Post #2 of 26 (1764 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
> changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
> watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
> CC-only mails."
>

Is there a reason for this? We had this hack in place to keep BZ
from spamming IRC/wikibugs-l when only the CC list changes...

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


aklapper at wikimedia

Dec 4, 2012, 3:29 PM

Post #3 of 26 (1754 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 14:53 -0500, Chad wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
> > changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
> > watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
> > CC-only mails."
> >
>
> Is there a reason for this? We had this hack in place to keep BZ
> from spamming IRC/wikibugs-l when only the CC list changes...

The diff didn't apply cleanly, IIRC.
We could probably give it a try again in the next days.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Dec 5, 2012, 11:53 AM

Post #4 of 26 (1748 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
> latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).
>

There's been some idle grumbling (myself included) that the new
default of HTML e-mails is kind of yucky and people preferred the
plaintext. Do others have thoughts? Should we turn the default
back?

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


smazeland at wikimedia

Dec 5, 2012, 11:55 AM

Post #5 of 26 (1748 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:
> > bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
> > latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).
> >
>
> There's been some idle grumbling (myself included) that the new
> default of HTML e-mails is kind of yucky and people preferred the
> plaintext. Do others have thoughts? Should we turn the default
> back?


I like that I can finally see what changed. I couldn't see that on my iOS
mail apps. Now I can. So I like that part.

I'd like to see the order of the fields optimized, but that's nothing
critical.

Cheers!

--
Siebrand Mazeland
Product Manager Language Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


brion at pobox

Dec 5, 2012, 11:57 AM

Post #6 of 26 (1749 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:
> > bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
> > latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).
> >
>
> There's been some idle grumbling (myself included) that the new
> default of HTML e-mails is kind of yucky and people preferred the
> plaintext. Do others have thoughts? Should we turn the default
> back?
>

I say leave it, let's join the 21st century with links in our emails. :)

Looks like folks can switch their own preferences on/off for this if they
want it changed:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=settings "Preferred email
format"

-- brion
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


zfilipin at wikimedia

Dec 5, 2012, 12:52 PM

Post #7 of 26 (1747 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:

> There's been some idle grumbling (myself included) that the new
> default of HTML e-mails is kind of yucky and people preferred the
> plaintext. Do others have thoughts? Should we turn the default
> back?
>

I prefer HTML mails.

Željko
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


sumanah at wikimedia

Dec 5, 2012, 12:56 PM

Post #8 of 26 (1752 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On 12/04/2012 11:44 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
> bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
> latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).
>
> Big thanks to Daniel Zahn from the ops team for upgrading!
> All fame belongs to him!

Much appreciation to Andre and to Daniel for their many hours of work on
this, and on their previous security upgrade of Bugzilla.

> I've done some quick testing, and to my surprise stuff like "Weekly bug
> summary" did not break.
> However, if you see new issues and problems please file a ticket:
> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Wikimedia&component=Bugzilla
>
> The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
> changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
> watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
> CC-only mails."
>
> New features and improvements of this Bugzilla version:
> http://www.bugzilla.org/releases/4.2.4/release-notes.html#v42_feat
>
> Happy bug reporting!
>
> andre

I want to emphasize a few of the improvements that I especially love,
from those release notes:
* Displaying a bug with many dependencies is now much faster.
* After you edit a bug, the URL is automatically changed to show_bug.cgi
instead of process_bug.cgi or the like.
* User autocompletion is faster (like when you add a cc).
* Most changes made by BZ admins are now logged to the database, in the
audit_log table.
* We can disable older components, versions and milestones.

And we get more customizability to generally improve the look, feel, and
workflow of Bugzilla. So, thanks for pushing this, Daniel and Andre!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager
Wikimedia Foundation

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


hashar+wmf at free

Dec 5, 2012, 1:14 PM

Post #9 of 26 (1746 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

Le 05/12/12 20:53, Chad a écrit :
> There's been some idle grumbling (myself included) that the new
> default of HTML e-mails is kind of yucky and people preferred the
> plaintext. Do others have thoughts? Should we turn the default
> back?

I would leave HTML mails to be the default. I hate them myself but
given them a try for a few days see how my brain adapt :-]

As other said, one can revert back to plain text in its user preferences.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


hashar+wmf at free

Dec 5, 2012, 1:22 PM

Post #10 of 26 (1749 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

Le 05/12/12 21:56, Sumana Harihareswara a écrit :
> * After you edit a bug, the URL is automatically changed to show_bug.cgi
> instead of process_bug.cgi or the like.

I have been hit by that one almost daily for a few years now.
Congratulations on the upgrade :)

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


jdlrobson at gmail

Dec 5, 2012, 1:45 PM

Post #11 of 26 (1748 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

This is long overdue and kudos to all involved.
I'm already noticing the more useful side effects such as the url
change, performance and the better formatted emails

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 11:44 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
>> bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
>> latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).
>>
>> Big thanks to Daniel Zahn from the ops team for upgrading!
>> All fame belongs to him!
>
> Much appreciation to Andre and to Daniel for their many hours of work on
> this, and on their previous security upgrade of Bugzilla.
>
>> I've done some quick testing, and to my surprise stuff like "Weekly bug
>> summary" did not break.
>> However, if you see new issues and problems please file a ticket:
>> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Wikimedia&component=Bugzilla
>>
>> The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
>> changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
>> watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
>> CC-only mails."
>>
>> New features and improvements of this Bugzilla version:
>> http://www.bugzilla.org/releases/4.2.4/release-notes.html#v42_feat
>>
>> Happy bug reporting!
>>
>> andre
>
> I want to emphasize a few of the improvements that I especially love,
> from those release notes:
> * Displaying a bug with many dependencies is now much faster.
> * After you edit a bug, the URL is automatically changed to show_bug.cgi
> instead of process_bug.cgi or the like.
> * User autocompletion is faster (like when you add a cc).
> * Most changes made by BZ admins are now logged to the database, in the
> audit_log table.
> * We can disable older components, versions and milestones.
>
> And we get more customizability to generally improve the look, feel, and
> workflow of Bugzilla. So, thanks for pushing this, Daniel and Andre!
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> Wikitech-l [at] lists
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l



--
Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk
@rakugojon

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


dereckson at espace-win

Dec 6, 2012, 8:38 AM

Post #12 of 26 (1748 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Jon Robson <jdlrobson [at] gmail> wrote:
> This is long overdue and kudos to all involved.
> I'm already noticing the more useful side effects such as the url
> change, performance and the better formatted emails
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Sumana Harihareswara
> <sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> On 12/04/2012 11:44 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
>>> bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
>>> latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).
>>>
>>> Big thanks to Daniel Zahn from the ops team for upgrading!
>>> All fame belongs to him!
>>
>> Much appreciation to Andre and to Daniel for their many hours of work on
>> this, and on their previous security upgrade of Bugzilla.
>>
>>> I've done some quick testing, and to my surprise stuff like "Weekly bug
>>> summary" did not break.
>>> However, if you see new issues and problems please file a ticket:
>>> http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Wikimedia&component=Bugzilla
>>>
>>> The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
>>> changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
>>> watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
>>> CC-only mails."
>>>
>>> New features and improvements of this Bugzilla version:
>>> http://www.bugzilla.org/releases/4.2.4/release-notes.html#v42_feat
>>>
>>> Happy bug reporting!
>>>
>>> andre
>>
>> I want to emphasize a few of the improvements that I especially love,
>> from those release notes:
>> * Displaying a bug with many dependencies is now much faster.
>> * After you edit a bug, the URL is automatically changed to show_bug.cgi
>> instead of process_bug.cgi or the like.
>> * User autocompletion is faster (like when you add a cc).
>> * Most changes made by BZ admins are now logged to the database, in the
>> audit_log table.
>> * We can disable older components, versions and milestones.
>>
>> And we get more customizability to generally improve the look, feel, and
>> workflow of Bugzilla. So, thanks for pushing this, Daniel and Andre!

Hello,

I didn't see this thread before. Thank you Daniel for the update.

After several days, I can confirm that eases the daily use.

Small functionalities like "Take" instead to set himself as assignee.

About the HTML mails, I like them, it's easier to scan what changed
than the previous format.

--
Best Regards,
Sébastien Santoro aka Dereckson

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Dec 6, 2012, 9:06 AM

Post #13 of 26 (1748 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Brion Vibber <brion [at] pobox> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia>
>> wrote:
>> > bugzilla.wikimedia.org is operational again and is now running the
>> > latest stable version (4.2.4, before was 4.0.9).
>> >
>>
>> There's been some idle grumbling (myself included) that the new
>> default of HTML e-mails is kind of yucky and people preferred the
>> plaintext. Do others have thoughts? Should we turn the default
>> back?
>>
>
> I say leave it, let's join the 21st century with links in our emails. :)
>
> Looks like folks can switch their own preferences on/off for this if they
> want it changed:
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=settings "Preferred email
> format"
>

Bah, plaintext 4 ever ;-)

Seems I'm outnumbered on this. I've already changed my preferences,
so it's not a big deal.

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


marco.fleckinger at wikipedia

Dec 6, 2012, 9:40 AM

Post #14 of 26 (1744 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On 06/12/12 18:06, Chad wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Brion Vibber<brion [at] pobox> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Chad<innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper<aklapper [at] wikimedia>
>>> wrote:
>
> Bah, plaintext 4 ever ;-)
>
Everything else is nonsense with K9 on Android.

> Seems I'm outnumbered on this. I've already changed my preferences,
> so it's not a big deal.
>
+1

Cheers

Marco

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


aklapper at wikimedia

Dec 7, 2012, 6:29 AM

Post #15 of 26 (1738 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 00:29 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 14:53 -0500, Chad wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> > > The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
> > > changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
> > > watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
> > > CC-only mails."
> >
> > Is there a reason for this? We had this hack in place to keep BZ
> > from spamming IRC/wikibugs-l when only the CC list changes...

So the aim of the patch was to completely omit bugmail in case of CC
list only changes, in order to make IRC + wikibugs-l@ less noisy?

1) I assume this silently broke "The CC field changes" settings on
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email for everybody in
the past. "Assume" because my time machine back to 4.0.9 is broken.
2) wikibugs-l@ is also set as "globalwatchers" ("who should receive a
copy of every notification mail Bugzilla sends").
After the Bugzilla upgrade wikibugs-l@ *finally* works reliably for me
and seems to send ALL bugmail.
Before I didn't receive bugmail anymore after wikibugs-l@ got removed as
assignee of a report && when wikibugs-l@ was not listed either as
default CC of the corresponding component (test example: bug 42226).

These might be related [or not] to dropping the hack.

In any case, I'd like to challenge reapplying this patch, because:

1) Don't set wikibugs-l@ as globalwatchers if you don't want it to
receive all bugmail about all changes.
2) If you want a certain account to not receive email in case of
changing X in Bugzilla, edit the accounts's "when to send mail" settings
in Bugzilla to not to send bugmail in case of only changing X.
Obviously this interferes with 1) currently.


andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


p858snake at gmail

Dec 7, 2012, 11:50 AM

Post #16 of 26 (1744 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> So the aim of the patch was to completely omit bugmail in case of CC
> list only changes, in order to make IRC + wikibugs-l@ less noisy?
>
> ...
>
> In any case, I'd like to challenge reapplying this patch, because:
>
> 1) Don't set wikibugs-l@ as globalwatchers if you don't want it to
> receive all bugmail about all changes.
> 2) If you want a certain account to not receive email in case of
> changing X in Bugzilla, edit the accounts's "when to send mail" settings
> in Bugzilla to not to send bugmail in case of only changing X.
> Obviously this interferes with 1) currently.

Wikibugs-l is for technical people that follow it for the bug
information, not for "Joe Blogs [added/removed] himself from CC" and
CCing doesn't provide any information that is needed for that list,
That is why its hacked out. Wikibugs not receiving it is a bonus since
it just reads the wikibugs email list and spits it out.

Global watcher is the best option for what we want, Because it always
covers the bugs and the only other option really is rely on wikibugs-l
being added to the cc list which wasn't a reliable method at all (was
used before GW was enabled/present).

Can you propose a better option for this than defaulting the cc'er as wikibugs?

I doub't there are that that many people that want the wikibugs-l list
to receive a copy of every single change (Eg: cc changes) to the bug,
But that is probably a discussion for another thread.

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Dec 7, 2012, 12:27 PM

Post #17 of 26 (1742 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 00:29 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 14:53 -0500, Chad wrote:
>> > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> > > The only (potential) regression is that we did not apply previous
>> > > changes to Bugmail.pm, described as "Wikimedia Hack! Pretend global
>> > > watchers are CCs so we can use their prefs to for instance ignore
>> > > CC-only mails."
>> >
>> > Is there a reason for this? We had this hack in place to keep BZ
>> > from spamming IRC/wikibugs-l when only the CC list changes...
>
> So the aim of the patch was to completely omit bugmail in case of CC
> list only changes, in order to make IRC + wikibugs-l@ less noisy?
>
> 1) I assume this silently broke "The CC field changes" settings on
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email for everybody in
> the past. "Assume" because my time machine back to 4.0.9 is broken.
> 2) wikibugs-l@ is also set as "globalwatchers" ("who should receive a
> copy of every notification mail Bugzilla sends").
> After the Bugzilla upgrade wikibugs-l@ *finally* works reliably for me
> and seems to send ALL bugmail.
> Before I didn't receive bugmail anymore after wikibugs-l@ got removed as
> assignee of a report && when wikibugs-l@ was not listed either as
> default CC of the corresponding component (test example: bug 42226).
>

I don't know how your preferences were configured, but our hack
has worked as expected for years. The logic only happens to
@watchers[0], and all it does is set the default CC param for the
global watch user. No actual user preferences should be changed.

-Chad

[0] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=wikimedia/bugzilla/modifications.git;a=blob;f=bugzilla-4.0/Bugzilla/BugMail.pm;h=28f378ba80c7bbc91fe29b47e0ae0eb862e900b9;hb=99319f78d16bc15ef5bfa63135a95df5a102739d#l366

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


innocentkiller at gmail

Dec 7, 2012, 12:28 PM

Post #18 of 26 (1738 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM, K. Peachey <p858snake [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> So the aim of the patch was to completely omit bugmail in case of CC
>> list only changes, in order to make IRC + wikibugs-l@ less noisy?
>>
>> ...
>>
>> In any case, I'd like to challenge reapplying this patch, because:
>>
>> 1) Don't set wikibugs-l@ as globalwatchers if you don't want it to
>> receive all bugmail about all changes.
>> 2) If you want a certain account to not receive email in case of
>> changing X in Bugzilla, edit the accounts's "when to send mail" settings
>> in Bugzilla to not to send bugmail in case of only changing X.
>> Obviously this interferes with 1) currently.
>
> Wikibugs-l is for technical people that follow it for the bug
> information, not for "Joe Blogs [added/removed] himself from CC" and
> CCing doesn't provide any information that is needed for that list,
> That is why its hacked out. Wikibugs not receiving it is a bonus since
> it just reads the wikibugs email list and spits it out.
>
> Global watcher is the best option for what we want, Because it always
> covers the bugs and the only other option really is rely on wikibugs-l
> being added to the cc list which wasn't a reliable method at all (was
> used before GW was enabled/present).
>
> Can you propose a better option for this than defaulting the cc'er as wikibugs?
>
> I doub't there are that that many people that want the wikibugs-l list
> to receive a copy of every single change (Eg: cc changes) to the bug,
> But that is probably a discussion for another thread.
>

This. We've had this working for years as-is, and I don't
see any consensus to change it (as long as it's continuing
to work as expected).

-Chad

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


aklapper at wikimedia

Dec 10, 2012, 5:09 AM

Post #19 of 26 (1739 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 05:50 +1000, K. Peachey wrote:
> Can you propose a better option for this than defaulting the cc'er as
> wikibugs?
>
> I doub't there are that that many people that want the wikibugs-l list
> to receive a copy of every single change (Eg: cc changes) to the bug,
> But that is probably a discussion for another thread.

There are two people watching wikibugs-l@: Quim Gil and I.
So I'll likely set up an account like "all-bugmail [at] wikimedia" and
set it as "globalwatcher" tomorrow. Then Quim and I can subscribe to it
to drown in bugmail, and you can use wikitech-l@ as usual.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


qgil at wikimedia

Dec 10, 2012, 7:04 AM

Post #20 of 26 (1740 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On 12/10/2012 05:09 AM, Andre Klapper wrote:
> There are two people watching wikibugs-l@: Quim Gil and I.

fwiw I stopped watching wikibugs-l@ this weekend, after coming up with a
saved search showing exactly what I'm looking for.


--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


krinklemail at gmail

Dec 11, 2012, 10:30 AM

Post #21 of 26 (1751 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Dec 10, 2012, at 2:09 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 05:50 +1000, K. Peachey wrote:
>> Can you propose a better option for this than defaulting the cc'er as
>> wikibugs?
>>
>> I doub't there are that that many people that want the wikibugs-l list
>> to receive a copy of every single change (Eg: cc changes) to the bug,
>> But that is probably a discussion for another thread.
>
> There are two people watching wikibugs-l@: Quim Gil and I.
> So I'll likely set up an account like "all-bugmail [at] wikimedia" and
> set it as "globalwatcher" tomorrow. Then Quim and I can subscribe to it
> to drown in bugmail, and you can use wikitech-l@ as usual.
>

I am also subscribed to wikibugs-l, and I believe Roan is as well (or was anyway).

I agree with Chad, it should continue to work as expected. From a globalwatcher point of view, whatever change is made to a bug, it must not affect the fact that the globalwatcher address (wikibugs-l in this case) is notified. The default CC status of "Nobody <wikibugs-l [at] lists>" is afaik just for legacy reasons and as placeholder. wikibugs-l as Bugzilla account isn't actually used afaik. In the Bugzilla configuration, wikibugs-l is configured as globalwatcher.

The proposal Andre makes here sounds confusing, How is that different from the current situation? What problem is it supposed to address?

-- Krinkle


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


aklapper at wikimedia

Dec 11, 2012, 11:56 AM

Post #22 of 26 (1738 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 19:30 +0100, Krinkle wrote:
> The proposal Andre makes here sounds confusing, How is that different
> from the current situation? What problem is it supposed to address?

Re-reading what the hack is supposed to do I realize that making another
Bugzilla user a globalwatcher won't change anything.

As I've mentioned before I didn't receive bugmail anymore for a report
after wikibugs-l@ had been removed as assignee of a report && when
wikibugs-l@ was not listed as default CC of the component either.
It works since the upgrade, and I cannot prove if it was related to the
hack, but I guess I can quickly find out after reapplying it.

So anybody with shell access who's passionate about getting this back,
please feel free to reapply the attached patch
1) on the Bugzilla server and
2) to drop it into Gerrit's
wikimedia/bugzilla/modifications/bugzilla-4.2/Bugzilla/BugMail.pm
so Gerrit and Bugzilla are in sync (Bugzilla isn't hooked up with Puppet
or Gerrit and you don't want to make things messier, do you?). ;)

andre


PS: Offtopic, just explaining how things work in Bugzilla:

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 19:30 +0100, Krinkle wrote:
> wikibugs-l as Bugzilla account isn't actually used afaik.

It isn't, but that doesn't matter here. Other Bugzilla instances also
use such virtual accounts, even with non-working email addresses. They
are only created so you can add such accounts to your "User Watching"
list. Then Bugzilla will make you receive the bugmail that such accounts
would theoretically receive. That's all. No email is "physically" sent
to such virtual accounts. That is contrary to wikibugs-l@ which seems to
be an existing and working email address.

--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


p858snake at gmail

Dec 11, 2012, 12:53 PM

Post #23 of 26 (1734 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012, Andre Klapper wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 19:30 +0100, Krinkle wrote:
> > wikibugs-l as Bugzilla account isn't actually used afaik.
>
> …

That is contrary to wikibugs-l@ which seems to
> be an existing and working email address.
>

Yes it's a mailing list that anyone can subscribe to, and last I heard it
has quiet a few members listed.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


aklapper at wikimedia

Dec 14, 2012, 9:41 AM

Post #24 of 26 (1728 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 14:53 -0500, Chad wrote:
> Is there a reason for this? We had this hack in place to keep BZ
> from spamming IRC/wikibugs-l when only the CC list changes...

Anybody from ops is welcome to reapply the patch:
https://rt.wikimedia.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4121
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43130

I don't have shell access myself.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l


krinklemail at gmail

Dec 14, 2012, 10:26 AM

Post #25 of 26 (1721 views)
Permalink
Re: Bugzilla upgrade [was: bugzilla.wikimedia.org downtime: Now.] [In reply to]

On Dec 11, 2012, at 9:53 PM, K. Peachey <p858snake [at] gmail> wrote:

>
> That is contrary [..]
>

No, it isn't contradictory.

The bugzilla account for "wikibugs-l [at] lists" is either inexistent, or unused.
The *e-mail address* exists, but that's irrelevant.

Mails to this list are sent through the global configuration setting "globalwatchers" – not through the fact that it may or may not be on CC of a bug.

At least that's how it is supposed to work, and should work again if not.

This global configuration setting is afaik a core feature, what exactly does this "hack" entail?


On Dec 11, 2012, at 8:56 PM, Andre Klapper <aklapper [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> [..] virtual accounts, even with non-working email addresses. They
> are only created so you can add such accounts to your "User Watching"
> list.
>


That is an interesting technique, but that isn't what we're doing here afaik. Because if someone wants those mails, they can simply subscribe to the list. And moreover, subscribing to the list is semantically more correct since then you receive all activity though the globalwatchers setting, as opposed to only the activity on bugs the "Nobody" account is CCed on (which is often removed from bugs when someone assigns a bug or otherwise ends up removing it for some reason).

-- Krinkle


_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
Wikitech-l [at] lists
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.