Welcome Quim Gil to Engineering Community Team!

sumanah at wikimedia

Nov 13, 2012, 2:15 PM

Welcome Quim Gil to Engineering Community Team!

I am very happy to announce that tomorrow is Quim Gil's first day in the
Engineering Community Team of the Wikimedia Foundation. His title is
Technical Contributor Coordinator (IT Communications Manager) which
means that he'll be reaching out to and nurturing our testers, coders,
documenters, product managers, sysadmins, and other contributors to
Wikimedia technologies like MediaWiki. His blog entry about coming to
WMF: https://flors.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/moving-up-in-the-freedom-stack/

Quim is a contributor to Catalan Wikisource & Wikipedia and English
Wikipedia (User:Qgil), and has helped Wikimedia's mobile team as a
volunteer. Most recently he's dug into statistical analysis of
MediaWiki's coder community and the philosophical conundrum of
RESOLVED:LATER. You might also know him from his activity in the worlds
of GNOME, Qt, and Maemo -- he's coming to us from Nokia. If I try to
detail all the consulting, event-running, volunteer recruiting, open
source community management, writing, and projects he's done, I'll hit
some kind of mailman limit so I won't try. :-)

Quim lives in the Bay Area and will be working out of the San Francisco
office while reporting to me remotely, which is kind of hilarious. In
the near future he'll be encouraging volunteer testers and running our
Outreach Program for Women.

And tomorrow is Quim's birthday! So, happy birthday and welcome, Quim!
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Platonides at gmail

Nov 13, 2012, 3:47 PM

Re: Welcome Quim Gil to Engineering Community Team! [In reply to]

Welcome and Happy Birthday!

gwicke at wikimedia

Nov 13, 2012, 5:52 PM

Re: [Engineering] Welcome Quim Gil to Engineering Community Team! [In reply to]

> Quim Gil's first day in the Engineering Community Team of the
> Wikimedia Foundation.

Welcome and happy birthday, Quim!

--
Gabriel Wicke
Senior Software Developer

toniher at cau

Nov 14, 2012, 3:51 AM

Re: Welcome Quim Gil to Engineering Community Team! [In reply to]

Nice seeing you here!

Welcome and happy birthday!

2012/11/13 Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia>:
> I am very happy to announce that tomorrow is Quim Gil's first day in the
> Engineering Community Team of the Wikimedia Foundation. His title is
> Technical Contributor Coordinator (IT Communications Manager) which
> means that he'll be reaching out to and nurturing our testers, coders,
> documenters, product managers, sysadmins, and other contributors to
> Wikimedia technologies like MediaWiki. His blog entry about coming to
> WMF: https://flors.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/moving-up-in-the-freedom-stack/
>
> Quim is a contributor to Catalan Wikisource & Wikipedia and English
> Wikipedia (User:Qgil), and has helped Wikimedia's mobile team as a
> volunteer. Most recently he's dug into statistical analysis of
> MediaWiki's coder community and the philosophical conundrum of
> RESOLVED:LATER. You might also know him from his activity in the worlds
> of GNOME, Qt, and Maemo -- he's coming to us from Nokia. If I try to
> detail all the consulting, event-running, volunteer recruiting, open
> source community management, writing, and projects he's done, I'll hit
> some kind of mailman limit so I won't try. :-)
>
> Quim lives in the Bay Area and will be working out of the San Francisco
> office while reporting to me remotely, which is kind of hilarious. In
> the near future he'll be encouraging volunteer testers and running our
> Outreach Program for Women.
>
> And tomorrow is Quim's birthday! So, happy birthday and welcome, Quim!

--
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

qgil at wikimedia

Nov 15, 2012, 3:38 PM

Re: [Engineering] Welcome Quim Gil to Engineering Community Team! [In reply to]

Hello everybody, and thank you Sumana for the warm welcome.

I had expected a first day at work with time to fill a personal
profile properly and write a blog post, but the end of my second day
is approaching and I'm still not there. It's all good, in the meantime
I completed my first task as WMF employee: kicking off
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreach_Program_for_Women

:)

This 'Technical Contributor Coordinator' job is better understood by
the actions than by the name of the role. If you are interested, check
my fast-growing task list:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil#Task_list

Community outreach can be rather distracting, since reading and
socializing is the best AND the worst thing to do if you want to
accomplish anything. It's not easy to mix the right dose. Trying to
find the appropriate balance, my work is guided by a rather simple
trinity:

1. Focus on the WMF focus.
2. Agreement with Sumana.
3. No more than three ongoing tasks at a time.

I don't mention openness and transparency because they are intrinsic
and assumed.

Feel free suggesting new items and different priorities. Most of my
work needs to be done next to somebody else i.e. you (yes, you!).

If you care about who I am and where do I (professionally) come from,
here is a couple of useful links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Qgil
http://www.linkedin.com/in/quimgil

More about all this in the blog post that (hopefully) will be
published tomorrow celebrating THE GREAT JOY OF BEING HERE WITH YOU -
and even be paid for it. :)

--
Quim

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I am very happy to announce that tomorrow is Quim Gil's first day in the
> Engineering Community Team of the Wikimedia Foundation. His title is
> Technical Contributor Coordinator (IT Communications Manager) which
> means that he'll be reaching out to and nurturing our testers, coders,
> documenters, product managers, sysadmins, and other contributors to
> Wikimedia technologies like MediaWiki. His blog entry about coming to
> WMF: https://flors.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/moving-up-in-the-freedom-stack/
>
> Quim is a contributor to Catalan Wikisource & Wikipedia and English
> Wikipedia (User:Qgil), and has helped Wikimedia's mobile team as a
> volunteer. Most recently he's dug into statistical analysis of
> MediaWiki's coder community and the philosophical conundrum of
> RESOLVED:LATER. You might also know him from his activity in the worlds
> of GNOME, Qt, and Maemo -- he's coming to us from Nokia. If I try to
> detail all the consulting, event-running, volunteer recruiting, open
> source community management, writing, and projects he's done, I'll hit
> some kind of mailman limit so I won't try. :-)
>
> Quim lives in the Bay Area and will be working out of the San Francisco
> office while reporting to me remotely, which is kind of hilarious. In
> the near future he'll be encouraging volunteer testers and running our
> Outreach Program for Women.
>
> And tomorrow is Quim's birthday! So, happy birthday and welcome, Quim!
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

akshay.leadindia at gmail

Nov 16, 2012, 2:40 AM

Re: [Engineering] Welcome Quim Gil to Engineering Community Team! [In reply to]

Welcome to the team! All the Best!

Regards
Akshay