Re: Switching to Timed Media Handler on EnWiki (was: Commons)

robla at wikimedia

Oct 29, 2012, 3:55 PM

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Jan Gerber <jgerber [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> I know we conducted tests for TMH “playing” well with oggHandler provider (
>> i.e the test2.wikipedia.org pages are embedding commons videos but played
>> back with TMH ) ... I am not sure if we have conducted tests for oggHandler
>> playing well with a TMH provider with the possible configuration phases
>> mentioned above.
>
> good point. labs is setup like that now: en running OggHandler and commons TMH
>
> http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/File:Citygroup_Center,_San_Francisco.ogv
> http://commons.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/File:Citygroup_Center,_San_Francisco.ogv
>
> so that part looks good to go. (should also test smaller embeds to be sure)

Ok, so after this, and a couple of brief offlist discussions, we've
made a slight change to the plan:

Here's what we'll do:
1) Wednesday, October 31: Deploy to en.wikipedia.org first. There's
enough video content there, and robust enough feedback (WP:VPT) that
if there's any problem with video, we'll hear about it. Also, more
easiliy reversed than going to commons.
2) (TBD, possibly Monday, November 5) Deploy to everything *but* commons
3) (TBD, possibly Wednesday, November 7) Deploy to commons

I'll make the changes to all of the published plans to reflect this.

Rob

robla at wikimedia

Oct 30, 2012, 6:05 PM

Re: Switching to Timed Media Handler on EnWiki (was: Commons) [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Ok, so after this, and a couple of brief offlist discussions, we've
> made a slight change to the plan [to deploy TimedMediaHandler]:
>
> Here's what we'll do:
> 1) Wednesday, October 31: Deploy to en.wikipedia.org first. There's
> enough video content there, and robust enough feedback (WP:VPT) that
> if there's any problem with video, we'll hear about it. Also, more
> easiliy reversed than going to commons.
> 2) (TBD, possibly Monday, November 5) Deploy to everything *but* commons
> 3) (TBD, possibly Wednesday, November 7) Deploy to commons
>
> I'll make the changes to all of the published plans to reflect this.

Another update. We're going to postpone this one day. There's some
further testing that needs to happen on older versions of IE, as well
as a fix for a blocker that needs to be deployed and spend some time
in test. New time: Thursday, November 1, 16:00 UTC to English
Wikipedia.

Rob