Switching to Timed Media Handler on Commons

robla at wikimedia

Oct 28, 2012, 10:41 PM

Switching to Timed Media Handler on Commons

Hi everyone,

This is a fairly long email describing where we're at with Timed Media
Handler, and what we plan for this week. The short version is:
* We'll be deploying a few fixes tomorrow (Monday)
* If all goes well, we'd like to deploy Timed Media Handler to
Commons on Wednesday (9am PDT)
* Short of deploying to Commons, we'd like to make some other
significant deployment.

I haven't yet run this plan by Jan (hi Jan!), so it's subject to
change, but barring some unforeseen wrinkle, that's what we're rolling
with.

The long version:
As Peter said earlier this week, the last big blocker for using Timed
Media Handler (TMH) was the upgrade to Precise, which is now done
(yay!)

Currently on test2 for videos that where uploaded to test2 thumbnails
work, e.g.:
<http://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Citygroup_Center,_San_Francisco.ogv>

Thumbs stopped working for videos that are loaded from commons, e.g.
<http://test2.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Folgers.ogv>

The problem with the videos loaded from commons is that the expected
thumb name starts with "Mid-", and that OggHandler on Commons doesn't
support arbitrary pixel sizes in the request. Meanwhile, TMH assumes
that it can request video thumbs by pixel size.

Jan Gerber prepared a few fixes on Friday, and Aaron is going to
deploy those on Monday. Here's all of Jan's recent commits:
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/owner:J,n,z>

I *think* that will clear up the last of our issues that are known
blockers for wider deployment.

On Thursday, Tim, Aaron and I had a conversation on #mediawiki about
CPU time for thumbnailing based on some problems:
<http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/%23mediawiki/20121026.txt>

One minor thing we saw was that avconv (a fork of ffmpeg supported as
a replacement for ffmpeg in Ubuntu) seems to have slightly better
performance than ffmpeg. Jan plans to switch over to avconv.

We also noticed that it's possible to mop up a ton of CPU time
creating a video if the video is long enough (and maybe with only a
single keyframe at the beginning). However, Jan pointed out that TMH
uses command line switches that solve this problem by seeking a couple
seconds before the target frame before decoding (using the -ss
parameter on the input), and then decoding a couple seconds of video
to get a good snapshot. Here's the command line:
avconv -ss X -i video.ogv -ss Y -vframes 1 -an -f mjpeg out.jpg

with X=Y-2

This provides a bit of a buffer so that we can be reasonably sure that
avconv pulls in a keyframe, or at least has a chance to pull together
a good snapshot based on several other frames.

Assuming we get the last blocking bugs fixed tomorrow, then we should
be able to go onto Commons on Wednesday, so that's our current plan.
Let us know if there are issues with this.

Thanks!
Rob

mdale at wikimedia

Oct 28, 2012, 11:27 PM

Re: Switching to Timed Media Handler on Commons [In reply to]

On 10/28/12 11:41 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Assuming we get the last blocking bugs fixed tomorrow, then we should
> be able to go onto Commons on Wednesday, so that's our current plan.
> Let us know if there are issues with this.
>
> Thanks!
> Rob

Thanks for the update Rob.

I did not see details on the configuration phases in this deployment ?

On test2 the configuration supports uploading webm. Is the plan to
enable webm on commons prior to other wikis supporting the embedding of
webm files?

I guess this would not be completely disastrous; it should fail over to
links back to commons for unknown media types?

Also we have not yet connected test2 to the video-scalars / transcoding,
so imagine we will want to test that in the next few days? And we should
know ahead of time if the derivatives plan to be enabled on commons as
well. Again the other wikis won’t be able to embed the derivatives until
TMH is in use on them as well.

I know we conducted tests for TMH “playing” well with oggHandler
provider ( i.e the test2.wikipedia.org pages are embedding commons
videos but played back with TMH ) ... I am not sure if we have conducted
tests for oggHandler playing well with a TMH provider with the possible
configuration phases mentioned above.

Happy to see progress, I will try and be available if anything comes up.

--michael

jgerber at wikimedia

Oct 29, 2012, 2:52 PM

Re: Switching to Timed Media Handler on Commons [In reply to]

> I know we conducted tests for TMH playing well with oggHandler provider (
> i.e the test2.wikipedia.org pages are embedding commons videos but played
> back with TMH ) ... I am not sure if we have conducted tests for oggHandler
> playing well with a TMH provider with the possible configuration phases
> mentioned above.

good point. labs is setup like that now: en running OggHandler and commons TMH

http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/File:Citygroup_Center,_San_Francisco.ogv
http://commons.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/File:Citygroup_Center,_San_Francisco.ogv

so that part looks good to go. (should also test smaller embeds to be sure)