Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler

sumanah at wikimedia

Oct 2, 2012, 11:22 AM

Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler

I am delighted to announce that October 8th will be Andre Klapper's
first day as Wikimedia Foundation's Bug Wrangler. [0]

You've seen him on IRC as "andre__" and on mediawiki.org as Malyacko,
and sadly that's mostly how I'll be seeing him since he lives in the
Czech Republic. He speaks German, English, French, and Czech, and can
kinda read Russian. You might have met him at the 2012 Berlin hackathon.

Andre got into open source because he switched to Linux, had a support
question about GNOME Evolution, and got sucked into bug triage from
there. You can read more about that in his essay "Kick, Push" in Open
Advice <open-advice.org>. He's an editor of German- and
English-language Wikimedia projects, and has already started commenting
on and nudging bugs in our Bugzilla.

I know Andre through the GNOME community, where he is Bugzilla
maintainer and bugsquad member, member of the Release Team, member of
the Translation Project Coordination team, member of the Czech GNOME
translation teams, and author & maintainer of the GNOME Evolution user
documentation. And he organized and ran GNOME's part in Google Code-In
2010/11 and 2011/12, so he might have opinions on whether Wikimedia
should participate this year.

Remember Maemo? [1] Andre worked as bugmaster on Maemo and MeeGo as well.

I am thoroughly pleased that we were able to snag Andre for ourselves,
and think his abilities and experience make him a great addition to
WMF's Engineering Community Team and to Wikimedia. Welcome!

[0] In case you're new and wondering what a bug wrangler does:
http://tieguy.org/talks-files/LCA-2005-paper-html/index.html . In case
you're an old-timer: this is the same job Mark Hershberger did as
"Bugmeister" and I changed the title to something less gendered.

[1] Last year at the GSoC mentor summit, Andre and I were sitting next
to each other in a session, both got out our N900s to take notes, and
started laughing. It's like the Newton of our time.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

akshay.leadindia at gmail

Oct 2, 2012, 11:26 AM

Re: Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler [In reply to]

Welcome Andre!

Akshay

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia
> wrote:

> I am delighted to announce that October 8th will be Andre Klapper's
> first day as Wikimedia Foundation's Bug Wrangler. [0]
>
> You've seen him on IRC as "andre__" and on mediawiki.org as Malyacko,
> and sadly that's mostly how I'll be seeing him since he lives in the
> Czech Republic. He speaks German, English, French, and Czech, and can
> kinda read Russian. You might have met him at the 2012 Berlin hackathon.
>
> Andre got into open source because he switched to Linux, had a support
> question about GNOME Evolution, and got sucked into bug triage from
> there. You can read more about that in his essay "Kick, Push" in Open
> Advice <open-advice.org>. He's an editor of German- and
> English-language Wikimedia projects, and has already started commenting
> on and nudging bugs in our Bugzilla.
>
> I know Andre through the GNOME community, where he is Bugzilla
> maintainer and bugsquad member, member of the Release Team, member of
> the Translation Project Coordination team, member of the Czech GNOME
> translation teams, and author & maintainer of the GNOME Evolution user
> documentation. And he organized and ran GNOME's part in Google Code-In
> 2010/11 and 2011/12, so he might have opinions on whether Wikimedia
> should participate this year.
>
> Remember Maemo? [1] Andre worked as bugmaster on Maemo and MeeGo as well.
>
> I am thoroughly pleased that we were able to snag Andre for ourselves,
> and think his abilities and experience make him a great addition to
> WMF's Engineering Community Team and to Wikimedia. Welcome!
>

> [0] In case you're new and wondering what a bug wrangler does:
> http://tieguy.org/talks-files/LCA-2005-paper-html/index.html . In case
> you're an old-timer: this is the same job Mark Hershberger did as
> "Bugmeister" and I changed the title to something less gendered.
>
> [1] Last year at the GSoC mentor summit, Andre and I were sitting next
> to each other in a session, both got out our N900s to take notes, and
> started laughing. It's like the Newton of our time.
>
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

quimgil at gmail

Oct 2, 2012, 11:31 AM

Re: Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler [In reply to]

On 10/02/2012 11:22 AM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> I am delighted to announce that October 8th will be Andre Klapper's
> first day as Wikimedia Foundation's Bug Wrangler.

This is great! Congratulations!

I had the pleasure to work with Andre both in the GNOME and Maemo /
MeeGo contexts. He really does what it says in the label.

So... Do you think we can have an upgraded weekly bug report by Monday
15, then? ;)

--
Quim

jforrester at wikimedia

Oct 2, 2012, 11:34 AM

Re: Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler [In reply to]

On 2 October 2012 11:22, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I am delighted to announce that October 8th will be Andre Klapper's
> first day as Wikimedia Foundation's Bug Wrangler. [0]

[Snip]

> I am thoroughly pleased that we were able to snag Andre for ourselves,
> and think his abilities and experience make him a great addition to
> WMF's Engineering Community Team and to Wikimedia. Welcome!

Welcome, Andre!

J.
--
James D. Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor

jforrester [at] wikimedia | @jdforrester | +1 415-839-6885 x6844

erik at wikimedia

Oct 2, 2012, 11:44 AM

Re: Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I am thoroughly pleased that we were able to snag Andre for ourselves,
> and think his abilities and experience make him a great addition to
> WMF's Engineering Community Team and to Wikimedia. Welcome!

Agreed - we couldn't ask for a better profile for a Bug Wrangler.
Andre's experience in a Bugmeister^Wbug wrangling role role for major
open source projects should come in very handy, and I look forward to
his contributions :-)

Welcome on board, Andre!

All best,

Erik

--
Erik M÷ller

lydia.pintscher at wikimedia

Oct 2, 2012, 2:18 PM

Re: Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I am delighted to announce that October 8th will be Andre Klapper's
> first day as Wikimedia Foundation's Bug Wrangler. [0]
>
> You've seen him on IRC as "andre__" and on mediawiki.org as Malyacko,
> and sadly that's mostly how I'll be seeing him since he lives in the
> Czech Republic. He speaks German, English, French, and Czech, and can
> kinda read Russian. You might have met him at the 2012 Berlin hackathon.
>
> Andre got into open source because he switched to Linux, had a support
> question about GNOME Evolution, and got sucked into bug triage from
> there. You can read more about that in his essay "Kick, Push" in Open
> Advice <open-advice.org>. He's an editor of German- and
> English-language Wikimedia projects, and has already started commenting
> on and nudging bugs in our Bugzilla.
>
> I know Andre through the GNOME community, where he is Bugzilla
> maintainer and bugsquad member, member of the Release Team, member of
> the Translation Project Coordination team, member of the Czech GNOME
> translation teams, and author & maintainer of the GNOME Evolution user
> documentation. And he organized and ran GNOME's part in Google Code-In
> 2010/11 and 2011/12, so he might have opinions on whether Wikimedia
> should participate this year.
>
> Remember Maemo? [1] Andre worked as bugmaster on Maemo and MeeGo as well.
>
> I am thoroughly pleased that we were able to snag Andre for ourselves,
> and think his abilities and experience make him a great addition to
> WMF's Engineering Community Team and to Wikimedia. Welcome!
>

> [0] In case you're new and wondering what a bug wrangler does:
> http://tieguy.org/talks-files/LCA-2005-paper-html/index.html . In case
> you're an old-timer: this is the same job Mark Hershberger did as
> "Bugmeister" and I changed the title to something less gendered.
>
> [1] Last year at the GSoC mentor summit, Andre and I were sitting next
> to each other in a session, both got out our N900s to take notes, and
> started laughing. It's like the Newton of our time.

Wohooooo! Great to have you on board, Andre. Seems our ways are
crossing a lot lately ;-)

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur F├Ârderung Freien Wissens e. V.

unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinn├╝tzig anerkannt durch das
Finanzamt f├╝r K├Ârperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

aklapper at wikimedia

Oct 8, 2012, 10:10 AM

Re: Andre Klapper starts 8 October as WMF Bug Wrangler [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 14:22 -0400, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> I am delighted to announce that October 8th will be Andre Klapper's
> first day as Wikimedia Foundation's Bug Wrangler. [0]

Thanks Sumana and everybody for the warm welcome!
In the next days I'll start with my list of stuff to look into & think
about, and I'm interested in your thoughts and comments on the current
bug management process.
More news and ideas to come once things are sorted out a bit more. :)

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/