1.20 blocker bugs and code merges

mah at everybody

Sep 30, 2012, 12:09 PM

1.20 blocker bugs and code merges

While going through the bugs that were marked as 1.20 tarball blockers
today, most seemed to have been left to rot -- that is, they didn't
really deserve the tag since people were not motivated to fix them and
the people who marked them 1.20 tarball blockers didn't put in the
effort to find someone to fix them.

Sometimes, that person was me, so this shouldn't be seen as overly harsh
criticism.

I did see a couple of exceptions:

* https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/38273 -- Tidy occasionally isn't
executed

Seems to be happening somewhat regularly since July on different WMF
sites. Some effort to track it down has been made, but no solution has
been found yet. I've a feeling this bug would bite third-party users of
MW if we released a tarball with it.

* https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/35894 -- Reports of secret key
generation "hanging" on windows`

This is a bug that will really affect only new tarball users on Windows.
While this probably isn't a lot of people, I would still like to see it
fixed before a tarball is released. MaxSem had some ideas and I'll talk
to him about how feasibly he can implement them.

Otherwise, there are several patches mostly by Krinkle that need to be
merged for a 1.20 tarball:

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/31676 - ResourceLoader should work
around IE stylesheet limit
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/38158 - jquery.byteLimit sometimes
causes an unexpected 0 maxLength being enforced
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/40448 - Replace
mediawiki.legacy.mwsuggest with SimpleSearch.
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/40500 - ResourceLoader should not ignore
media-type for urls in debug mode
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/35923 - Followup to bug 11374 - tweaks
to mediawiki.action.history.diff.css
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/40498 - ResourceLoader should not output
an empty "@media print { }" block.

I still plan on being in #wikimedia-dev at UTC1100 on Tuesday, October 2
(See [0] for timezone conversion) for the triage, but I'll probably be
spending that time putting in merge requests for the above issues
(unless someone beats me to it).

Also Tuesday, I'll make a new tarball with the code merged as my final
release candidate for 1.20. Sam has said that because we're doing a
review-first model with Gerrit people should feel more liberty to put
merge requests in, so have at it! [1]

Mark.

[0-short] <http://hexm.de/lr>
[0-long]
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=10&day=2&hour=11&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=44&p3=37&p4=136&p5=179&p6=224>

[1-short] <http://hexm.de/lw>
[1-long]
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/status:open+project:mediawiki/core+branch:REL1_20,n,z>

--
http://hexmode.com/

Necessitous men are not, truly speaking, free men.
-- Vernon v Bethell (1762), quoted by FDR's Second Bill of Rights

mah at everybody

Oct 12, 2012, 7:16 AM

Re: 1.20 blocker bugs and code merges [In reply to]

I've been pretty busy with other work all week and, as a result, I
haven't had time to look at the 1.20 release. On September 30 (2 weeks
ago) I sent out a message with what I saw as the blocker bugs at that point.

Only one of those bugs does not yet have any sort of resolution on it.

> * https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/35894 -- Reports of secret key
> generation "hanging" on windows`

At this point, I think we should add a "known issues" section to the
release notes and plan to have a 1.20.1 release with this so that I can
put together an RC1 tarball tomorrow for you guys to test.

That said, some bugs have been added to the 1.20.0 milestone, but unless
there is a major objection, I'd like to target those to the 1.20.1
release so that we don't hold up the 1.20.0 release any longer. These
bugs could be listed in the "known issues" section of the release notes
with a statement that we're planning a 1.20.1 release.

And, speaking of plans, I will have time to write up my ideas for a
release schedule tomorrow. This will mean plans for future releases as
well as support for 1.19 and 1.18.

Mark.

robla at wikimedia

Oct 12, 2012, 9:27 AM

Re: 1.20 blocker bugs and code merges [In reply to]

Hi Mark,

Comments inline:

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah [at] everybody> wrote:
> At this point, I think we should add a "known issues" section to the
> release notes and plan to have a 1.20.1 release with this so that I can
> put together an RC1 tarball tomorrow for you guys to test.
>
> That said, some bugs have been added to the 1.20.0 milestone, but unless
> there is a major objection, I'd like to target those to the 1.20.1
> release so that we don't hold up the 1.20.0 release any longer. These
> bugs could be listed in the "known issues" section of the release notes
> with a statement that we're planning a 1.20.1 release.

Yup, that sounds reasonable.

> And, speaking of plans, I will have time to write up my ideas for a
> release schedule tomorrow. This will mean plans for future releases as
> well as support for 1.19 and 1.18.

Great, thanks for doing this!

Rob