request: "average code review wait time" dashboard

sumanah at wikimedia

Sep 10, 2012, 12:41 PM

request: "average code review wait time" dashboard

http://eaves.ca/2012/08/30/community-managers-expectations-experience-and-culture-matter/

"This is why I keep saying things like code review dashboards matter. I
bet if this user could at least *see* what the average wait time is for
code review he'd have been much, much happier. Even if that wait time
were a month... at least he'd have known *what to expect.* Of course
improving the experience and community culture are harder problems to
solve... but they clearly would have helped as well."

I would love for someone to integrate that kind of wait-time indicator
into https://toolserver.org/~bawolff/gerrit-stats.htm or
http://gerrit-stats.wmflabs.org/ . My suggested stats: the
min/median/average/maximum time between a patchset's submission and its
merge or abandonment, and the min/median/average/maximum time between
patchset submission and any +1 or -1, divided up by Gerrit repository.

Anyone who works on this will probably also want to join the FLOSS
communities metrics working group:

Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager
Wikimedia Foundation

z at mzmcbride

Sep 10, 2012, 6:14 PM

Re: request: "average code review wait time" dashboard [In reply to]

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> I would love for someone to integrate that kind of wait-time indicator
> into https://toolserver.org/~bawolff/gerrit-stats.htm or
> http://gerrit-stats.wmflabs.org/ . My suggested stats: the
> min/median/average/maximum time between a patchset's submission and its
> merge or abandonment, and the min/median/average/maximum time between
> patchset submission and any +1 or -1, divided up by Gerrit repository.

Is there a Gerrit API?

MZMcBride

bawolff+wn at gmail

Sep 12, 2012, 9:50 AM

Re: request: "average code review wait time" dashboard [In reply to]

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM, MZMcBride <z [at] mzmcbride> wrote:
> Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
>> I would love for someone to integrate that kind of wait-time indicator
>> into https://toolserver.org/~bawolff/gerrit-stats.htm or
>> http://gerrit-stats.wmflabs.org/ . My suggested stats: the
>> min/median/average/maximum time between a patchset's submission and its
>> merge or abandonment, and the min/median/average/maximum time between
>> patchset submission and any +1 or -1, divided up by Gerrit repository.
>
> Is there a Gerrit API?
>
> MZMcBride

Yes. Its kind of weird though. Basically you can make an ssh
connection to gerrit, give it a search query, and it will return
results in json.

See http://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn-history/r3021/documentation/2.1.4/cmd-query.html

> I would love for someone to integrate that kind of wait-time indicator
>into https://toolserver.org/~bawolff/gerrit-stats.htm ...

Me too! :)

--bawolff