Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release?

smazeland at wikimedia

Aug 31, 2012, 12:19 AM

Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release?

Hi all,

Wikimedia is at 1.20/wmf10 now. That means that it has been working
with 1.20 alpha for the past 20 weeks. Isn't is about time we start
preparing something usable called 1.20, 2.0, or whatever, for the
outside world, too? Previous experiences tell us that getting
something release ready takes at least 6 weeks, so we we'd want to
have a stable release by end of October, we'll have to starting doing
something very soon.

Cheers!

--
Siebrand Mazeland
Product Manager Localisation

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

mah at everybody

Aug 31, 2012, 6:29 AM

Re: Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release? [In reply to]

On 08/31/2012 03:19 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) wrote:
> Wikimedia is at 1.20/wmf10 now. That means that it has been working
> with 1.20 alpha for the past 20 weeks. Isn't is about time we start
> preparing something usable called 1.20, 2.0, or whatever, for the
> outside world, too?

I've started discussing the tarball issue here
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Tarball_maintenance) this
week. If we assume that this starts the 6 week cycle, then we should
have a release during the first week of October.

Mark

--
http://hexmode.com/

Human evil is not a problem. It is a mystery. It cannot be solved.
-- When Atheism Becomes a Religion, Chris Hedges

tylerromeo at gmail

Aug 31, 2012, 6:35 AM

Re: Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release? [In reply to]

Honestly, I'd love to see Daniel's password hashing system merged before
the next release, if that's at all possible.

*--*
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science
www.whizkidztech.com | tylerromeo [at] gmail

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah [at] everybody>wrote:

> On 08/31/2012 03:19 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) wrote:
> > Wikimedia is at 1.20/wmf10 now. That means that it has been working
> > with 1.20 alpha for the past 20 weeks. Isn't is about time we start
> > preparing something usable called 1.20, 2.0, or whatever, for the
> > outside world, too?
>
> I've started discussing the tarball issue here
> (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Tarball_maintenance)
> this
> week. If we assume that this starts the 6 week cycle, then we should
> have a release during the first week of October.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> http://hexmode.com/
>
> Human evil is not a problem. It is a mystery. It cannot be solved.
> -- When Atheism Becomes a Religion, Chris Hedges

robla at wikimedia

Aug 31, 2012, 2:02 PM

Re: Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release? [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah [at] everybody> wrote:
> On 08/31/2012 03:19 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) wrote:
>> Wikimedia is at 1.20/wmf10 now. That means that it has been working
>> with 1.20 alpha for the past 20 weeks. Isn't is about time we start
>> preparing something usable called 1.20, 2.0, or whatever, for the
>> outside world, too?
>
> I've started discussing the tarball issue here
> (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Tarball_maintenance) this
> week. If we assume that this starts the 6 week cycle, then we should
> have a release during the first week of October.

I think this is fine. The steps for making the tarball are here
(including link to make-release):
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_checklist

I don't think we should make this the "2.0" release.

Sam would be the one to publish the tarball, but anyone can generate
an unofficial alpha tarball, and I'd encourage that.

I'd like to get something finished in October (I was hoping September,
actually, but events seem to have overwhelmed that). Getting things
done by then means not waiting for anything that doesn't make it in
soon. We should probably branch from the same branch point as
1.20wmf12.

Rob

mah at everybody

Aug 31, 2012, 7:01 PM

Re: Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release? [In reply to]

On 08/31/2012 05:02 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Sam would be the one to publish the tarball, but anyone can generate
> an unofficial alpha tarball, and I'd encourage that.

We can already use the code to create a tarball, we already have
nightlies (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Nightlies), and we already
have the GPL license to distribute the code, so how do you see this working?

How would unofficial alpha tarballs carry any weight with anyone if
there isn't a direct path from alpha to release? It seems like that is
just encouraging forking, something that I'm trying to avoid.

Is this a quality or security concern? If so, could you clarify the
risks you see?

I like Sam and think he is very responsive to the community, but this
sounds like the Foundation is treating the tarball as a /direct/
interest when its interest in the tarball is an indirect one as you've
said before in http://hexm.de/la (gmane link):

I've lobbed the idea out there of MediaWiki-focused fundraising to
WMF people outside of WMF Engineering, to somewhat lukewarm response
in the past.

The Foundation already accepts code contributions and allows code re-use
through its source repository and the GPL license, so remaining the
tarball gatekeeper seems unnecessary.

Why not allow the community to make a tarball release if the community
cannot give money to support the tarball?

Mark.

robla at wikimedia

Sep 4, 2012, 12:45 AM

Re: Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release? [In reply to]

Hi Mark,

Comments inline

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah [at] everybody> wrote:
> On 08/31/2012 05:02 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>> Sam would be the one to publish the tarball, but anyone can generate
>> an unofficial alpha tarball, and I'd encourage that.
>
> We can already use the code to create a tarball, we already have
> nightlies (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Nightlies), and we already
> have the GPL license to distribute the code, so how do you see this working?
>
> How would unofficial alpha tarballs carry any weight with anyone if
> there isn't a direct path from alpha to release? It seems like that is
> just encouraging forking, something that I'm trying to avoid.

It's not forking. It's helping with the pre-release practice. If
you're running the same scripts, and going through the same process
we'd eventually go through, then what we're doing is simply a rubber
stamp (and can probably just automate it at some point). This isn't
much different than the process that some Linux kernel devs follow
sometimes (e.g. Andrew Morton) prior to an official Linux release from
Linus.

> Why not allow the community to make a tarball release if the community
> cannot give money to support the tarball?

Because "the community" isn't going to produce the tarball. Someone
in the community (you?) will be doing it, and I want whoever we hand
the keys to build some trust in with everyone else that they are going
to release a quality product before anointing them. Or rather, before
I can recommend we do it; it's not solely my decision.

The step of actually uploading the tarball to the right place on
mediawiki.org is the most mechanical (and thus least interesting) part
of the process anyway. Authorship of the release notes, testing on
various platforms with different databases, identifying and fixing the
blockers, and applying the last bits of polish are the parts that
generally take the longest. And, as near as I know, none of that is
done, so let's focus on those bits.

Rob

mah at everybody

Sep 4, 2012, 5:52 PM

Re: Status on MediaWiki 1.20 release? [In reply to]

On 09/04/2012 03:45 AM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah [at] everybody> wrote:
>> On 08/31/2012 05:02 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>>> Sam would be the one to publish the tarball, but anyone can generate
>>> an unofficial alpha tarball, and I'd encourage that.
>>
>> How would unofficial alpha tarballs carry any weight with anyone if
>> there isn't a direct path from alpha to release? It seems like that is
>> just encouraging forking, something that I'm trying to avoid.
>
> It's not forking. It's helping with the pre-release practice.

Agreed.

And, as you can imagine, when I have some time (this coming weekend?)
I'll try to put together a alpha 1.20 tarball.

> I want whoever we hand
> the keys to build some trust in with everyone else that they are going
> to release a quality product before anointing them. Or rather, before
> I can recommend we do it; it's not solely my decision.

Thanks for clarifying, this seems completely reasonable..

Mark.