Appreciation thread

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia wikitech RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sumanah at wikimedia

Aug 22, 2012, 4:40 PM

Appreciation thread

I'd like to give a shout-out to some people who made my day better:

+ Brian Wolff (bawolff), for thoughtful commentary on code and on our
social infrastructure
+ Lydia Pintscher, for diligent, thoughtful and cheerful shepherding of
Wikidata conversation
+ Daniel Zahn, for adding Bugzilla tracking to
http://status.wikimedia.org/8777/263658/Bugzilla

How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.

[.If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll comfort
you. :-)]
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

nadreck at gmail

Aug 22, 2012, 4:55 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

I want to thank all of the GSoC developers who have been showing off the
results of their labor. It's great to see so many positive outcomes and
great work coming about.

Nabil

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia
> wrote:

> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.

mtraceur at member

Aug 22, 2012, 5:16 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.

In the style of Drew Carey (the points don't matter):

Two thousand and twenty points to Timo (Krinkle) for his consistently
insightful JavaScript review.

Seven hundred and nineteen points to Reedy for his omnipresence.

Pi to the fifth points to Chris McMahon for being awesome in many ways,
most notably the recent EtherEditor testing he helped with.

I'm sure there are many other great people, but others will surely help
to thank them all :)

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation

lydia.pintscher at wikimedia

Aug 23, 2012, 1:19 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I'd like to give a shout-out to some people who made my day better:
>
> + Brian Wolff (bawolff), for thoughtful commentary on code and on our
> social infrastructure
> + Lydia Pintscher, for diligent, thoughtful and cheerful shepherding of
> Wikidata conversation
> + Daniel Zahn, for adding Bugzilla tracking to
> http://status.wikimedia.org/8777/263658/Bugzilla
>
> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.
>
> [.If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll comfort
> you. :-)]

Awww. Thank you!
Ok so here's my list:
+ the whole i18n/l10n team for hitting us on the head gently (!) when
we're doing it wrong and always being there to give advice when needed
+ Sumana for GSoC work (there are 1000 other things but I have to pick
_something_) because I know how hard and important this is from
experience ;-)

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

denny.vrandecic at wikimedia

Aug 23, 2012, 1:35 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

What a great idea, Sumana!

I want to thank many people, but those who come into my mind immediately...

* RobLa, for diligently helping with the Wikidata blockers and nudging
people to work together

* Sam Reed and Ryan Kaldari for teaching the Wikidata team a lot
during their stays in Berlin

* Tim Starling for his heroic work with Daniel K on the infamous
ContentHandler branch, and for his continued support of the Wikidata
work - and the awesome work on Lua. I am excited to see what
Lua+Wikidata will enable...

* Dantman for taking the fire out of the discussion two weeks ago
around the Sites table and bringing it to a constructive continuation

* Siebrand and his team for the work on ULS, their support in using
it, and his moral support

* the rest of the Wikidata team that I am blessed to call my
colleagues, and who are a pleasure to work with. Thank you!

As said, this is an incomplete list, but it already got too long.

Cheers,
Denny

2012/8/23 Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia>:
> I'd like to give a shout-out to some people who made my day better:
>
> + Brian Wolff (bawolff), for thoughtful commentary on code and on our
> social infrastructure
> + Lydia Pintscher, for diligent, thoughtful and cheerful shepherding of
> Wikidata conversation
> + Daniel Zahn, for adding Bugzilla tracking to
> http://status.wikimedia.org/8777/263658/Bugzilla
>
> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.
>
> [.If you don't get thanked and you feel mopey, email me and I'll comfort
> you. :-)]
> --
> Sumana Harihareswara
> Engineering Community Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation

Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das

niklas.laxstrom at gmail

Aug 23, 2012, 2:30 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On 23 August 2012 02:40, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.

* Sumana for this idea.
* Peter, Asher, Siebrand, Oren, Alolita and others who have helped to
forward translation memories for Translate on WMF.
* Robin for being a honest gsoc student and improving language
support. You taught me more than you know.
* Harry for being a tireless gsoc co-student and going through my
extra strict code review without complaints.
* Siebrand for random act of kindness.
* Chad for listening my harsh Gerrit feedback and still not hating me
* Nemo_bis for being a pokemaster[1] for translatewiki.net, among other things.
* Tim for substantive help with the CLDR plural rules project.

-Niklas

[1] Talking about developers, not pokemons here.

--
Niklas Laxström

cmcmahon at wikimedia

Aug 23, 2012, 11:13 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Mark Holmquist <mtraceur [at] member>wrote

> Pi to the fifth points to Chris McMahon for being awesome in many ways,
> most notably the recent EtherEditor testing he helped with.

Back atcha. Mark is cranking out a ton of code on several projects, is a
go-to guy on IRC, contributing on every front.

And while I'm here:

Antoine Musso and Faidon Liambotis are handling some really huge issues so
quietly and unobtrusively that you would never know there was an issue in
the first place.

Matthias Mullie has replaced an entire boutique third-party dev shop on the
AFTv5 project with grace and style.

Fabrice Florin is one of the best project managers I've ever worked with.
Outstanding on every front, from documentation to communication to
testing.

Finally, everyone chatting on #wikimedia-staff. As a remote person, that
IRC channel is my link to the office and WMF culture, I learn a lot from
everything that goes on there.

ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail

Aug 23, 2012, 12:18 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Sumana Harihareswara
<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.

Thanks to Jeroen, because he fixes bugs super fast and it's been cool
working with him to get the Education Program extension ready.

Thanks to Max, because his public poking and prodding and complaining
help me (as a non-dev) understand better how our tech systems work.

-Sage

roan.kattouw at gmail

Aug 23, 2012, 6:29 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Niklas Laxstrm
<niklas.laxstrom [at] gmail> wrote:
> * Sumana for this idea.
+1

Also:
* Inez for writing code I intended to write, exactly the way I
intended to write it, while I was busy with something else yesterday
* Timo (Krinkle) for announcing he's back from vacation via the gerrit-wm bot
* The rest of the VE team for being generally awesome
* Aaron, Ariel, Ben and Faidon (and anyone else that's working on this
that I'm forgetting) for their relentless work on the Swift migration
this week

Roan

erik at wikimedia

Aug 23, 2012, 7:50 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

<sumanah [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other?

Completely random appreciation for whoever implemented the "undo"
feature in MediaWiki, one of its many hidden gems. :-)

Slightly less random but no less impersonal appreciation for all devs
who're going the extra mile to make our projects re-usable by third
parties (i18n project milkshake, Visual Editor team, analytics team,
etc.), and for contributing back upstream when we're building on code
written by others.

Personal appreciation for Yuvi Panda for being a force of awesome and
making a Wikipedia Signpost app. :-)

--
Erik Mller

datzrott at alizeepathology

Aug 24, 2012, 6:27 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other?

Sumana for being such a kind person and deciding that it would be a good idea
for us to remember that we need to show each other some love sometimes in order
to stay sane.

MZMcBride for sparking some discussions that really needed to be discussed.

All of the people who have helped me troubleshoot that annoying email issue
I was having before.

Everyone on this list for giving me something to do that breaks up my work
day with something of interest to me personally.

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott

otto at wikimedia

Aug 24, 2012, 6:58 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

Many many many thanks Rob H, Peter Y, Leslie C, Ben H, Ryan L, Faidon, Daniel Z, Mark B, Chris J, and everyone else on the ops team that has put up with my IRC poking and prodding thus far. You guys are a huge help to the analytics team. Thanks for guiding me through and teaching me the systems, and for feedback for my puppet stuff. :)

On Aug 23, 2012, at 9:29 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Niklas Laxstrm
> <niklas.laxstrom [at] gmail> wrote:
>> * Sumana for this idea.
> +1
>
> Also:
> * Inez for writing code I intended to write, exactly the way I
> intended to write it, while I was busy with something else yesterday
> * Timo (Krinkle) for announcing he's back from vacation via the gerrit-wm bot
> * The rest of the VE team for being generally awesome
> * Aaron, Ariel, Ben and Faidon (and anyone else that's working on this
> that I'm forgetting) for their relentless work on the Swift migration
> this week
>
> Roan

otto at wikimedia

Aug 24, 2012, 7:02 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

Oh and thanks to Jeremy B too! He's been super helpful at directing my questions to the proper know-it-all.

On Aug 24, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Andrew Otto <otto [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Many many many thanks Rob H, Peter Y, Leslie C, Ben H, Ryan L, Faidon, Daniel Z, Mark B, Chris J, and everyone else on the ops team that has put up with my IRC poking and prodding thus far. You guys are a huge help to the analytics team. Thanks for guiding me through and teaching me the systems, and for feedback for my puppet stuff. :)
>

> On Aug 23, 2012, at 9:29 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Niklas Laxstrm
>> <niklas.laxstrom [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> * Sumana for this idea.
>> +1
>>
>> Also:
>> * Inez for writing code I intended to write, exactly the way I
>> intended to write it, while I was busy with something else yesterday
>> * Timo (Krinkle) for announcing he's back from vacation via the gerrit-wm bot
>> * The rest of the VE team for being generally awesome
>> * Aaron, Ariel, Ben and Faidon (and anyone else that's working on this
>> that I'm forgetting) for their relentless work on the Swift migration
>> this week
>>
>> Roan

datzrott at alizeepathology

Aug 24, 2012, 7:11 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

>Oh and thanks to Jeremy B too! He's been super helpful at directing my
>questions to the proper know-it-all.

You know, that is something I don't think many of us think about on this list
terribly often. We have quite a nice "brain-trust" going here. Between all of
us, our knowledge is really quite extensive.

Its nice being able to enjoy conversation with very intelligent people on
intelligent topics. I think that is something everyone on this list can
probably appreciate right?

Thank you,
Derric Atzrott

katkov.juriy at gmail

Aug 24, 2012, 8:52 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

I respect very much the creators of Article Feedback extension: we
have used it in our wikis and it really rocks. I also is very thankful
to all semantic extensions community - the guys patiently answer my
questions every single day and the work they do is just fantastic.
-----
Yury Katkov

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Derric Atzrott
<datzrott [at] alizeepathology> wrote:
>>Oh and thanks to Jeremy B too! He's been super helpful at directing my
>>questions to the proper know-it-all.
>
> You know, that is something I don't think many of us think about on this list
> terribly often. We have quite a nice "brain-trust" going here. Between all of
> us, our knowledge is really quite extensive.
>
> Its nice being able to enjoy conversation with very intelligent people on
> intelligent topics. I think that is something everyone on this list can
> probably appreciate right?
>
> Thank you,
> Derric Atzrott

amir.aharoni at mail

Aug 24, 2012, 9:07 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.

The order is random.

* To Victor Vasiliev (vvv) for his ongoing commitment to making the
templates not suck.

* To SPQRobin for his ongoing commitment to making MediaWiki usable to
users who speak all languages, no matter how small or exotic.

* To Krinkle, for being endlessly and tirelessly helpful,
professional, eloquent and just plain nice.

* To Yuvi and the rest of the mobile team for solving so many bugs so quickly.

* Finally, to Katie, Lydia, Denny, Silke, Jens, Daniel and the rest of
the Wikidata crew, for doing their Magick and for being Very Seriously
Committed to making Wikidata no less than a Great Success.

I could go on for very long, but I'll stop here.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

dzahn at wikimedia

Aug 24, 2012, 10:07 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

in random order:

* To James Alexander for fixing a lot of Planet URLs.

* To Ryan and Faidon for their replies on the mailing list archive issues

* To Ben for advice on all the benefits package paperwork i was not
familiar with

* To Mark H. for still replying to my Bugzilla questions even though
he is busy with non-wmf things

roan.kattouw at gmail

Aug 24, 2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Erik Moeller <erik [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> Completely random appreciation for whoever implemented the "undo"
> feature in MediaWiki, one of its many hidden gems. :-)

Looks like the main contributors to this were Andrew Garrett in July
2006 [1] and December 2006 [2], Aaron Schulz in March 2007 [3], and
Andrew again in July 2007 [4].

So appreciation for them, the other old hands that have been around
for such an incredibly long time, and all the other committers that
created the tens of thousands of commits in MediaWiki's history [5];
it's always interesting to dig through them when looking up old stuff
like this.

Roan

[1] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/core.git;a=commitdiff;h=f062b09dc38a0612a92a5dba08dc01746b6f42f2
[2] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/core.git;a=commitdiff;h=c490d265fa711547ff110438540b4f3457079fa2
[3] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/core.git;a=commitdiff;h=0fe87673b78482cfe60b02e2937d1284d83ad4d8
[4] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/core.git;a=commitdiff;h=d53b216aa7819db154b3bde9cb797f20f42900f5
[5] For those of you wondering "shouldn't that be 'over 100k?': there
were about 114k revisions in SVN at the time of the git migration, but
those weren't all MW core. At the time of this writing, there were
about 43k commits in the mediawiki/core.git history (excluding merge
commits).

robla at wikimedia

Aug 24, 2012, 5:29 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Niklas Laxstrm
<niklas.laxstrom [at] gmail> wrote:
> * Sumana for this idea.

Seconded.

Also thanks to:
* Denny and Daniel for sending the very helpful summaries of Wikidata
blockers, and being patient with us as we review their work
* Jack Phoenix for the well-ordered task list on Admin tools development[1]
* Tim for letting me cut to the front of the line with a last minute
review request yesterday
* Roan for jumping right on the jQuery issues this week

Of course, this is by no means comprehensive, just what I can think of
right now.

Rob

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Admin_tools_development

helder.wiki at gmail

Aug 25, 2012, 12:23 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Niklas Laxstrm
<niklas.laxstrom [at] gmail> wrote:
> * Sumana for this idea.
+1

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Daniel Zahn <dzahn [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> * To Mark H. for still replying to my Bugzilla questions even though
> he is busy with non-wmf things

+1

Helder

mtraceur at member

Aug 25, 2012, 6:50 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

I'd like to amend my thanks to include Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj), who has
done some awesome work today helping with bug triage, code review, and
patches for UploadWizard. Great stuff! It should make our
review/bug-closing sprint a lot quicker.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation
mtraceur [at] member
http://marktraceur.info

mah at everybody

Aug 26, 2012, 10:17 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

On 08/24/2012 09:28 AM, Derric Atzrott wrote:
> MZMcBride for sparking some discussions that really needed to be
> discussed.

I was thinking of who I appreciated and thought I would mention MZ, too.

I do, of course, appreciate every one else who has been mentioned, but I
think it is important to mention MZ.

Although he is often seen as an irritant, the Foundation needs a
community member like MZ who sticks around (so he is familiar to the
people working in the Foundation) and who consistently and loudly
reminds the Foundation how they could better serve the community.

MZ plays an important part: In an organisation like the WMF, groupthink
can be a problem. MZ points out the problems that people would rather
ignore or gloss over.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Human evil is not a problem. It is a mystery. It cannot be solved.
-- When Atheism Becomes a Religion, Chris Hedges

jdlrobson at gmail

Aug 26, 2012, 11:03 AM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

> MZ plays an important part: In an organisation like the WMF, groupthink
> can be a problem. MZ points out the problems that people would rather
> ignore or gloss over.

+1

z at mzmcbride

Aug 26, 2012, 12:46 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> How about a little email thread for us to say nice things about each
> other? Rules: be kind, thank someone, and say why you're thanking them.

I know a few people have thanked you for starting this thread, but I
actually came to appreciate you and your work much more in your absence
earlier this month. It wasn't as obvious how much you do (particularly in
bug wrangling and poking and prodding) until you were taking a well-deserved
vacation. "The reward for a job well done is another three jobs," as David
Gerard says. Your ever-growing portfolio shows the truth in this. :-)

I'm also very grateful for the patience of the wikitech-l community (and
more broadly the MediaWiki development community), who choose to put up with
me and other Wikimedians. It's no secret that Wikimedians are a pain in the
ass to work with: they're quite often hyper-critical, needy, insolent, and
stubborn. They complain loudly and congratulate softly. And this of course
doesn't get into the problems they cause by speaking far too many languages
and wanting MediaWiki to do everything under the sun. ;-) But the
developers take it all in stride and they do their best to make the user
experience (software, hardware, and everything in between) better each
iteration, all while dealing with a sometimes painfully unsociable lot of
people. For that, I'm have a deep amount of appreciation and respect.

MZMcBride

jack at countervandalism

Aug 27, 2012, 1:58 PM

Re: Appreciation thread [In reply to]

Thank you to Sumana for all your hard work, including GSoC administration
and much, much more -- and obviously for starting this thread. This is
exactly the kind of positive community spirit we need!

Also thanks to the admin tools development team (Chris Steipp, Tim
Starling, James Alexander, Guillaume Paumier) for all writing much needed
new tools and making sure that they work and that communication between the
team and the rest of the world happens. :-)
Also thanks to Rob Lanphier for giving me the opportunity to act as the
Product Manager for the admin tools development project, despite the fact
that I lacked previous experience in the field.

MZMcBride definitely deserves to be thanked for saying out loud a lot of
difficult and potentially controversial things, on-wiki as well as on
various different mailing lists. It's important that the community has
critical members who dare to question the current state of things, as well
as the future direction of things and the reasoning behind those.

The above names are in no particular order and a lot of people who have
worked on, are working on and plan to work on MediaWiki deserve a lot more
praise than what they've gotten so far. So, thanks to everyone who ever has
worked with MediaWiki in some way (not necessarily in software development)
-- you folks make the Internet not suck.

Thanks and regards,
--
Jack Phoenix
MediaWiki developer